• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Christianity, and what makes a Christian a Christian?

idav

Being
Premium Member
IMO, it's still correct to call heterodox (or even heretic) followers of Christ "Christian".
IMO that is exactly what a heretic would say. :)

Really just depends on which books they find to be holy. A christian would likely believe in some story with that Jesus character. Why would it be unchristian to think boy Jesus killed a little boy and brought him back to life?

Shermana

Heretic
"Opinion" has little to do with either "spirit" or "truth." "Attitude" has little to do with "opinion." One can hold any of several opinions and worship both in spirit and in truth. If one has the right attitude -- that is, a stance facing God -- then opinion really is of no consequence.

You do realize that Xy is more about attitude than doctrine, right? An attitude of judgment and exclusion has more bearing on one's ontological stance than one's specific doctrine.

I think Paul said something in Galatians like "If anyone preaches a doctrine different than mine, let him be damned". Sounds pretty exclusive and judgmental. And some serious attitude too.

If XY is not concerned about doctrine, then you disagree with Paul at least. Does this mean you believe Gnostics were truly "Christians"?

Shermana

Heretic
I'm a Christian, and in some people's opinions, the doctrines I believe are off-the-chart preposterous. Note: I say "in some people's opinions." The doctrines I believe certainly aren't preposterous to me. To an atheist, the idea that a man was killed and rose again three days later is preposterous. Does that make the belief in the Resurrection be a non-Christian one?

We will have to establish what "Preposterous" means. I do not find a raising from the dead "preposterous" in my religious view. I find the idea that you don't have to obey the Mosaic Law Preposterous, and I find the idea Jesus didn't preach total obedience to Mosaic Law to be preposterous, and I find many Rabbinical and Talmudist views preposterous like "a kid and its mother's milk" meaning you can't have a chicken cheesesteak. If we agree that TULIP is wrong, and we agree that Calvinism is wrong, then they are not Doctrines Christ would approve of. Thus, your definition of "Christianity" ,in this understanding, is a disconnect altogether from what "Christian" originally meant. It's one thing to "judge" it's another to compare the facts and evidence of what the original Christians actually believed, apart from Theological biases and doctrines. I think its fair to conclude that most modern historians consider Jesus as a Reactionary Jewish leader, and the early "Christians" were almost entirely a Jewish sect until after the 1st century after the destruction of Jerusalem.

Jesus said "If you don't love me, you won't obey my commandments". Does this mean you can say you love Jesus on his terms (not your terms of what it means to "love"), but on his terms, if you don't obey his commandments? If one can call themselves "Christians" regardless how they interpret and follow the teachings of Yashua, then Gnostics can be called "Christians". But usually you see "Gnostic Christian" when reading about them, this is because their views are so deviant from the so-called "orthodoxy".

My point is, for scholarly, historical objective definition, the word "Christian" should exclusively only ever apply to the original 1st century Jewish sect that were classified as "Jews" according to the Roman census before 70 A.D. Anything after 70 A.D. should be hyphenated for the sake of scholarly, objective purpose.

Shermana

Heretic
I may be a heretic, but I don't claim to be Christian. ;)

So "Christian" equals "approved by God"?

Well, technically, yes in fact!

"Christ" = "Anointed", "Anointed" = Holy Oil recipient, reserved for those who are "approved by G-d". (Misuse of Holy Oil = Stoning).

Church = "Elect/called outs/chosen/assembly thereof"

"Christian" = Disputed title over those who consider themselves part of Christ's "Church", or a "Follower of the Anointed One".

"Many will be called, few will be chosen".

So by the Bible's own standard, yes, that is in fact what "Christian" would mean. One who is approved by G-d and is a true member of the Elect, not because they think they are but because Providence has chosen them directly due to their virtue and correct understanding. Saying you are approved is quite a bold statement one should be prepared to back up.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, technically, yes in fact!

