• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Everyone Is "Right"?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I don't understand why something has to have an opposite in order to exist. Can there simply be varying degrees of being right? Can someone be more right than another without either of them being wrong?

no, because things need to have a polar opposite to exist, this is also in science, not just theology. Day/Night, hot/cold, north/south (magnetism), look at anything, everything is designed to have a polar opposite.

Truth/Lies. half truths are still lies because theya re not the whole truth.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I don't understand why something has to have an opposite in order to exist. Can there simply be varying degrees of being right? Can someone be more right than another without either of them being wrong?

When something is defined as beautiful, something else must necessarily be ugly.

cardero

Citizen Mod
What If Everyone Is "Right"?

Here I say to YOU that no human-made religion is perfect. No human-made religion is wrong. No human-made religion can individually cater to soul growth and UNDERSTANDING. No human-made religion is “the TRUE religion.” Each organization has a little bit of TRUTH here, a little bit of good there. But none are complete. It is up to each INDIVIDUAL to make what he or she can of life in accordance with the chosen religion (whether it may BE an organized religion or a religion within yourself). The REALationship YOU and I have, plus YOUR spiritual growth, is a PERSONAL experience shared between YOU and I, and YOU and I only. It is a special and unique REALationship. BE aware that I, GOD, helped in the creation of Homo-sapiens, not Robo-sapiens.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Religion
Pg: 43

madhatter85

Transhumanist
And half truths are still true because they're not all lies.

but lies are still lies. and truths are still truths, there is no grey. a statement with many lies and many truths can me bade and the statement woul dbe considered a "half-truth" but when it comes down to it, all the lies are lies, and all the truths are truths.

Hope

Princesinha
doppelgänger;926017 said:
What's wrong with the world not being logical? Can't my perception of the world be paradoxical?

I'll remember you said that next time I'm in a debate about the supposedly "illogical" claims of Christianity. ;)

athanasius

This forum proves the Subject to be false. Because if everyone is right, and I say that is not correct, then by your own admission I would also be right. But you cannot have everyone be right and not everyone be right. So one of us must be wrong. Case closed. It' not logical to say everything is right, and this forum proves it quite practically.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Case closed. It' not logical to say everything is right, and this forum proves it quite practically.
Case far from closed. I still haven't heard the criteria by which "right"-ness is judged.

If "right" is contextual and perspectival, then everyone can be right. Indeed, everyone is right if the criteria is the perspectival judgment of "right"-ness.

Hope

Princesinha
This forum proves the Subject to be false. Because if everyone is right, and I say that is not correct, then by your own admission I would also be right. But you cannot have everyone be right and not everyone be right. So one of us must be wrong. Case closed. It' not logical to say everything is right, and this forum proves it quite practically.

Yay, athanasius! :clap :D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I would imagine our innate need for justice at the very least shows something must be wrong.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't understand why something has to have an opposite in order to exist.
I don't think it needs an "opposite," per se, but it does need a contrast. Everything exists as what it is, but also as what it is not --it is not everything else. That is to say everything exists in contrast to the things surrounding it, from which it is distinguished (by us) as "what it is." Including "rightness."

Can there simply be varying degrees of being right? Can someone be more right than another without either of them being wrong?
Yes. Potentially infinite degrees.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
doppelgänger;926317 said:
Case far from closed. I still haven't heard the criteria by which "right"-ness is judged.

If "right" is contextual and perspectival, then everyone can be right. Indeed, everyone is right if the criteria is the perspectival judgment of "right"-ness.

Problem is that the point of refrence must be correct to be able to draw an assumption as to the opposing side.

not everyone can be right because the actual perspective of what is right and what is wrong is based on multiple interpitations of what is right and wrong, hence why everyone "thinks" they are "right". and everythign "else" is "wrong" because of thier own interpitations.

it is not the definine fact of what is right or wrong that is misrepresented, it is the interpitations of such things.

the fact remains that only one interpication of what is "right" and what is "wrong" can be correct.

UnTheist

doppelgänger;926340 said:
And what is "justice," Thrasymicus? I have a feeling "justice" doesn't solve the problem of how we determine "what is right?" without leading us in a circle.
Who?

I don't know what justice is either. But since Victor obviously knows...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
doppelgänger;926334 said:
Exactly. What is the criteria for determining "What is right"? I've been trying to get this question answered for a while now with no results.
Something is right when it a) agrees with me, b) complements me, or c) gives me presents.