• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens when we die?

XAAX

may said:
very true, thats what i did and the filter got rid of all the rubbish not based on the bible , and now i have found the true christian faith.......refreshment indeed

My complements may, a post that does not contain a scripture quote. You better watch out. Don’t start slacking now…lol…Just kidding. For real though, I don’t know what’s going on with you. But rapping yourself up in biblical scripture like you do is only going to suffocate you spiritually in the end.

Nothing wrong with believing in the bible if that is your choice. But in the end it will not give you true insight into God. It can give you good morals, good stories, and a good basic premise to live by. But God exists beyond its pages. Jesus would agree, and does if you truly know the bible. Jesus didn’t believe in organized religion but instead preached against it. That’s what he had against the religion of his time period. He didn’t write the bible, nor would he have. A pagan that didn’t even believe in Jesus put it together to control his kingdom. The books were more of a biography of Jesus than anything else. Now I’ll state it again, If you want to follow Jesus and that is your choice. As far as choosing a person to follow, he is a good choice. More love in the world would be a great thing. Just don’t get caught up in all the misleading information you can get from the bible as to what is right and wrong morally. You shouldn’t need an unauthorized autobiography to tell you the difference between right and wrong.:)

may

Bick said:
May, look up all the places where people are said to be resurrected and I'm sure you will find no reference to them being made immortal. IMO, they all died again!

Bick
yes i agree the resurrections that Jesus did , the people died again . but the ones that will be going to heaven the little flock , annointed ones (144,000) they will have imortality in the heavens . but the rest of us even though we die we have the hope of the earthly resurrection. and at that time if we choose to be inline with Jesus we can live forever on the earth . when Jesus brought people back to life in his day ,it was to show people Jehovahs power working through him. he was showing on a small scale the things that will happen on a large scale at a future time

may

XAAX said:
My complements may, a post that does not contain a scripture quote. You better watch out. Don’t start slacking now…lol…Just kidding. For real though, I don’t know what’s going on with you. But rapping yourself up in biblical scripture like you do is only going to suffocate you spiritually in the end.

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. :) 2timothy 3;16

may

gnostic said:
Regardless, whether you believe in heaven, hell, the soul or not, then when you die, you're dead.

Sorry...for stating the obvious.

What I'm trying to say is that your physical body go through the same decay process, unless you get cremated. If you're decompose and the maggots have a field day with your liver, face, eyeballs... Munching away at believers and non-believers...

Why are you turning green in the face?

I don't know about your mother, but my always told me to wear clean pair of underwear, just in case you pee on them when your life flashes pass your eyes. :cover:

Oops! :eek: I miss that one. :shrug: Can we replay that one again? No?

Don't wear underwear with the flag of your country. I admired patriotism, but this would be going overboard, and let's not forget, tacky. Very tacky. And guys. Please don't wear Tweety the Bird imprint on your underwear. Or Winnie the Pooh.

I maybe alright to wear when you're 4 or 5, but seriously . Dignity. Remember D-I-G-N-I-T-Y. *sigh*

Ok, where was I?

Oh yes, maggots. One solution is to get embalmed, but I don't recommend that. People just don't look so good when being embalmed, and it is even worse if you get mummified.

Never leave your money to your nagging wife, or lazy loaf of a husband. If you have mon-sters- :foot: I means, you have kids, then I suggest that you disown them in your will. Deny they are yours...or whatever it take.

So the bottom line for everyone, believer or not, I highly recommends that you wear fresh clean pair of underwear.
LOL LOL LOL i like that ,i like your sense of humour and i agree we all go to dust just as the bible tells us.

may

comprehend said:
How about:

Isaiah 26:19
Thy dead [men] shall live, [together with] my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew [is as] the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

Daniel 12:2
2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame [and] everlasting contempt.

Matthew 19:16
16 ¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Matthew 25:46
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

John 3:15
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

see also:

John 5:25
John 6:68
John 10:28
John 17:3
Romans 2:7
1 Corinthians 15:22
1 Corinthians 15:54
these verses do not prove that we have an immortal soul ,most of these verses are speaking about the resurrection the bible doesnt teach that we have an immortal soul , the immortal soul teaching is a preconcieved idea.

may

DreGod07 said:
WAYYYYYYYY TOOO DEEEP...... None of you have died so you don't know. If you did die and was able to communicate to us then I might accept your answer as to what what might happen to one when they die..

For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, ecclesiastes 9;5

BruceDLimber

Hi!

Well, for starters, all Baha'is worldwide accept both Christ and the Bible, so our view is arguably relevant to your question "What happens when we die?"