"Christ" = "Anointed", "Anointed" = Holy Oil recipient, reserved for those who are "approved by G-d". (Misuse of Holy Oil = Stoning).
Referring to Jesus Christ, though... not Christians generally. Not every Christian is a Messiah.

Church = "Elect/called outs/chosen/assembly thereof"
I dispute this definition of "church".

"Christian" = Disputed title over those who consider themselves part of Christ's "Church", or a "Follower of the Anointed One".

"Many will be called, few will be chosen".
So... if a person's beliefs don't have Christ's stamp of approval - by whatever criteria you use to decide whether it's been granted - then they're not followers of Christ?

But back to your definition: I see that "people who consider themselves part of Christ's church" is in there. What's wrong with that as a definition of "Christian"?

So by the Bible's own standard, yes, that is in fact what "Christian" would mean.
Very little of what you just argued comes from the Bible.

Also, arguing a definition of "Christian" based on the Bible, which itself is based on a stance that the Bible defines Christianity, is rather circular.

One who is approved by G-d and is a true member of the Elect, not because they think they are but because Providence has chosen them directly due to their virtue and correct understanding. Saying you are approved is quite a bold statement one should be prepared to back up.
Hmm.

Here's my approach: I don't think that the term "Christian" is defined by God at all. Rather, it's defined by human beings. I think it describes a type of religious belief... specifically, one that's centred around Christ in some form.

IMO, the question of whether the form of Christ in question is the "right" form or not is irrelevant to whether the person is a Christian. The questions of whether the person's beliefs are approved by God or whether the person is saved are also irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Here's my analogy: a person who cheers for Manchester United is a Man U fan. This includes football hooligans and other people who the Man U football club might not approve of. They cheer for Man U, go to Man U games, wear Man U jerseys, and are motivated by sincere (if misguided) feelings toward Man U, so they're Man U fans, regardless of what Man U thinks about them.

Similarly, a person who sincerely believes that they're following Christ is a Christian, regardless of whether God likes what they're doing.

This is my take on it, at least.

Does this make sense to you? Do you see where I'm coming from?

Shermana

Heretic
Referring to Jesus Christ, though... not Christians generally. Not every Christian is a Messiah.
Christian = Follower of Christ as in one who obeys what the Messiah does and says to obey.
I dispute this definition of "church".
On what grounds? The word Ekklessia is literally "called-outs". Are you saying my definition is non-biblical? Oh wait, you did...without details why.

So... if a person's beliefs don't have Christ's stamp of approval - by whatever criteria you use to decide whether it's been granted - then they're not followers of Christ?
That's sorta what 1 John 3:4-10 says isn't it. And Paul with the whole "Anyone who preaches a doctrine different than mine, let him be damned", that one's hard to gloss over.

But back to your definition: I see that "people who consider themselves part of Christ's church" is in there. What's wrong with that as a definition of "Christian"?
Because it's not Biblical or historical, it's a recent title claimed by adherents well after it was first applied. It's like the word "Early Church". What does "Early Church" mean? What does "Church Father" mean? Origen would have been probably burned had he lived in the 4th century. Tertullian lived a century after Paul died. The issue here is who wants to call what, as opposed to a standard historical definition from which to base all future hyphenations from. If you think the Gnostic groups like Cainites and Sephites were "Christian", I will bet you dollars to yen 90% of Christiandom will fiercely disagree that they were "Christians". So, for the sake of objectivity, I am proposing that the word "Christian" should only be used unhyphenated when referring to its original 30-70 A.D. roots. All other uses should simply require a hyphenation to distinguish themselves from this initial Jewish sect. Fairly simple.

Very little of what you just argued comes from the Bible.
Which part exactly? Accusations generally go best with details. So you're saying Ekk-lessia does not equal "Out-calleds" or "elect", what then does it mean? The meaning of "Christ" was wrong? The "Many will be called, few will be chosen" part doesn't come from the Bible? Please elaborate what specifically I said was not biblical, and what the biblical definition is instead.

