• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Your Country Becomes Islamic

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
For Australia, if the government declared us to be an Islamic nation and so on - they would cease to be the government within a few hours.

Jumi

I'd basically want to leave the country if any religion took over and it became a theocracy. Whether it was some flavor of Islamic or of Christian wouldn't make a difference to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For Australia, if the government declared us to be an Islamic nation and so on - they would cease to be the government within a few hours.
What would you do? Throw boomerangs at them? Hit them with didgeridoos? Send dingos after their babies? Force'm to picnic at Hanging Rock?

(You know I just had to make fun of your not being as well armed as us'ns.)

Last edited:

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
it the case in most of the countries - look at pakistan (just three or four weeks before they burnt to death two christians blaming of blasphemy.) what is the legal age of marriage in Saudi Arabia? are there child marriages? what about the law that demands "an eye for an eye"? So you have converted to a Muslim- do you Muhammad married a a six year old girl? I tell you one or two muslim countries are peaceful but that can be compared only with a sleeping volcano. Even if you live in all Muslim dominated countries, you will find no problem there.

Pakistan is in turmoil. There is no excuse for what is happening there. The government has pretty much lost control.

As for marriage in Islam there is no chronological minimum age except both parties are to be physically and mentally capable of marriage. Yes, there are abuses of this. Saudi is finally taking steps to stop the abuses:

In an unprecedented move, the Saudi Ministry of Justice has drafted regulations which propose a minimum age of marriage of 16 for girls in the Kingdom and preconditions if the girl is younger than this. This responds to local media campaigns and ongoing international pressure from Equality Now and others. Abu-Dayyeh encourages the Kingdom to implement these provisions without delay, but to also “consider further regulations which will ensure the protection of girls from harm, including raising this age to 18 in line with international standards.

SOURCE

The question was about the freedoms of non-Muslims in predominately Muslim Nations. My answer remains the same there is no loss of religious freedom for non-Muslims in most of the Muslim Nations. However, proselytizing is forbidden in nearly all if not all Muslim Nations.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Somehow your government declares islam as your new national religion.You are expected to comply with rules like:

-All kinds of alcohol use is forbidden

-Premarital sex is forbidden

-Women should cover themselves from head to toe

-You cannot talk about and practice anthing not compatible with islam such as athesim , evolution
I'd be sober, bored, and outlawed.

Anything other than a secular state is intolerable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What would you do? Throw boomerangs at them? Hit them with didgeridoos? Send dingos after their babies? Force'm to picnic at Hanging Rock?

(You know I just had to make fun of your not being as well armed as us'ns.)

I understand, but just in case you are wondering what could be done, let me point out that a government can't really exist without popular support. People would refuse to work for them, to acknowledge their decrees, to give them access to resources if given sufficient provocation.

It seems to me that the scenario in the OP is plenty enough provocation in most any country that isn't de facto Muslim. And probably in many that are, as well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand, but just in case you are wondering what could be done, let me point out that a government can't really exist without popular support. People would refuse to work for them, to acknowledge their decrees, to give them access to resources if given sufficient provocation.
It seems to me that the scenario in the OP is plenty enough provocation in most any country that isn't de facto Muslim. And probably in many that are, as well.
If Australiastan's government became Islamic, it's reasonable to presume that it had popular support, since that's how it functions. In this case, "the people" have spoken, & those rascals who refuse to go along wouldn't likely find civil disobedience fruitful. They'd probably find it deadly.

Lookie here, I'm not saying the OP is likely. But the hypothetical is what it is. It would have implications & consequences.

Ooooooo...post #59,000! On me way to the big 60K....no wonder Hillary likes this post.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back to the OP - I guess I'd be an outlaw or a "walking dead man". I would fight with everything I have to resist having my daughters live in an Islamic state.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If Australiastan's government became Islamic, it's reasonable to presume that it had popular support, since that's how it functions.

A fair enough reading, although it was not mine.

In this case, "the people" have spoken, & those rascals who refuse to go along wouldn't likely find civil disobedience fruitful. They'd probably find it deadly.

I'm not so sure myself. Australia seems to be somewhat adverse to that mentality.

Lookie here, I'm not saying the OP is likely. But the hypothetical is what it is. It would have implications & consequences.

Yes. So much depends on the unstated premises that would make it possible, though.

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
It would be no different in Islam.

I don't want to find out.

I'm reasonably happy with the Christianised secularism that is, unfortunately, slipping away. It is a unique product of our history and culture. Whatever replaces it whether Islam or an increase in statism is not English and has no relation to western culture.

I expect a lot of blood to flow in either case.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not so sure myself. Australia seems to be somewhat adverse to that mentality.
You mean "averse".
Anyway, if Australiastan adopted the kind of oppressive medieval government hypothesized in the OP, this would strongly suggest that their "mentality" had changed for the worse.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You mean "averse".

Yes, sorry.

Anyway, if Australiastan adopted the kind of Islamic government in the OP, this would strongly suggest that their mentality had changed for the worse.

Or an insane President / PM, most likely.

I mean, come on. Australian women being demanded by law to dress in black? It takes a lot of creativity to imagine such a measure becoming popular.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, no religion does.

I do not know of any religion that has a minimum chronological age for Marriage. In fact it has probably only been in the past 200 years that any Nations established a minimum age.

The minimum age is secular not religious

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or an insane President / PM, most likely.
I mean, come on. Australian women being demanded by law to dress in black? It takes a lot of creativity to imagine such a measure becoming popular.
Ours is not to question why, ours is to answer the hypothetical....not matter how unlikely it seems.