• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if these Christian beliefs are not true?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The following list contains some beliefs that are central to Christianity.

1) Jesus is God
2) Jesus is the only way to God
3) Jesus rose from the dead
4) Jesus is going to return to earth

But what if these beliefs are not true?

Of course this is hypothetical since these are beliefs that cannot be proven either true or false.

However, this post is based on the assumption that the above list of beliefs are false.
If that is the case, I have two questions:

- Could Christianity still be a true religion from God?
- How would that change Christianity now and in the future?

I am particularly interested in 4), the belief that Jesus is going to return to earth. Many Christians will continue to wait for Jesus to return as long as they 'believe' that Jesus will return someday, but what if all Christians realized that Jesus is never going to return to earth?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The religion of God is consistent in all times. Paul showed how consistent it was and showed the Torah and Gospels with commentary of the Welayat of God and the holy spirit from Adam till the present moment.

His viewpoint on Lot being righteous and other things are not consistent with the Torah. Yet it's consistent with the Quran.

Can anyone show me Trinity in a clear way in either Gospels or Paul words? The closest thing is "the word was God" expression.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

1) Jesus is God

Of course this is hypothetical since these are beliefs that cannot be proven either true or false.

However, this post is based on the assumption that the above list of beliefs are false.

I am particularly interested in 4), the belief that Jesus is going to return to earth. Many Christians will continue to wait for Jesus to return as long as they 'believe' that Jesus will return someday, but what if all Christians realized that Jesus is never going to return to earth?
What you describe here is more inline with The Way, IMO, and therefore the closest thing to the original form of Christianity. But, you are correct in that it is not what Christianity became and what is held onto by mainstreamers. It became a heretical belief by the time Jerusalem fell.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One of the things that Paul emphasized on was the position of the Imamate and Welayat of the exalted ones, before Ibrahim (a). He talked about the Imam of the time who met Ibrahim and handed down authority to him.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And Isa (a) was "killed" in appearance not actuality. It was a feign death, a normal human would've died, yes. And the reason he feigned it so it can be a sign and proof so that people believe more so and have greater faith.

You have to know an Imam doesn't die unless he wishes to but they submit to God and God doesn't tell them to die either, so it's more they are doing what they think is best for God and his will.

As Isa (a), it looked like he was dead, but he was not. Since he is the king from offspring of David (a) promised to rule, he could not die. To say he died would be denial that he is the promised Messiah.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And Isa (a) was "killed" in appearance not actuality. It was a feign death, a normal human would've died, yes.
Jesus was human. Any human would have died physically from being on the cross as Jesus was.
As Isa (a), it looked like he was dead, but he was not.
No, His spirit was not dead so HE was not dead. Only His body was dead. His spirit ascended to heaven.
Since he is the king from offspring of David (a) promised to rule, he could not die. To say he died would be denial that he is the promised Messiah.
Jesus was never a king who promised to rule, nor was He the promised Messiah.

Jesus never claimed to be a king, and Jesus never said He was coming back to judge the earth and establish an earthly Kingdom

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

rocala

the belief that Jesus is going to return to earth. Many Christians will continue to wait for Jesus to return as long as they 'believe' that Jesus will return someday,
Yes, IMO there will always be lots of them. The problem seems to be that their "belief" is not the result of thought, but rather a quick fix for instant reassurance and sometimes an emotional high.

Back in the 1960's and 70's, I remember people talking about incredibly advanced alien civilizations. These beings were going to come and save us from our mistakes and evil ways. It is the same thing really, paradise on earth, but with God/aliens doing all the work.

This is certainly not true of all Christians, but I have met many who fall into this category.

1) Jesus is God

1) According to the Bible, Jesus is not the God. - > No problem for Christianity, if it is Biblical.
2) Would make Jesus not truthful. -> Credibility lost.
3,4) Would make Bible not true. -> Credibility lost.

I Am Hugh

Researcher

1) Jesus is God

True is an ambiguous term. It really doesn't mean much. It doesn't really mean what you think it does.

1 isn't accurate according to the Bible.
2 is ambiguous as well. Jesus is mediator to man, since before Adam sinned.
3 is accurate according to the Bible.
4 isn't accurate according to the Bible.

