• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we accepted each others Religion?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, you are correct in that, and thanks for understanding the point. Some people are just better representatives of their faith than others.
FYI, I think you responded to that post before I finished editing it so you might want to go back and read what I wrote. ;)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand what you are talking about but I do not think that @Dawnofhope is one of those people, nor am I.

That said, I do not think those who do it are employing a tactic. I think they just cannot help from sharing their Baha'i beliefs since they think that is all that matters in life and it is the only solution to all the worlds' problems.

I do not think that way.
The Jehova Witnesses took a long time to learn their door to door methods furthered people from them and made them sort of a joke among people. So they changed it up I think and you see them standing at some places in the city but the door to door stuff has stopped.

I think the Bahais here who do employ the bait and switch talked about, are doing a disservice. In Quran, a lot of it is telling Mohammad (s) who does not need to be told, to leave the disbelievers alone and not bother them.

Obviously believers are to pursue that, and not bother everyone. There is a time and place for everything. If I am with friends and we are talking about a subject, and I interject religion into it, and do this often, I would over time distance myself from them.

Consequently, it would further them and make them not want to hear it, and be sick of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I understand what you are talking about but I do not think that @Dawnofhope is one of those people, nor am I.

That said, I do not think those who do it are employing a tactic. I think they just cannot help from sharing their Baha'i beliefs since they think that is all that matters in life and it is the only solution to all the worlds' problems.

I do not think that way.
Perhaps. I'm not totally sure, but it certainly seems like they do, but it could be unconsciously too. Thanks for suggesting I go back to re-read the edited version. I also don't think said people realize just how much harm they're doing their own cause, by being that way. I mean, who really likes the pushy salesman? I've walked out of stores for that reason.

I've tried to engage about the weather, or the scenery of Australia ... anything but Baha'i, but with very little success.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Perhaps. I'm not totally sure, but it certainly seems like they do, but it could be unconsciously too. Thanks for suggesting I go back to re-read the edited version. I also don't think said people realize just how much harm they're doing their own cause, by being that way. I mean, who really likes the pushy salesman? I've walked out of stores for that reason.
As a student of psychology who has an MA degree in psychology I like to analyze people, and I think I not so very naturally, since I am interested in people, how they think and why they say and do what they say and do.

No, I don't think said people realize just how much harm they're doing their own cause, but I also don't think they do it intentionally. They just cannot control themselves since in their minds there is nothing else that matters except the Baha'i Faith. My late husband was a Baha'i, had been for 64 years, but he was not a fanatic, as he was interested in other things.

There is nothing worse than the commercials on TV. For that reason I record all the programs on my DVR and speed through the commercials.
I've tried to engage about the weather, or the scenery of Australia ... anything but Baha'i, but with very little success.
I love talking about other things, especially what it is like in other countries. My first MA degree was in geography because I was always interested in other places and other cultures..

I usually go shopping on Monday since that is my day off, but I could not go out because of the deep freeze. It has warmed up to 28F and cloudy today but I still cannot go out shopping today because my car doors are still frozen shut. It is supposed to warm up and start raining overnight and be up to 43F by tomorrow so I plan to take some time off work and do my shopping. Rain, rain, glorious rain! I just hope my car starts because with no car I am stranded out here in the country.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a student of psychology who has an MA degree in psychology I like to analyze people, and I think I not so very naturally, since I am interested in people, how they think and why they say and do what they say and do.

No, I don't think said people realize just how much harm they're doing their own cause, but I also don't think they do it intentionally. They just cannot control themselves since in their minds there is nothing else that matters except the Baha'i Faith. My late husband was a Baha'i, had been for 64 years, but he was not a fanatic, as he was interested in other things.

There is nothing worse than the commercials on TV. For that reason I record all the programs on my DVR and speed through the commercials.

I love talking about other things, especially what it is like in other countries. My first MA degree was in geography because I was always interested in other places and other cultures..

