• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Your Country Becomes Islamic

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe, but I thought it was kinda nice that they were able to liberate the concentration camps. It was also kinda nice nice how the allied forces treated their POWs a bit better than did the Axis powers theirs. Those things I think mattered.

They did.

But seeing how we pretty much forgot about them since and have become jaded by air bombings to the point of saying with a clean face that they "help peace", one must ask whether that mattered in the long run. It is quite unclear whether the current world is better off overall with the Allies having won WW2 than it would be if the Axis had won.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In the hypothetical of the OP, an oppressive Islamic regime came to power. However they accomplished this, do you think it practical that you could peacefully dismiss them?

I certainly do. Any other way would be self-defeating or worse.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Aye, I share the same values. But of course, the Japanese & Nazis had different values, & fought hard to preserve their agendas. I'm not saying that either side has the absolute inerrant truth, but I'd expect that Aussies would share our values, & oppose what Japan & the Nazis were trying to achieve. To be neutral about the outcome of WW2 strikes me as a very unusual position, one which I'm having a hard time grokking.

The USA of today have sharply different values from those of the early 1980s (and not for the better), let alone the 1940s.

Who knows which values Germany and Japan or their client states could have today? Both countries have a consistent history of learning their lessons well, after all.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Getting back to the OP, it seems we have several camps regarding the oppressive Islamic regime:
1) Those who would violently rebel.
2) Those who would accept their lot.
3) Those who would use peaceful disobedience.
4) Those who refuse the hypothetical.

Any others to add to the list?

I doubt if an "Oppressive Islamic or other Religious Regime" would have much chance of succeeding. The biggest danger is an economic take over, which is a battle we are actually loosing. It is nearly impossible to go into a store and find any "Made in America" products. There is a big possibility of being conquered but the conquest is going to be by economics not a physical take over. Our goal of high tech professional employment has greatly affected our ability to produce the simple necessities such as food and clothing. Most material producing jobs have now gone to other nations. We produce fantastic futuristic weapons, but it is difficult to find warm clothing "Made in America"

We are being conquered by an oppressive group, but they are doing so without invading. Our own economic failures are resulting in or will result in oppressive laws. It seems our current life-boat is to create jobs by finding a reason to produce more and better weapons. We have become an economy that depends on making war threats profitable.We have become our own oppressive invaders. Quoting Walt Kelly in his classic comic strip:

PogoMetTheEnemy.jpg~original

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They did.

But seeing how we pretty much forgot about them since and have become jaded by air bombings to the point of saying with a clean face that they "help peace", one must ask whether that mattered in the long run.
In the long run, we're all dead. So I focus on more immediate goals. I presume that you do to, otherwise you wouldn't work to buy food to live.
It is quite unclear whether the current world is better off overall with the Allies having won WW2 than it would be if the Axis had won.
It's a judgement call based upon personal values. I find the Nazis & Imperial Japanese to be far worse than the Allies.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Revoltingeist

Aussies do share many values with the Seppo's, but there are some HUGE differences. We do not accept capital punishment, torture, rendition, violence within prisons (it happens, but is not as endemic) and the idea of having 25% of the worlds prisoners in US jails is horrifying.

So yes, the idea of the country most likely to execute and imprison me winning is not as clearly superior from outside of the US.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In the long run, we're all dead. So I focus on more immediate goals. I presume that you do to, otherwise you wouldn't work to buy food to live.

That is actually true, but I do attempt to consider the effects of my actions on the present and future of others. We leave a legacy.

One of the most direct results is that I assign the extinction of militaries and arms races a very high priority indeed. Only drug use comes anywhere near in a list of humanity's most destructive endeavors.

It's a judgement call based upon personal values. I find the Nazis & Imperial Japanese to be far worse than the Allies.

If we go by the immediate results in the 1940s and taking for granted that the war is already an unavoidable reality, most certainly.

One has however to wonder whether the Germans and Japanese even have it on them to blunder quite so spectacularly as to make their hypothetical triumph in WW2 a clear bad thing for the world of today.

Would a world where Nazi Germany and State Shinto lasted a while longer have kept them for much longer? Probably not.

Would such a world reach the 2010s with situations worse than ours? I just don't know. It is certainly not clear that it would. We have Guantanamo, we had Iran-Contras, we have around a trillion dollars wasted in attempting to make so many people killed and made miserable that Iraq became a Shia regime as opposed to a Sunni one. We have many Israelis apparently sincerely believing that there is no big moral deal in killing Gazans for the pride and safety of the country. We have Americans saying out loud that air bombings save lives. We have the USA all but doomed to rely on the military industrial complex in order to remain economically viable.

That is way too much bloody insanity for one to seriously say that the world is better off because WW2 went the way it did.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, probably within hours.
How on Earth did a regime so antithetical to your people come to power? Would not whatever this method & the reason be such that you couldn't just dismiss them peacefully so quickly? This seems more a refusal of the hypothetical.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
How on Earth did a regime so antithetical to your people come to power? Would not whatever this method & the reason be such that you couldn't just dismiss them peacefully so quickly? This seems more a refusal of the hypothetical.
Not at all. It is just that the government in Australia does not have the power to introduce such a regime.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That is actually true, but I do attempt to consider the effects of my actions on the present and future of others. We leave a legacy.

One of the most direct results is that I assign the extinction of militaries and arms races a very high priority indeed. Only drug use comes anywhere near in a list of humanity's most destructive endeavors.
Should Brazil immediately disarm?
What happens if all but one country, an aggressive rapacious country, disarm?
If we go by the immediate results in the 1940s and taking for granted that the war is already an unavoidable reality, most certainly.
One has however to wonder whether the Germans and Japanese even have it on them to blunder quite so spectacularly as to make their hypothetical triumph in WW2 a clear bad thing for the world of today.
The war was not as easily won as you imagine. Had Pearl Harbor & the Battle of Midway gone differently (& they could've), the US could've lost the Pacific war, even with the atom bomb.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
This effectively is to not respond to the OP's hypothetical.
I'm sorry you think so. It was an honest and considered answer. As I said, the government does not have the power to do such things here. If the gov introduced sucha regime, they would cease to be the government.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Should Brazil immediately disarm?

Yes, of course.

What happens if all but one country, an aggressive rapacious country, disarm?

We come that much closer to attaining global sanity.

The war was not as easily won as you imagine. Had Pearl Harbor & the Battle of Midway gone differently (& they could've), the US could've lost the Pacific war, even with the atom bomb.

You had to remind me of the atomic bomb...

I don't think the war was won easily at all. In fact, I don't think it could have been kept much longer. It is my understanding that it put the economic capabilities of its main players under severe strains.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well they can be handy for civil emergencies, and I think some sort of nucleus is useful. But yes, I would largely think them redundant.
Wouldn't civil emergencies be better addressed by doctors, construction workers, cooks, etc? By your own reasoning, you cannot win any war, & you only become more aggressive. This is far worse than "largely redundant"....it's dangerous, as I understand your perspective.