The ambiguity of the term true as you are using it is demonstrable in that, for starters those beliefs may all be true according to Christianity, but not according to the Bible.

They are falsifiable according to either Christianity, or the Bible. What else matters?

The answer to the first is yes, with precedence being the broken covenant as recorded in the Hebrew scripture and the answer to the second it wouldn't likely change Christianity at all, especially with 4 because 4 isn't true. You don't have to speculate.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

1) Jesus is God

For me, personally, doesn't change a thing.

Of course, it is my opinion you give them to much credit implying they are true in the first place.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus was human. Any human would have died physically from being on the cross as Jesus was.
Any human would die from fire engulfed, but Ibrahim (a) was saved from that. It's not far fetch to see God did similar for Jesus (a).

No, His spirit was not dead so HE was not dead. Only His body was dead. His spirit ascended to heaven.
The verses in Quran say he won't die till all people of the book believe in him. We saw @InvestigateTruth try to make this about Baha'allah coming as in Jesus (a) coming back and that at the end of his qiyama (when next Prophet comes), all people of the book will believe in him. Of course, it's none sense, the topic is about the attempt to crucify him and attempts to kill him and says in that context none of the people of the book will remain but will believe in him before his death.

To be consistent with Qiyama of Isa (a), it would mean by Mohammad (s), since the day of judgment of Isa (a) is still Mohammad (s). But of course, consistency is not important for Bahais. Just caprice shooting at meaning of verses to justify the none sense their Prophet said.

Jesus was never a king who promised to rule, nor was He the promised Messiah.
Then why does Quran single him out as the Messiah? It confirms he is the Messiah, doesn't call anyone else that in the Quran.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

First, I would like to say that I think your OP is well written and insightful. Second, I'd like to respond to your statement from my personal perspective as a former Christian and spirit medium. As a former Christian, I no longer believe the biblical narratives about Jesus are true, as I've explained in other posts, such as this one. Furthermore, my years of experience as a spirit medium have given me additional reason to disregard these accounts about Jesus and doubt the veracity of the Bible. This is because I believe the Bible's depictions of the afterlife are inaccurate and even misleading. I base my opinion on forty-five years of personal experience as a spirit medium and seventeen years as a seasoned paranormal investigator. Given everything I've experienced throughout my life as a spirit medium, I think it would be intellectually dishonest of me to accept the Bible's accounts of the afterlife as absolute truth.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The verses in Quran say he won't die till all people of the book believe in him. We saw @InvestigateTruth try to make this about Baha'allah coming as in Jesus (a) coming back and that at the end of his qiyama (when next Prophet comes), all people of the book will believe in him. Of course, it's none sense, the topic is about the attempt to crucify him and attempts to kill him and says in that context none of the people of the book will remain but will believe in him before his death.

To be consistent with Qiyama of Isa (a), it would mean by Mohammad (s), since the day of judgment of Isa (a) is still Mohammad (s). But of course, consistency is not important for Bahais. Just caprice shooting at meaning of verses to justify the none sense their Prophet said.

Then why does Quran single him out as the Messiah? It confirms he is the Messiah, doesn't call anyone else that in the Quran.
I am sorry, but I am not familiar with the Qur'an which is why I do not enter into discussions about Islam and the Qur'an.

PureX

Veteran Member

1) Jesus is God

It simply doesn't matter whether they are true or not, because we will never know if they are true or not so long as we are human beings.

What matters is how believing that they are true, or believing that they are not true, effects the course of our lives (and the lives of those around us). What we believe in ignorance is irrelevant. What we do in life is not.

