• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Everyone Is "Right"?

Rolling_Stone

doppelgänger;927853 said:
Oh . . . okay . . . :D
Maybe I should clarify. If everyone is right, no one is wrong.

The line, "Saying everyone is special is just another way of saying no one is" is from the movie The Incredibles. In it, the bad guy plots to make make everyone "special" so no one would be special...except him, of course. He would reserve the best weapons for himself. With no reference to an Absolute there only reference to the self, the privatization of the good.

Don't get me wrong. Ultimate reality is indeed one, but reality's ultimate oneness does not negate the reality of the many. The problem isn't dualism per se, but the human propensity to ignore the primacy of the One.

One extreme is the idea of an objective world, pursuing its regular course in space and time, independently of any kind of observing subject; this has been the guiding image from modern science. At the other extreme is the idea of a subject, mystically experiencing the unity of the world and no longer confronted by an object or by any objective world; this has been the guiding image of Asian mysticism. Our thinking moves somewhere in the middle, between these two limiting conceptions; we should maintain the tension resulting from these opposites.
Werner Heisenberg
Across the Frontier
Esse est percipii. “To be is to be perceived.” Human self-consciousness is community-consciousness: the One observing the part observing the many and the One.The One and the many are mutually exclusive and yet are of the same substance. To the One, the many is the space-time image-shadow of itself; to the many, the One is the transcendent God, wholly other andwholly immanent. Radical idealism imparts much truth to this end, but its failure to reconcile everyday experience and the undifferentiated One leads to the very egoism it aims to undo. More often than not, it ends up being technique of reality-avoidance for the ego. It’s a feel-good approach encourages people to believe they are more than what they are now, that they can be a fully formed, cognizant spirit-being without going through a long growing process.
Live loyally today--grow--and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole. (The URANTIA Book, P.1094)

Pariah

Let go
What if the Truth is that there isn't a Truth? Or that there isn't a right and wrong, and that all such dichotomies are the result of a "feeble human intellect, trying desperately to to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose"?

If everything is simply as it is, and such dichotomies are simply mental constructs created by the human mind, then the words right and wrong no longer apply.

No one is right, no one is wrong; not everyone is right, not everyone is wrong, and not everyone is both right and wrong at the same time.

Everyone just is.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What if the Truth is that there isn't a Truth? Or that there isn't a right and wrong, and that all such dichotomies are the result of a "feeble human intellect, trying desperately to to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose"?

If everything is simply as it is, and such dichotomies are simply mental constructs created by the human mind, then the words right and wrong no longer apply.

No one is right, no one is wrong; not everyone is right, not everyone is wrong, and not everyone is both right and wrong at the same time.

Everyone just is.

That sounds about right. ;)

But yeah, I agree. These dichotomies are mental constructs. They remain meaningful, though, because we apply meaning to them.

Rolling_Stone

Everyone just is.
Is this my birthday gift? :biglaugh:Thank you. I always enjoy a laugh.

"All Cretans are liars," said the Cretan. You are saying, "All truths are lies."

"If everything is simply as it is, and such dichotomies are simply mental constructs created by the human mind," then that is "truth" and you have no choice but to deal with it.

jonny

Mormonism has the best prize and the least risk (in my opinion, of course). If everyone's right, you might as well try it out. ;)

Pariah

Let go
"All Cretans are liars",said the Cretan. You are saying, "All truths are lies"

I said, "All truths are lies"?
I opened up the possibility that all the adjectives we use to describe the world are superfluous and useless.

If everything is simply as it is, and such dichotomies are simply mental constructs created by the human mind," then that is "truth" and you have no choice but to deal with it.

What's wrong with "just dealing with it"?