And the Baha'i scriptures answer that question this way:

“Thou hast asked Me whether man, as apart from the Prophets of God and His chosen ones, will retain, after his physical death, the self-same individuality, personality, consciousness, and understanding that characterize his life in this world. If this should be the case, how is it, thou hast observed, that whereas such slight injuries to his mental faculties as fainting and severe illness deprive him of his understanding and consciousness, his death, which must involve the decomposition of his body and the dissolution of its elements, is powerless to destroy that understanding and extinguish that consciousness? How can any one imagine that man's consciousness and personality will be maintained, when the very instruments necessary to their existence and function will have completely disintegrated?

“Know thou that the soul of man is exalted above, and is independent of all infirmities of body or mind. That a sick person showeth signs of weakness is due to the hindrances that interpose themselves between his soul and his body, for the soul itself remaineth unaffected by any bodily ailments. Consider the light of the lamp. Though an external object may interfere with its radiance, the light itself continueth to shine with undiminished power. In like manner, every malady afflicting the body of man is an impediment that preventeth the soul from manifesting its inherent might and power. When it leaveth the body, however, it will evince such ascendancy, and reveal such influence as no force on earth can equal. Every pure, every refined and sanctified soul will be endowed with tremendous power, and shall rejoice with exceeding gladness.”

-- (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p-. 153-154)

“And now concerning thy question whether human souls continue to be conscious one of another after their separation from the body. Know thou that the souls of the people of Baha, who have entered and been established within the Crimson Ark, shall associate and commune intimately one with another, and shall be so closely associated in their lives, their aspirations, their aims and strivings as to be even as one soul. They are indeed the ones who are well-informed, who are keen-sighted, and who are endued with understanding. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

“The people of Baha, who are the inmates of the Ark of God, are, one and all, well aware of one another's state and condition, and are united in the bonds of intimacy and fellowship. Such a state, however, must depend upon their faith and their conduct. They that are of the same grade and station are fully aware of one another's capacity, character, accomplishments and merits. They that are of a lower grade, however, are incapable of comprehending adequately the station, or of estimating the merits, of those that rank above them. Each shall receive his share from thy Lord. Blessed is the man that hath turned his face towards God, and walked steadfastly in His love, until his soul hath winged its flight unto God, the Sovereign Lord of all, the Most Powerful, the Ever-Forgiving, the All-Merciful.

“The souls of the infidels, however, shall -- and to this I bear witness -- when breathing their last be made aware of the good things that have escaped them, and shall bemoan their plight, and shall humble themselves before God. They shall continue doing so after the separation of their souls from their bodies.

“It is clear and evident that all men shall, after their physical death, estimate the worth of their deeds, and realize all that their hands have wrought.”

-- (Baha'u'llah, Ibid., pp. 169-171)

“And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station. The honor with which the Hand of Mercy will invest the soul is such as no tongue can adequately reveal, nor any other earthly agency describe. Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, and entereth the all-highest Paradise. The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds. If any man be told that which hath been ordained for such a soul in the worlds of God, the Lord of the throne on high and of earth below, his whole being will instantly blaze out in his great longing to attain that most exalted, that sanctified and resplendent station.... The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High.”

-- (Baha'u'llah, Ibid., pp. 155-157)

Best, :)

Bruce

bobuk25 said:
Based on the Bible is there anyone who can show me that man has an immortal soul that goes to either Heaven or Hell when we die? Was Lazarus in Heaven before being resurrected? Did Moses & Abraham and other faithful men before who lived before Jesus Christ go to Heaven when they died?

Good questions! The whole idea of "souls" goes back perhaps as far as the development of language roughly 100,000 years ago. We do have a conscious self that is able to figure out that it is part of the body but at the same time it is in charge of the body. So, it has always seemed to human beings that the conciousness was a "being", that is, something you could not see but which existed anyway. People were logical and rational in those days as well considering what they knew.

So, if the individual had this "living entity" inside other things must have them too. So, they filled the world with spirits and used them to give a reason for everything other things did. It was a practical system and help them create rules which we now call "dogma." For example,"rocks liked to be thrown at animals but not straight up.!"

However, over the course of time, we have learned how to explain things through natural cause and effect and can make practical rules that make life better through better efficiency.

We don't need "souls" or "spirits" to explain anything anymore.

charles

may

charles brough said:
Good questions! The whole idea of "souls" goes back perhaps as far as the development of language roughly 100,000 years ago. We do have a conscious self that is able to figure out that it is part of the body but at the same time it is in charge of the body. So, it has always seemed to human beings that the conciousness was a "being", that is, something you could not see but which existed anyway. People were logical and rational in those days as well considering what they knew.

So, if the individual had this "living entity" inside other things must have them too. So, they filled the world with spirits and used them to give a reason for everything other things did. It was a practical system and help them create rules which we now call "dogma." For example,"rocks liked to be thrown at animals but not straight up.!"

However, over the course of time, we have learned how to explain things through natural cause and effect and can make practical rules that make life better through better efficiency.