I usually go shopping on Monday since that is my day off, but I could not go out because of the deep freeze. It has warmed up to 28F and cloudy today but I still cannot go out shopping today because my car doors are still frozen shut. It is supposed to warm up and start raining overnight and be up to 43F by tomorrow so I plan to take some time off work and do my shopping. Rain, rain, glorious rain! I just hope my car starts because with no car I am stranded out here in the country.
It warmed up to -16 C here today. It feels downright balmy because the weekend was -35 or worse. I'm also very much a student of human behaviour. It was a necessity for the 30 years I spent in a classroom. My own high expectations for people causes many a problem for me. It's like when your teenager does something just so dumb you can hardly believe they did it. "Don't expect much." is an internal mantra for me.

Diversity fascinates me, as do things like culture shock. We haven't travelled that much but the 3 months in Mauritius was probably the time I learned the most about how truly different other cultures can be. It was a long enough time to do some real study. I learned that because of poverty, wealth is even more valued than it is here. The better off people got a lot more respect than they deserved.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
That sort of stuff happens to most of us. It's called being a good neighbor. Not something unique to Baha'i, but if you want to pretend it is, that's fine.

Which bhajans did she sing?
I don’t know the names as she was chanting in Hindi.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It warmed up to -16 C here today. It feels downright balmy because the weekend was -35 or worse.
That is 3.2F which is not half bad for where you live, although I forgot your exact location. I heard from a friend I message on a dating site that this morning it was -5F where he lives in Kansas I can barely recall such cold temps although we had them when I lived in Indiana and upstate NY as a child.

As a child we used to go up to Canada on summer vacations, to our rustic cabin Lake Weslemkoon, which is in Ontario. My father was an English professor so he always took summers off so we could go there. Those were my fondest memories of childhood.
I'm also very much a student of human behaviour. It was a necessity for the 30 years I spent in a classroom. My own high expectations for people causes many a problem for me. It's like when your teenager does something just so dumb you can hardly believe they did it. "Don't expect much." is an internal mantra for me.
As I said, my father was a teacher and my sister was also a teacher, but I was always too shy to be a teacher, although I think it is a very laudable profession. I also don't think I could have handled teaching children since children were to be seen and not heard in my family. My sister taught teenagers but she had a tougher skin than I do.
Diversity fascinates me, as do things like culture shock. We haven't travelled that much but the 3 months in Mauritius was probably the time I learned the most about how truly different other cultures can be. It was a long enough time to do some real study. I learned that because of poverty, wealth is even more valued than it is here. The better off people got a lot more respect than they deserved.
I have traveled to most states in the U.S., and I lived in various states during my childhood and college years. I have also traveled to eastern and western Canada on vacations, during the summer. I went to Spain on work-study when I was in college studying Spanish and in 1980 I went to New Zealand on vacation for about six weeks. I loved that country. The culture is warm and friendly and the people did not seem as materialistic as people in the U.S. It might be different now, but I was amazed at the fact that most families only had one car and it was very small. Compare that with the U.S. where families have multiple cars.

I love to travel and most people look forward to traveling when they retire, but even if I retired it would be difficult for me to travel, since I have 8 cats. I can easily afford a pet sitter but I an anxious about leaving them, at least right now, since they are all I have left since the death of my husband.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is 3.2F which is not half bad for where you live, although I forgot your exact location. I heard from a friend I message on a dating site that this morning it was -5F where he lives in Kansas I can barely recall such cold temps although we had them when I lived in Indiana and upstate NY as a child.

As a child we used to go up to Canada on summer vacations, to our rustic cabin Lake Weslemkoon, which is in Ontario. My father was an English professor so he always took summers off so we could go there. Those were my fondest memories of childhood.

As I said, my father was a teacher and my sister was also a teacher, but I was always too shy to be a teacher, although I think it is a very laudable profession. I also don't think I could have handled teaching children since children were to be seen and not heard in my family. My sister taught teenagers but she had a tougher skin than I do.

