• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What IF McCain Wins? What Will You Do?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
***MOD POST***

Let's tone it down in here and get this thread back on topic.

Thanks guys and gals.

tomspug

Absorbant
I think I'm seeing a pattern here: the liberal posters seem to imagine a McCain presidency as absolutely unlivable, while conservative posters seem to imagine an Obama presidency as OK.

Which side is fear-mongering again?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I think I'm seeing a pattern here: the liberal posters seem to imagine a McCain presidency as absolutely unlivable, while conservative posters seem to imagine an Obama presidency as OK.

Which side is fear-mongering again?

I'm not following you here, Tom.

How is it "fear mongering" for someone to say that they would move out of the country if McCain wins?

tomspug

Absorbant
Well, it's not the equivalent of saying that 9-11 will happen again if Bush isn't re-elected. But think about it: how effective has Obama's bipartisanship been when his most fervent supporters couldn't stand the possibility of the other side winning?

The reality is that, as always, there won't be a significant difference between what either candidate DOES when they become elected. What will be different is HOW they are perceived when they do it and HOW people will feel about it.

No candidate that has promised change has ever delivered. What makes you think Obama will be any different, besides an incredible advertising campaign?

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Well, it's not the equivalent of saying that 9-11 will happen again if Bush isn't re-elected. But think about it: how effective has Obama's bipartisanship been when his most fervent supporters couldn't stand the possibility of the other side winning?

The reality is that, as always, there won't be a significant difference between what either candidate DOES when they become elected. What will be different is HOW they are perceived when they do it and HOW people will feel about it.

No candidate that has promised change has ever delivered. What makes you think Obama will be any different, besides an incredible advertising campaign?

Ok so the economic boom and surplus we had during the Clinton administration was just a fairy tale then? We've really had this collective dept since Regan was president all along?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology

I'm not picking on you, Tom. Just pointing out a couple of things.

EVERY election, someone makes the claim that if "so and so" wins, I'm leaving the country. It is hyperbole, and it is a hollow threat. Even if it did happen, the impact of such a move would be completely insignificant. It is simply a way for a person to voice their displeasure with a given candidate.

There was a significant difference when Reagan took over after Carter, and an even greater difference when Bush II took over after Clinton. Massive differences in terms of the economy, the budget, foreign policy, the environment, and a host of other issues. That goes for both of the regime changes that I spoke of.

So, yes, in my opinion, there can be a huge difference in the direction that our country takes. We will have to wait until late this evening to see, but I believe there will be significant change.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Ok so the economic boom and surplus we had during the Clinton administration was just a fairy tale then? We've really had this collective dept since Regan was president all along?
We had a boom, and a surplus. The surplus means that for that year, we took in more than we spent. That doesn't mean that we had paid off all of our debt; just that we didn't add any new debt that year, and possibly paid off some small amount of our existing debt.

gnomon

You all know that Dewey defeated Truman right:yes:

I would be disappointed.

I would also remember that the majority of the government is not run out of the executive branch.

This nation survived Woodrow Wilson. We'll survive a McCain or even a Palin presidency. Well, I don't know about a Palin presidency. So if McCain wins give that man the best health care conceivable. Another disastrous Republican POTUS might turn the intellectual and moderate conservatives to the Libertarians and leave the fundamentalists in the dust. Now wouldn't that be worth something.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Keep in mind Truman v. Dewey was just ridiculous polling. Most organizations stopped taking polls after the summer conventions.