We don't need "souls" or "spirits" to explain anything anymore.

charles
when Jehovah created man it says in the bible
Genesis 2:7 tells us: "Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul." The account does not say that God implanted in man an immortal soul. It says that when God’s power energized Adam’s body, he "came to be a living soul." So man is a soul. He does not have a soul.

Jane Doe

gnostic said:
I don't know about your mother, but my always told me to wear clean pair of underwear, just in case you pee on them when your life flashes pass your eyes. :cover:

So the bottom line for everyone, believer or not, I highly recommends that you wear fresh clean pair of underwear.

Doesn't really matter if they're clean or not. When you die, your body releases all waste products - so no matter what, by the time the paramedics/coroner/whoever gets there - you've already icked them up anyway.

Fresh clean underwear are a must - but strictly for hygenic reasons.

wmam

bobuk25 said:
Based on the Bible is there anyone who can show me that man has an immortal soul that goes to either Heaven or Hell when we die?

No.

Ecc 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

bobuk25 said:
Was Lazarus in Heaven before being resurrected?

No. Read previous answer.

bobuk25 said:
Did Moses & Abraham and other faithful men before who lived before Jesus Christ go to Heaven when they died?

No.

Deu 34:6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.

Gen 25:8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

My question to you is what is heaven and what is hell using the bible in the correct context.

Bick

The answer to this question is the Bible--using as literal a translation as possible.

There is much written in the OT.

The dead are said to 'sleep' or 'be asleep'. Not 'their soul', the person. 'Sleep' is used in a figurative sense. For instance:

David's prayer when he felt forgotten by the Lord, Psa. 13:3 "Look on me and answer, O Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will SLEEP THE SLEEP OF DEATH." NIV.

Daniel foretelling of a future resurrection, Dan. 12:2 "Multitudes who SLEEP in the dust will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

And in the NT.

Jesus speaking of his friend Lazarus, John 11:11-14 "Our friend Lazarus has FALLEN ASLEEP; but I am going there to wake him. His disciples replied, 'Lord, if he SLEEPS, he will get better.' Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep. So then he told them plainly, 'Lazarus is DEAD'.."

It can't get much plainer than that, can it?

Paul also speaks of the sleep of death: 1 Cor. 15:20 "But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have FALLEN ASLEEP."
1 Cor. 15:51 "Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all SLEEP, but we shall all be changed...." And there are others.

NEXT: In death, the grave, there is no knowledge, no remembrance, no praise. Why?
Because 'death' is the opposite of 'life'. Is this a problem for God, to raise anyone exactly as He wants them? Of course not, for He knows every detail of everyone.

And interesting account is in Luke 20:37, when answering the Saducees (who believe there is no resurrection), Jesus says, "Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord 'The God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living, for all live unto Him." AV. God sees the future and to Him all will live.

David writes: Psa. 6:5 "For in death there is no remembrance of thee; in the grave who shall give thee thanks?" AV.
Psa. 30:9 "What profit [is there] in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? Shall it declare thy truth?"
Psa. 88:10-12 "Will Thou show wonders to the dead? Shall the dead arise and praise thee? ...Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? And thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?" Also see Psa.115:17; Eccl. 8:5; Isa. 38:18.

So, IMO, the cure for DEATH is RESURRECTION !

All for now, Bick

gnostic

The Lost One
jane doe said:
Doesn't really matter if they're clean or not. When you die, your body releases all waste products - so no matter what, by the time the paramedics/coroner/whoever gets there - you've already icked them up anyway.

Fresh clean underwear are a must - but strictly for hygenic reasons.
Ok, you may not get the most dignity, but it is at least more dignified than wearing adult size disposable diapers.

Ernestine

When you die, you die. The end, finito, finished. The soul does not survive the body--the soul itself dies. See Ecclesiastes 9:5--it says that the living are conscious that they will die but as for the dead they are conscious of nothing at all. The only hope of living again is through resurrection if God so wills it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ernestine said:
When you die, you die. The end, finito, finished. The soul does not survive the body--the soul itself dies. See Ecclesiastes 9:5--it says that the living are conscious that they will die but as for the dead they are conscious of nothing at all. The only hope of living again is through resurrection if God so wills it.
In 1 Peter (if my memory serves me), Christ was said to have visited the spirits in prison. These spirits were the spirits of those who had died prior to His ministry. Were they conscious of His visit, in your opinion?

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Ernestine said:

I must disagree with you.

The soul itself does not die. The body dies, taking the mind with it when it goes, because both belong to the physical world. The mind is what has awareness here. This world belongs to the mind. This world is the mind.

The soul never sleeps. It is forever awake just as God is forever awake. It does not rest, nor does it labor. It merely is.

It does not corrupt.

The mind is a different story.

It is the "soul" of the bible lore. It is also Satan. It is also Eve. It is the mark of the beast. It is the beast.

All the dark things of human nature are born out of this womb.

x

logician

All life dies, there is no proof whatsoever of a soul or spirit separate from the body, death comes to everything, even our universe eventually.