I have traveled to most states in the U.S., and I lived in various states during my childhood and college years. I have also traveled to eastern and western Canada on vacations, during the summer. I went to Spain on work-study when I was in college studying Spanish and in 1980 I went to New Zealand on vacation for about six weeks. I loved that country. The culture is warm and friendly and the people did not seem as materialistic as people in the U.S. It might be different now, but I was amazed at the fact that most families only had one car and it was very small. Compare that with the U.S. where families have multiple cars.

I love to travel and most people look forward to traveling when they retire, but even if I retired it would be difficult for me to travel, since I have 8 cats. I can easily afford a pet sitter but I an anxious about leaving them, at least right now, since they are all I have left since the death of my husband.
With travelling, I prefer VERY different cultures, and pilgrimages. I'd like the scenery in New Zealand though. India was beautiful (the ancient stone temples) in one way and discouraging (poverty) in another. But it was certainly an eye-opener. We try to go to Hawaii once a year, but that's entirely pilgrimage. Here we go waterfall hunting, in BC. Some very impressive scenery, and isolated spots. Boss used to want to go to Malnomah (sp) Falls down your way, as we didn't stop for long enough to appreciate the one time we went through there. The Oregon coast is absolutely stunning.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What are these 'tactics'? I've never had any training to talk to people on the internet or anywhere else. Nor have any other Baha'is I know. Some people communicate differently from others and use language differently.
Baha'is, Christians and some "cult-type" religious groups go out and try to make friends with people. They shower them with love. That tactic works very well. Here on the forum LH has started threads that wanted the "oneness" of humanity to be taught in school. And then this one that wants us to accept all religions. This is basic Baha'i teachings. But it's not coming out and saying, "These are Baha'i beliefs, and the world would be better off if we all followed them."

I personally like the threads started by Baha'is, because it stirs things up a lot. But it is still promoting and teaching Baha'i beliefs. I kind of wish that the forum had a section for people in the different religions to just go for it and teach, preach and proselytize. It's happening anyway. Why not do it out in the open.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
With travelling, I prefer VERY different cultures, and pilgrimages. I'd like the scenery in New Zealand though. India was beautiful (the ancient stone temples) in one way and discouraging (poverty) in another. But it was certainly an eye-opener. We try to go to Hawaii once a year, but that's entirely pilgrimage. Here we go waterfall hunting, in BC. Some very impressive scenery, and isolated spots. Boss used to want to go to Malnomah (sp) Falls down your way, as we didn't stop for long enough to appreciate the one time we went through there. The Oregon coast is absolutely stunning.
I would like to see different cultures, particularly down in South America, but the problem is that I do not speak Spanish. I used to speak it a little but that was a long time ago, so I forgot all that I learned.

I always planned to go to Hawaii but I never got there. My former boss of many years, who retired last fall, used to to there for three weeks every November and my new boss is there right now. He just barely got back from Belize. He is a real traveler.

I am more of a mountain person than an ocean person. My favorite scenery are Banff and Jasper National Parks, but I also liked Glacier National Park.

My late husband and I always went to the Oregon coast for our annual vacations, beginning around 1990, for many years. We even took some cats. I have not been back there since 2012, but inspired by the scenery we bought a vacation house on the Washington coast, which is now a monthly rental, and I have had the same tenant for 11 years.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Baha'is, Christians and some "cult-type" religious groups go out and try to make friends with people. They shower them with love.
Maybe other Baha'is do that but I don't. Maybe that is why I do not fit in very well with the other Baha'is, but I can only be who I am.
I am not the 'shower them with love' kind of person, I am a more serious type.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The embodiment of each religion its essence and source is the Manifestation and His Holy Book. That IS the religion not the clergy or the followers or the added doctrines and dogmas.

