• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Everyone Is "Right"?

UnTheist

No, you are a person who believes in justice (as you confirmed this in an earlier post) who posts in a religious forum.
Where did I say this?

You said people had an innate desire for Justice. If this was true, people would still have their own opinions on what Justice is. I was talking about a type of Justice that is provable

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Where did I say this?

You said people had an innate desire for Justice. If this was true, people would still have their own opinions on what Justice is. I was talking about a type of Justice that is provable

Justice: The administering of deserved punishment or reward.

other than that, in the dictionary it defines it as "Just"

Just -
–adjective
1.guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.
2.done or made according to principle; equitable; proper: a just reply.
3.based on right; rightful; lawful: a just claim.
4.in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct: a just analysis.
5.given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, or reward: a just penalty.
6.in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right: just proportions.
7.(esp. in Biblical use) righteous.
8.actual, real, or genuine.

"Justice" and what is "Just" can onyl be described by ones own perception of what is right and what is wrong.

Jeremiah

I would imagine our innate need for justice at the very least shows something must be wrong.

Justice as in vengeance? Or moral justice?

One could say the anger that fuels vengeance is innate.

But as to what is moral; is it taught or innate?

Perhaps things are only wrong because we see them as wrong.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
no, because things need to have a polar opposite to exist, this is also in science, not just theology. Day/Night, hot/cold, north/south (magnetism), look at anything, everything is designed to have a polar opposite.
Sounds like a major oversimplification to me. Is 40 degrees hot or cold? Is 170 lbs. heavy or light? There are far more instances where there is neither black nor white, rather various shades of gray. This is also true in theology, whether you like it or not.

athanasius

I am still sticking to my original post which I believe would hold up very well in court. I will post it again since many understood what I was saying.

"This forum proves the Subject to be false. Because if everyone is right, and I say that is not correct, then by your own admission I would also be right. But you cannot have everyone be right and not everyone be right. So one of us must be wrong. Case closed. It' not logical to say everything is right, and this forum proves it quite practically."

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Sounds like a major oversimplification to me. Is 40 degrees hot or cold? Is 170 lbs. heavy or light? There are far more instances where there is neither black nor white, rather various shades of gray. This is also true in theology, whether you like it or not.

I have to disagree "God cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance"
(or somethign to that effect.)

Rolling_Stone

Or "Are the beliefs of a KKK member as legitimate as Muhammad's?"

Or "Are mine as legitimate as yours?" :)
Quite right! From a dualistic point of view, beliefs can never be more than relative to the actual, but if there is no actual, no "absolute," all beliefs are equally legitimate.

"Saying everyone is special is just another way of saying no one is." (Dash)

Ozzie

doppelgänger;925636 said:
Seemed like the next logical step. What is the criteria for a faith claim or ontological assertion being deemed "right"?
Completely personal criteria.
Right and wrong appear in sharing faith claims or ontological assertions.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
You might as well ask, "What if the beliefs of a suicide bomber was as legitimate as Christ's?"

To whom? To the suicide bomber? I'll bet he would think they are. And since he's the one with the detonator, his opinion is the one that's going to matter the most.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What if Heaven is not the only destination after life? The Bible says, have no other God's before me. If no other God's exisited, there would not be a need for this statement in the Bible.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
no, because things need to have a polar opposite to exist, this is also in science, not just theology. Day/Night, hot/cold, north/south (magnetism), look at anything, everything is designed to have a polar opposite.

Truth/Lies. half truths are still lies because theya re not the whole truth.
So, somewhere out in the world there should be an Anti-madhatter85? If something were to happen to your alter ego would you also cease to exist? Is there an Anti-Mona Lisa to counter Leonardo Davinci's painting? All adjectives are a creation of the human imagination. Perhaps its just a flaw in our language that makes some believe that everything has an opposite.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
So, somewhere out in the world there should be an Anti-madhatter85? If something were to happen to your alter ego would you also cease to exist? Is there an Anti-Mona Lisa to counter Leonardo Davinci's painting? All adjectives are a creation of the human imagination. Perhaps its just a flaw in our language that makes some believe that everything has an opposite.

But there surely is a "not-Madhatter85," that is, everything but what "Madhatter85" is defined to be.

When I define myself, there is my "Self" and everything else, which is "not-Self." Something "opposite"--as in "opposing" or in "opposition to"--is one of those quirky little linguistic tricks that trip us up from time to time.

A college philosophy professor asked my class once, "What is the opposite of chocolate." We immediately answered "Vanilla!" So the inevitable question: How is vanilla opposing chocolate?

How is everything "not-Madhatter85" opposing "Madhatter85"? How is "truth" opposing "false"?

Rolling_Stone

doppelgänger;927178 said:
To whom? To the suicide bomber? I'll bet he would think they are. And since he's the one with the detonator, his opinion is the one that's going to matter the most.
That's the point.