• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Your Country Becomes Islamic

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Getting back to the OP, it seems we have several camps regarding the oppressive Islamic regime:
1) Those who would violently rebel.
2) Those who would accept their lot.
3) Those who would use peaceful disobedience.
4) Those who refuse the hypothetical.

Any others to add to the list?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Who knows?
If we extrapolate from Japan's behavior up until their defeat, we'd see them repeat their behavior in Oz, eg, conquering, complete subjugation, rape, cannibalism.
Of course, if you say no prediction can be made, then why oppose being armed if you cannot know what the alternative is?

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Defence against whom? Who are you guys scared of?

Europe is no threat to you, neither is China, Sth America - who are you guys so afraid of?
Ķ

There has to be a fear factor. Without it a Nation has no justification to produce weapons.

Help! the ...(Name whatever people little is known about)....are coming they will defile our chickens, Marry our daughters, steal our cows and commit despicable, unspeakable acts. We must maintain military superiority to save the girl next door and Mom's apple pie.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There has to be a fear factor. Without it a Nation has no justification to produce weapons.
I think you have the cause & effect backwards. The weapons exist because of the threats.
Help! the ...(Name whatever people little is known about)....are coming they will defile our chickens, Marry our daughters, steal our cows and commit despicable, unspeakable acts. We must maintain military superiority to save the girl next door and Mom's apple pie.
Uh.....that was special.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
If we extrapolate from Japan's behavior up until their defeat, we'd see them repeat their behavior in Oz.
What if we extrapolate from America's behaviour in the Philipinnes? Just as brutal as Nanjing.
Of course, if you say no prediction can be made, then why oppose being armed if you cannot know what the alternative is?
Because being disarmed makes nations less agressive. It makes conflict less likely.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What if we extrapolate from America's behaviour in the Philipinnes? Just as brutal as Nanjing.
Because being disarmed makes nations less agressive. It makes conflict less likely.
I guess that there's no way we can settle the argument that Australia living under Japanese domination would be better or worse than being independent as a result of our winning the war. You might see US & Japan as being very similar, while I see the two as more different.

Btw, even if being disarmed does make a nation less aggressive, it also makes it more vulnerable to attack. Think of Poland.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I guess that there's no way we can settle the argument that Australia living under Japanese domination would be better or worse than being independent as a result of our winning the war. You might see US & Japan as being very similar, while I see the two as more different.
Exactly! You hit the nail right on the head.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Nobody wins wars.

Maybe, but I thought it was kinda nice that they were able to liberate the concentration camps. It was also kinda nice nice how the allied forces treated their POWs a bit better than did the Axis powers theirs. Those things I think mattered.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Getting back to the OP, it seems we have several camps regarding the oppressive Islamic regime:
1) Those who would violently rebel.
2) Those who would accept their lot.
3) Those who would use peaceful disobedience.
4) Those who refuse the hypothetical.

Any others to add to the list?
5. Those whose societies can simply peacefully dismiss the government in such situations. Not a shot fired.

In Australia the army exists to defend the population, not the government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
5. Those whose societies can simply peacefully dismiss the government in such situations. Not a shot fired.
In the hypothetical of the OP, an oppressive Islamic regime came to power. However they accomplished this, do you think it practical that you could peacefully dismiss them?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

In Australia the army exists to defend the population, not the government.
Should they disband?
Reasons:
1) It doesn't matter who wins because no one wins. (A noted Aussie philosopher said this.)
2) Having weapons makes Aussies more aggressive. (Same philosopher again.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't answer your question without conducting some sort of poll.
No feeling off the top'o your head?
Here, WW2 is discussed often. (I've also known many WW2 vets, & talked with them about their experiences. All dead now. Old age is the best way to go.) Overwhelmingly, people agree that it was good that Japan & Germany lost. I find it very hard to believe that many people in allied countries are all meh about who won, ie, that life under Nazis & Imperial Japan could'a been just as good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe, but I thought it was kinda nice that they were able to liberate the concentration camps. It was also kinda nice nice how the allied forces treated their POWs a bit better than did the Axis powers theirs. Those things I think mattered.
Aye, I share the same values. But of course, the Japanese & Nazis had different values, & fought hard to preserve their agendas. I'm not saying that either side has the absolute inerrant truth, but I'd expect that Aussies would share our values, & oppose what Japan & the Nazis were trying to achieve. To be neutral about the outcome of WW2 strikes me as a very unusual position, one which I'm having a hard time grokking.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Not a great example I'm afraid Father. The US has the highest incarceration rate on earth and famously brutal and violent prisons. Not to forget Abu Ghraib and the practice of rendition. In fact the US is one of the only developed countries that still advocates for the use of torture and rendition, and executes more of it's citizens than almost any other country.