God is way more transcendent, expansive, and inclusive than ANY religion of man can ever be.
What if they finally realized that Jesus never left. He is still walking the Earth, within us all.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First, I would like to say that I think your OP is well written and insightful. Second, I'd like to respond to your statement from my personal perspective as a former Christian and spirit medium. As a former Christian, I no longer believe the biblical narratives about Jesus are true, as I've explained in other posts, such as this one. Furthermore, my years of experience as a spirit medium have given me additional reason to disregard these accounts about Jesus and doubt the veracity of the Bible. This is because I believe the Bible's depictions of the afterlife are inaccurate and even misleading. I base my opinion on forty-five years of personal experience as a spirit medium and seventeen years as a seasoned paranormal investigator. Given everything I've experienced throughout my life as a spirit medium, I think it would be intellectually dishonest of me to accept the Bible's accounts of the afterlife as absolute truth.
I think your finding are not consistent with interpretations that people go to a full hell and a full paradise after death that maybe some Christians have. However, what I understand, is hell and heaven to a lesser extent exist in this world, and after death, still remain unseen and not clear. It's just that unseen is experienced more, so Angels are witnessed, but not all people will testify to God's Angels as true there.

I believe the day of judgment is when all souls will know the truth in a certain way till then a lot of souls even at death won't know. When they die, they might wish they did good at fear of what they were promised, but they might also over time, believe there is no punishment and that the Angels who bring some punishment are just bothering them and are troublesome unseen entities.

It's said Ali (a) will appear beautiful to the believer upon death while his opponent will see him as ugly. Perhaps this shows how we perceive and value in this world, whether based on truth or falsehood, will determine how we see after death. Of course on day of judgment, we will be given clear vision of truth while beauty will still be veiled from those who hated it. They will however see the truth, just not witness the beauty of it from love's eyes.

I believe also you can derive disbelievers come under mastery of Satan after death. It's only day of judgment, when illusions of Iblis will become too clear to deny him as a clear enemy. Only then will the truth become too clear to deny.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It simply doesn't matter whether they are true or not, because we will never know if they are true or not so long as we are human beings.
I think we can know, but that is just my personal opinion which I don't want to argue about.
What matters is how believing that they are true, or believing that they are not true, effects the course of our lives (and the lives of those around us). What we believe in ignorance is irrelevant. What we do in life is not.
I agree.

1) Jesus is God

Believing 1 and 3 are pretty harmless, but believing that 2 and 4 are true is harmful.

Believing that 2 is true makes one arrogant (I have the only true religion) and separates Christians from non-Christians.
Believing 4 is true makes the believers complacent.
If Christians believe Jesus is going to return and fix everything, why lift a finger to make the world a better place?
God is way more transcendent, expansive, and inclusive than ANY religion of man can ever be.
I fully agree.
What if they finally realized that Jesus never left. He is still walking the Earth, within us all.
The spirit of Jesus never left but the body of Jesus left.
The spirit of Jesus is within some people, but the body of Jesus is not within anyone.

It is the body of Jesus that Christians are waiting for and believe will return, not the spirit.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Believing 4 is true makes the believers complacent.

I think this can be a result. It can also do the opposite. It can make people work to bring the catalyst that will bring the change needed back.

Waiting complacently and passively and mockingly is the way of disbelievers. While Prophet (s) show the proper way to wait. You should see the many verses about waiting in Quran. Mohammad's (s) people was threaten with destruction. Mohammad (s) is even told to say, if it was in his hands, the matter would be decided already. The same is true of Mahdi (a) and Jesus (a) return, all cities if they reject will be destroyed or punished severely. We can wait passively, or we can prepare the world so that punishment and destruction of most if not all cities be avoided. Of course, if Mahdi (a) can choose, he might want to come out now even if it results destruction of people. But we await trying to avert the worse results towards better results. And God has more patience in this regard than Mohammad (s) and the Mahdi (a).

There is a whole theme of how disbelievers await, with how Rasool (s) and his followers await.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
1) According to the Bible, Jesus is not the God. - > No problem for Christianity, if it is Biblical.
2) Would make Jesus not truthful. -> Credibility lost.
3,4) Would make Bible not true. -> Credibility lost.
1) Jesus is God

1) Would make the Bible true.

2) Would make Jesus not truthful only if (a) Jesus actually said that and (b) Jesus meant he was the only way to God for all time.

3) Would make the Bible not true.

4) Would make the Bible true. It would make the Bible true because:

Jesus never promised to return to earth, not once in the New Testament. Jesus said His work was finished here and He was no more in the world.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.