• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, in your opinion, is the worst thing one person can do to another?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In all likelihood, the worse thing one person can do to another is vote Republican.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Actually i don't understand the logic of the question.

Okay, perhaps it's a poor question. I'll be more direct and ask it this way...

Is your position really that the absolute worst thing anyone can do to anyone else is "cause them to stumble and miss Heaven", which is in your opinion worse than "anything that can be done with just an earthly impact" including the act of raping, torturing and murdering a child?

And if so, how do you view someone like myself, a vocal atheist who might "cause someone to stumble and miss Heaven", compared to the act of a child torture-rapist/murderer? Do you really see my act of speaking out against religion (which someone might believe and not go to heaven because of) as a worse act than that?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Is your position really that the absolute worst thing anyone can do to anyone else is "cause them to stumble and miss Heaven", which is in your opinion worse than "anything that can be done with just an earthly impact" including the act of raping, torturing and murdering a child?

And if so, how do you view someone like myself, a vocal atheist who might "cause someone to stumble and miss Heaven", compared to the act of a child torture-rapist/murderer? Do you really see my act of speaking out against religion (which someone might believe and not go to heaven because of) as a worse act than that?

If heaven in the Christian context is real then causing someone to 'miss' heaven would be, in my opinion, the worst thing you could do. If heaven in the Christian context is not real, then such an influence would not be even slightly bad. In fact, it might be good. I guess it all depends on what reality is.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
If heaven in the Christian context is real then causing someone to 'miss' heaven would be, in my opinion, the worst thing you could do. If heaven in the Christian context is not real, then such an influence would not be even slightly bad. In fact, it might be good. I guess it all depends on what reality is.

I'm still curious to hear from a christian if they see vocal atheist's like me as worse than child torture-rapist/murderers... I like to know where I stand. ;)

Also, I think preaching to others that this short, precious finite life we have is just the waiting room for something even better and infinite, is a seriously despicable act too. ;)

Last edited:

Walkntune

Actually a very good question.
If the concept of eternal torture is real then I think that to suffer even a whole life time is not even comparable to eternity.
Even if Hell does not exist it would better to suffer a lifetime then to be apart from God for eternity.

All of this being said I do not hold you accountable for your actions.
Jesus stated,"forgive them for they know not what they do." and that is how I see your stance as a non- believer.
If you were a believer and then you caused someone to stumble and miss Heaven on purpose and then I think you would have committed a worse act then something only having an earthly impact.

whether God holds you accountable is another story.
Luke 17:2 "It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble.

Paul murdered Christians and yet become a great apostle.God has a pretty huge amount of grace and forgiveness!

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Actually a very good question.
If the concept of eternal torture is real then I think that to suffer even a whole life time is not even comparable to eternity.
Even if Hell does not exist it would better to suffer a lifetime then to be apart from God for eternity.

All of this being said I do not hold you accountable for your actions.
Jesus stated,"forgive them for they know not what they do." and that is how I see your stance as a non- believer.
If you were a believer and then you caused someone to stumble and miss Heaven on purpose and then I think you would have committed a worse act then something only having an earthly impact.

whether God holds you accountable is another story.
Luke 17:2 "It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble.

Paul murdered Christians and yet become a great apostle.God has a pretty huge amount of grace and forgiveness!

Mind boggling belief... the child rapist, torturer, murderer, and the most wicked of all, the atheist, might be forgiven and get to heaven, yet the individual the atheist caused to "stumble" could burn in hell for eternity. :facepalm:

Last edited:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Mind boggling belief... the child rapist, torturer, murderer, and the most wicked of all, the atheist, might be forgiven and get to heaven, yet the individual the atheist caused to "stumble" could burn in hell for eternity. :facepalm:

I don't think anyone means atheists are more horrible people than child rapists and murderers. I think they mean it would be more terrible for someone to not get into heaven than for their child to be raped and murdered(which seems selfish to me). But I don't think they think atheists are the worst people, because when they screw people out of heaven it isn't on purpose. It's not like they are purposely tricking people so they won't get into heaven. The result (not getting into heaven) would be a terrible thing, which the atheist caused, even though (s)he didn't mean to. It's still a horrible thing to do do someone, even if it isn't on purpose.

I don't agree though. I still think having your family and friends tortured and killed in front of you would be worse than being tortured in hell yourself. Maybe the worst thing(if there was a hell) would be to go to hell and watch as your family and friends, who are also in hell, are tortured, while you're tortured too. Since I don't believe there is a hell though, I'm sticking with my original answer.

gnomon

I have a hard time answering the question. What do you believe to be the worst thing a person can do to another. Some examples (as if you need them):
Rape
Murder(of person or of family members of person)
Molest
torture
and many more.

(I apologize if this topic turns out to be too morbid)

Murder.

I once saw an interview with a former SS officer who was loading Jews into trucks for shipment to death camps. He very graphically described how he grabbed a six year old by the legs and swung him into the side of the truck to shut up his crying. A child that age has done nothing in it's short life to offend anyone.
Whether you like kids or not, have kids or not, deadly violence against children is monsterous.
I was surprised this guy could live without killing himself upon reflection of his actions. He had apparently convinced himself it needed to be done at the time.

waitasec

Veteran Member
But I hate kids.

I'm not ready to be a dad! And I love women. Can you imagine the kind of insult you would feel if someone rapes and tortures the woman you're inlove with in front of you?

what about the woman...who's being raped?

i think your ownership of another person is insulted

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
what about the woman...who's being raped?

i think your ownership of another person is insulted

I agree the woman being raped would be worse. I also agree it would be awful to watch someone you love being tortured- because you know they are suffering and you can't do anything to stop it. But the person being tortured hurts more.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I agree the woman being raped would be worse. I also agree it would be awful to watch someone you love being tortured- because you know they are suffering and you can't do anything to stop it. But the person being tortured hurts more.

I believe this is not necesarily the case. Anyways, it sounds uffle to both accounts.