Also, arguing a definition of "Christian" based on the Bible, which itself is based on a stance that the Bible defines Christianity, is rather circular.
And that's where the issue stems from. You don't want to use the Bible and objective history to define the word, as I said should be the only case its used except for hyphenations, you believe anyone who thinks they are something should be entitled to say they are. That's fine, but I'm talking about historical, objective purposes.

Here's my approach: I don't think that the term "Christian" is defined by God at all. Rather, it's defined by human beings. I think it describes a type of religious belief... specifically, one that's centred around Christ in some form.
IMO, the question of whether the form of Christ in question is the "right" form or not is irrelevant to whether the person is a Christian. The questions of whether the person's beliefs are approved by God or whether the person is saved are also irrelevant to the issue at hand.
I doubt you will find more than a few who would agree that those who deviate beyond the general orthodoxy would be Christians. Likewise, I may not find more than a few who would agree that Christian should only be used without hyphenation for the 30-70 A.D. believers, but I'll say that the matter of doctrine and belief is in fact very important, or anyone can believe anything they want about Christ as long as they say they believe in him, this includes Gnostic Christians which I will bet dollars to yen most Evangelicals will deny Christian title to.

Here's my analogy: a person who cheers for Manchester United is a Man U fan.
Cheering for a football team and worshiping one who commanded obeying a set of commandments and rules is not the same. You are essentially making the same case that Katzpur made, that it's all about who you worship. I said I disagree, because of the verse "Worship me in Spirit and Truth". I don't believe any Christian can truly worship in "Spirit and Truth" unless G-d approves of their worship, as the scripture says. You say my view is not Biblical, but you leave out why for a reason, because it IS Biblical. Every part of it.

This includes football hooligans and other people who the Man U football club might not approve of. They cheer for Man U, go to Man U games, wear Man U jerseys, and are motivated by sincere (if misguided) feelings toward Man U, so they're Man U fans, regardless of what Man U thinks about them.
As I said in my previous example, Christ said that if you love him you will obey his commandments, and if you don't love him you won't, quite a major difference in the analogy with Football fans.

Similarly, a person who sincerely believes that they're following Christ is a Christian, regardless of whether God likes what they're doing.
Only in a post-modern deconstructive view where absolutes and biblical definitions don't matter, you are welcome to such a view nonetheless, however much I disagree.
This is my take on it, at least.

Does this make sense to you? Do you see where I'm coming from?
I do, and I respectfully disagree, especially on the grounds that my view IS Biblical, and your view isn't.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Christian = Follower of Christ as in one who obeys what the Messiah does and says to obey.
See... everything after "follower of Christ" is just your own interpretation.

On what grounds? The word Ekklessia is literally "called-outs". Are you saying my definition is non-biblical? Oh wait, you did...without details why.
We're talking about the definitions of words now, in the present. While etymology can be interesting, it doesn't trump the actual, modern usage when we're defining terms.

That's sorta what 1 John 3:4-10 says isn't it. And Paul with the whole "Anyone who preaches a doctrine different than mine, let him be damned", that one's hard to gloss over.
It's irrelevant.

First off, he doesn't say "... let him not be called a Christian". Second off, what Paul did or didn't say doesn't create any obligation for how we use the term today.

Because it's not Biblical or historical, it's a recent title claimed by adherents well after it was first applied.
I'm confused: If you don't like it, why did you give it?

Which part exactly? Accusations generally go best with details. So you're saying Ekk-lessia does not equal "Out-calleds" or "elect", what then does it mean? The meaning of "Christ" was wrong? The "Many will be called, few will be chosen" part doesn't come from the Bible? Please elaborate what specifically I said was not biblical, and what the biblical definition is instead.
It's your whole approach. You latch onto single words from the Bible and then go off on weird eisegesical tangents.

The fact of the matter is that the Bible only uses the term "Christian" a very small number of times, and the times it does use the term aren't enough to establish what the criteria are for how the word can and can't be used.