Where did Christianity come from or the church? From Christ and the Bible which we fully accept. Christianity is Christ and the Bible. None of the religions could exist without the Manifestation and His Holy Book. The religion is not the clergy or the followers but what was given to them from God by the Manifestation.
Which Holy Book did Abraham write? Even with Moses there's a good chance he wrote nothing. If not these "manifestations", then who did write the Bible and the other Jewish Scriptures? Then there is the NT... even with the gospels we are uncertain who wrote them. Yet, you trust that Jesus really said and did what the gospels say? No. As we all know, Baha'is only believe some of the things written.
And when i read any of the Holy Books, all I see is truth. They seem to all be in harmony like a song sheet written by the same Writer.
You do remember that God sent a flood to kill everybody. He sent fire and brimstone to destroy a couple of cities. And that he ordered the Israelites to kill all the men, women and children in Jericho.
Im not sure which religion you are referring to or which sacrifices and ceremonies?
The Aztecs and other people have had religions where they sacrifice humans. Even religions mentioned in the Bible are called evil and false. Some religions of some people were just no good.
I’m only sharing a different way of viewing other religions which enables me to believe in them all.
Yes, it's the Baha'i way that includes the Baha'i interpretation of what is true about the other religions.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
By that logic an All-knowing and all wise God would reveal nothing concerning Judaism in my view. Baha'u'llah refers to Judaism in his writings though so if an All-knowing All wise God wouldn't do that then Baha'u'llah was not connected to such a God as per your logic in my view.

So all we can expect from an All-Knowing God is undemonstrated claims to knowledge? Got it in my view.

Irrelevant as they weren't connected to an All-knowing God either in my view.
Did the Bible mention other religions? Yes, and most all of them were false and worshipped false gods. Did Christianity mention Judaism? Yes, but what did he say about it? Then go on to Islam and the Baha'i Faith... do they mention Judaism and Christianity? I think they do. So, it looks like the only important religions to mention are the Abrahamic ones.

So, why would the prophet sent to unite all people and all religions not mention Hinduism?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would like to see different cultures, particularly down in South America, but the problem is that I do not speak Spanish. I used to speak it a little but that was a long time ago, so I forgot all that I learned.

I always planned to go to Hawaii but I never got there. My former boss of many years, who retired last fall, used to to there for three weeks every November and my new boss is there right now. He just barely got back from Belize. He is a real traveler.

I am more of a mountain person than an ocean person. My favorite scenery are Banff and Jasper National Parks, but I also liked Glacier National Park.

My late husband and I always went to the Oregon coast for our annual vacations, beginning around 1990, for many years. We even took some cats. I have not been back there since 2012, but inspired by the scenery we bought a vacation house on the Washington coast, which is now a monthly rental, and I have had the same tenant for 11 years.
Yes, language can be a real barrier for sure. In South India in more remote places, we had people who spoke English come right up to us and say things like, "You probably haven't spoken English for awhile, so I thought I'd come and chat."
Banff and Jasper are indeed exceptional, and the highway between the two is one of those drives (like the Oregon coast) where you do more stopping than driving. Have you done the 'Going to the Sun' road?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, it must be those other Baha'is.
I appreciate the one older fellow here who only posts in the Baha'i DIR. But on a positive note, we've encouraged them to post far less of those irrelevant quotes. There was a time when the answers were just 4 quotes of Baha'ullah. That still happens but not to the extent it used to.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, language can be a real barrier for sure. In South India in more remote places, we had people who spoke English come right up to us and say things like, "You probably haven't spoken English for awhile, so I thought I'd come and chat."
Banff and Jasper are indeed exceptional, and the highway between the two is one of those drives (like the Oregon coast) where you do more stopping than driving. Have you done the 'Going to the Sun' road?
Yes, we did drive the 'Going to the Sun' road and I will probably never forget it since I am afraid of heights! We almost did not make it down, I was so scared. I will never forget the bickering either. My late husband kept saying it was safe because otherwise why would they have a road there. The worst part was when a big motor home was in the next lane. There just is not enough room for that!