• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What IF McCain Wins? What Will You Do?

tomspug

Absorbant
If by
"balance of power" you having the legislative and executive branches being controlled by different parties, all that has accomplished is... NOTHING.

No one has been able to get anything done, and then people complain that govt doesn't do anything. :rolleyes:
Nothing? Nothing? Maybe you would think that if you are only focused on the... two or three issues that the news focuses on. The truth is that legislation is happening constantly.

The television god may have convinced us that the only thing that happens in the world is the Iraq War and the Iraq War budget, but if you pay attention, you'll notice that President Bush spends most of his time doing other things, talking to world leaders, and molding an agenda for EVERY aspect of our country. Congress, meanwhile, is passing laws every year. Courts are exploring those laws every day. Incumbents and new faces are arguing over issues, large and small, in every election.

The world does not hinge on any one thing. And the attention of the media is NEVER a reliable compass for any of the things that it does hinge on.

tomspug

Absorbant
Are you going to vote? Who are you going to vote for? Indulge me... I already voted... so you cant influence me either way...
At this point, I'm voting for Obama, but I'm planning on watching the third-party debates this weekend. I have no further interest in McCain. I won't mind if he wins, but my mind is mostly made up.

Sententia

At this point, I'm voting for Obama, but I'm planning on watching the third-party debates this weekend. I have no further interest in McCain. I won't mind if he wins, but my mind is mostly made up.

My preference is you are aware and intelligent and voting based on that... my expectiation is only that you vote...

Which I hope you do. That is all.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
If he wins, I'll meet you in France. They have good wine. We'll be alright.

Hell yea! We can get all drunk and eat a bunch of cheese and wear berets and try to speak French...let's do this on a patio somewhere away from French people, though, so they don't hate us. :D

tomspug

Absorbant
Hell yea! We can get all drunk and eat a bunch of cheese and wear berets and try to speak French...let's do this on a patio somewhere away from French people, though, so they don't hate us. :D
The mere thought of France's selection of cheese, wine, and bread in my mouth... I'm already on the boat!

Can we still go, even if Obama wins?

Sententia

The mere thought of France's selection of cheese, wine, and bread in my mouth... I'm already on the boat!

Seriously... I am totally for a RF meeting in france if obama wins... time place and date... (I do NOT have a passport so I will need to secure one)

Even if McCain wins though... Im american... I am all for a vacation but I will not leave lady liberty...

:)

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int

Yea but if he wins it'd only have to be a vacation then. :D

Ooh, here's me trying to sound all sophisticated...Let's summer in France! (Do sophisticated people say that? I'm sure they do...)

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Seriously... I am totally for a RF meeting in france if obama wins... time place and date... (I do NOT have a passport so I will need to secure one)

Even if McCain wins though... Im american... I am all for a vacation but I will not leave lady liberty...

:)

I know...I don't know if or how I could function outside of the U.S. But...I dunno...I'm sure I could do without it for 4 or 8 years.

Sorry, America...it's really not you...it's me. Well, actually it is you. We need some space...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Nothing? Nothing? Maybe you would think that if you are only focused on the... two or three issues that the news focuses on. The truth is that legislation is happening constantly.

The television god may have convinced us that the only thing that happens in the world is the Iraq War and the Iraq War budget, but if you pay attention, you'll notice that President Bush spends most of his time doing other things, talking to world leaders, and molding an agenda for EVERY aspect of our country. Congress, meanwhile, is passing laws every year. Courts are exploring those laws every day. Incumbents and new faces are arguing over issues, large and small, in every election.

The world does not hinge on any one thing. And the attention of the media is NEVER a reliable compass for any of the things that it does hinge on.
Um, no, I'm focused on several issues. I live in DC, have friends who work as staffers in Congress, and friends who work to lobby those staffers. I do NOT just rely on the media to know what's happening on the Hill. (Who do YOU rely on, btw?) And I can say that this Congress has gotten less done than other Congresses in the past. The people are right to be frustrated.

BUT it's NOT for lack of trying on Congress' part. It's because of this "balance of power" that you are praising.

For example, Bush vetoing two different legislative attempts to expand health insurance coverage to more children.

Other things that did not move:
• funding for stem cell research
• reducing greenhouse gas emissions
• voting rights for the District of Columbia
• hate crimes bill
• tobacco regulation
• trade agreements with Columbia, Peru and South Korea

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We have not been attacked for over 7 years now. How long do you consider long term? Say what you like about GWB, but not protecting us would be incorrect. I would say that is what he has done best. Can you name anything he has done better?

I have this magic ring that prevents the moon from crashing into the earth. Thank god it works, eh?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I have this magic ring that prevents the moon from crashing into the earth. Thank god it works, eh?

Geeze good thing you have that ring. So, what has he done better FH? I guess you believe we have not been attacked again by accident right? It's a fluke? Would have happened anyway?

I just know you are going to produce some facts instead of just being a smart azz. right?

UnityNow101

We have not been attacked for over 7 years now. How long do you consider long term? Say what you like about GWB, but not protecting us would be incorrect. I would say that is what he has done best. Can you name anything he has done better?

Perhaps all of that rhetoric about those blood thirsty terrorists hiding behind every corner ready to prounce and kill every single American was a fear tactic used by the Bush Administration to justify all of their nonsense? It is not like we hear of terrorist plots being thwarted every single day...

Oh, I know why that is. It is because George Bush has taken the fight to them over there so that they haven't had the chance to hit us again over here, correct?:rolleyes:

{you have bought into their agenda of fear!}

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Geeze good thing you have that ring. So, what has he done better FH? I guess you believe we have not been attacked again by accident right? It's a fluke? Would have happened anyway?

I just know you are going to produce some facts instead of just being a smart azz. right?

I would've been more impressed if 9/11 was prevented in the first place, and I kinda doubt that an unjustified war, which has increased anti-american sentiment and terrorist recruitment, helped made us safer.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Perhaps all of that rhetoric about those blood thirsty terrorists hiding behind every corner ready to prounce and kill every single American was a fear tactic used by the Bush Administration to justify all of their nonsense? It is not like we hear of terrorist plots being thwarted every single day...

Oh, I know why that is. It is because George Bush has taken the fight to them over there so that they haven't had the chance to hit us again over here, correct?:rolleyes:

{you have bought into their agenda of fear!}

Fact Sheet: The Terrorist Threat to the U.S. Homeland

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Bah!! I hate when people try to be all smug and say "Well, we haven't been attacked since 9/11 now HAVE WE? :areyoucra" Ummmmm...that has nothing to do with George W. in my opinion....I dunno. I don't know politics like you guys but I just don't buy the correlation trying to be made there...AT ALL.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
It's really quite simple, Stacey.

If you are a Bush apologist, you simply make the fallacious jump to causality - knowing that it is unwarranted, but dismissing reality as an inconvenience.

Ahh, I see. Reality as an inconvenience? So are these people just stupid or evil? Both, I suppose. I don't know why anyone would want to live like that! :banghead3

Alceste

Vagabond
I would've been more impressed if 9/11 was prevented in the first place, and I kinda doubt that an unjustified war, which has increased anti-american sentiment and terrorist recruitment, helped made us safer.

That's a good point. 9-11 happened on Bush's watch. Plus I doubt the mothers of all the kids getting blown up and beheaded in Iraq and Afghanistan feel like Americans are "safer" than before.