• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What IF McCain Wins? What Will You Do?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes, I feel that McCain is a better representative of Christian values

There is more to Christianity than merely opposing women's and gay rights, like Jesus' teachings. You know, the guy your religion is based off of. He valued peace, compassion for the poor, etc.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
There is more to Christianity than mere opposing women's and gay rights, like Jesus' teachings. You know, the guy your religion is based off of. He valued peace, compassion for the poor, etc.

FH, I like to give to the poor of my own decision. To much that is given, much is expected. When I start telling you how to spend your money, that is where I step over the line.

I just happen to believe the private sector can do a better job of feeding the poor than the government. It is not the responsibility of government to take from some and give to others.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
There is more to Christianity than merely opposing women's and gay rights, like Jesus' teachings. You know, the guy your religion is based off of. He valued peace, compassion for the poor, etc.

Above my sexuality, my wants, my desires, I submit to something greater than myself. It doesn't mean that I don't want happiness for people and that I don't love others. I don't live my life under the belief system that life is about you, me, everyone...the collective "us".

I don't expect you to understand that. I struggle everyday. It's rarely easy to let go of what I want and how I think the world should work.

But I don't leave my beliefs at the door when I leave home to go to work in the morning. And I believe wholeheartedly, that when I love others, I'm fulfilling Christ's law, to the fullest. This is what I live by.

I can reconcile being Christian and voting conservatively.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
FH, I like to give to the poor of my own decision. To much that is given, much is expected. When I start telling you how to spend your money, that is where I step over the line.

I just happen to believe the private sector can do a better job of feeding the poor than the government. It is not the responsibility of government to take from some and give to others.

Okay, but what about all the peace, forgiveness, turn the other cheek, love they neighbor, judge not, etc. stuff Jesus preached? I don't agree with all of that, but I'm not a Christian either. Doesn't the Iraq war fly in the face of what Jesus taught?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Right, private sector has shown that they do such a great job of caring for those in need. :rolleyes:

It is exactly the responsibility of govt to take from ALL, each according to what they can give, and to distribute to ALL, each according to their needs. Ya know, "country first"?! What galled me about the GOP claiming that slogan is that their actual platform is "Me first."

Govt is not the enemy. Govt is of the people, by the people, for the people. Some Republican said that.... who was it? hmmm.....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Above my sexuality, my wants, my desires, I submit to something greater than myself. It doesn't mean that I don't want happiness for people and that I don't love others. I don't live my life under the belief system that life is about you, me, everyone...the collective "us".

I don't expect you to understand that. I struggle everyday. It's rarely easy to let go of what I want and how I think the world should work.

But I don't leave my beliefs at the door when I leave home to go to work in the morning. And I believe wholeheartedly, that when I love others, I'm fulfilling Christ's law, to the fullest. This is what I live by.

I can reconcile being Christian and voting conservatively.

So do you see your bisexuality as something to be repressed for your faith's sake, or do you assume god allows you that exception?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Okay, but what about all the peace, forgiveness, turn the other cheek, love they neighbor, judge not, etc. stuff Jesus preached? I don't agree with all of that, but I'm not a Christian either. Doesn't the Iraq war fly in the face of what Jesus taught?

I'm all about reserving judgement, turning the other cheek and loving my neighbor. Peace on earth and good will to man is high on the list as well.

I know what you mean about Iraq FH. I square it by understanding the difference between killing and murder.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
So do you see your bisexuality as something to be repressed for your faith's sake, or do you assume god allows you that exception?

Edited to a shorter answer:

I do not repress the fact that I am bi-sexual but I do not act upon certain desires because I cannot spiritually/biblically justify certain actions.

Last edited:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I know what you mean about Iraq FH. I square it by understanding the difference between killing and murder.
Yes, there is a difference between killing and murder.

Killing is what our soldiers are doing to Iraqis because they have to. Murder is what Bush and his cabinet committed by sending our soldiers over there to either kill or be killed.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Edited to a shorter answer:

I do not repress the fact that I am bi-sexual but I do not act upon certain desires because I cannot spiritually/biblically justify certain actions.

You can appreciate though, that justifying meddling in government to impose those values on others who don't share your subjective beliefs opens your faith claims up to critique and potentially even ridicule as a reasonably foreseeable result?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology

What makes you think that the private sector can do a better job of feeding the poor, when there are people going hungry now. The government is doing the heavy lifting, and even with that effort, the private sector isn't getting the job done.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What makes you think that the private sector can do a better job of feeding the poor, when there are people going hungry now. The government is doing the heavy lifting, and even with that effort, the private sector isn't getting the job done.
The private sector must be crippled by the government stealing all that hard-earned money from the likes of Paris Hilton. :sarcastic

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
doppelgänger;1320292 said:
You can appreciate though, that justifying meddling in government to impose those values on others who don't share your subjective beliefs opens your faith claims up to critique and potentially even ridicule as a reasonably foreseeable result?

I understand why people of my faith are ridiculed. I also see a double standard, here.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
doppelgänger;1320842 said:
Tell me what you think is the double standard.
I don't know about a double standard per se, but in all honesty, I do not understand why several people here have jumped on Dawny for her post, which simply stated her position, which she has a right to, and was very polite and non-offensive.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I don't know about a double standard per se, but in all honesty, I do not understand why several people here have jumped on Dawny for her post, which simply stated her position, which she has a right to, and was very polite and non-offensive.
I was thinking the same thing. She posted a fairly mild and respective post, and then gets attacked for it?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

She wants politicians to represent her religious beliefs and values in office. I think her beliefs and values and what she wants elected leaders to do about them becomes entirely fair game when she makes her decisions on that basis.