And that's where the issue stems from. You don't want to use the Bible and objective history to define the word, as I said should be the only case its used except for hyphenations, you believe anyone who thinks they are something should be entitled to say they are. That's fine, but I'm talking about historical, objective purposes.
No, we're not talking about historical purposes; we're talking about current usage. History can inform our judgement, but it's not the whole story.

I doubt you will find more than a few who would agree that those who deviate beyond the general orthodoxy would be Christians.
I find that hard to believe.

For example, how many people would say Oneness Pentecostals aren't Christian? Very few, IMO... even though they reject the doctrine of the Trinity.

If rejecting the Trinity isn't "deviating beyond the general orthodoxy", I don't know what is.

Likewise, I may not find more than a few who would agree that Christian should only be used without hyphenation for the 30-70 A.D. believers, but I'll say that the matter of doctrine and belief is in fact very important, or anyone can believe anything they want about Christ as long as they say they believe in him, this includes Gnostic Christians which I will bet dollars to yen most Evangelicals will deny Christian title to.
Enh. I've had Evangelicals tell me that Catholics aren't Christian.

Cheering for a football team and obeying a set of commandments and rules is not the same.
I'm not saying they are.

You are essentially making the same case that Katzpur made, that it's all about who you worship.
That's right. Worship Christ and you're a Christian.

Whether you're worshipping Christ the "right" way or whether you'll be saved are all separate matters.

I said I disagree, because of the verse "Worship me in Spirit and Truth". I don't believe any Christian can truly worship in "Spirit and Truth" unless G-d approves of their worship, as the scripture says. You say my view is not Biblical, but you leave out why for a reason, because it IS Biblical. Every part of it.
And if you want to use that to create your personal definition of some term like "Christian worshipping in Spirit and Truth", then go for it. But this is a subset of the people who can be validly termed "Christian", which probably includes many, many people whose beliefs you think God disapproves of.

As I said in my previous example, Christ said that if you love him you will obey his commandments, and if you don't love him you won't, quite a major difference in the analogy with Football fans.
Enh. If Christians actually went by what Jesus said in the Bible, they'd put a way bigger emphasis on ritual foot-washing than just about anything else. By the measure you suggest, I'd be hard-pressed to find any Christians at all.

Only in a post-modern deconstructive view where absolutes and biblical definitions don't matter, you are welcome to such a view nonetheless, however much I disagree.
Why? You can still condemn people as "bad Christians", "heretical Christians" or "hell-bound Christians"... but they're still Christians.

I do, and I respectfully disagree, especially on the grounds that my view IS Biblical, and your view isn't.
Well, like I said earlier, I don't think your view actually is Biblical. The Bible doesn't actually define "Christian", so any definition of the term is necessarily going to need a fair bit of extra-Biblical input.

Shermana

Heretic
We're talking about the definitions of words now, in the present. While etymology can be interesting, it doesn't trump the actual, modern usage when we're defining terms.
This is the crux of our disagreement, I simply disagree that modern terminology can trump origins. For instance, the word "worship" is no longer used in its original sense of "Worth-ship", neither does it generally mean what it means in Hebrew and Greek which is "Bow down/kneel/physically display loyalty" but has taken on meanings like "praise" and "believe in" which are separate concepts. For the sake of finding an objective definition of "Christian" in modern terms, there must be some bindings other than claiming to "worship" Christ, as you can see, even Evangelicals call Catholics "not Christians", so finding an objective definition to suit everyone is not going to happen. I will keep the argument to this issue of its origins.

For example, how many people would say Oneness Pentecostals aren't Christian? Very few, IMO... even though they reject the doctrine of the Trinity.
Oneness Pentacostals still teach that Jesus was G-d, their version of the Trinity is just different, it's ultimately the same no matter how they define it. Their doctrine is not nearly deviant enough from "orthodoxy" as say Gnostics. Evangelicals who say Catholics aren't Christians have an equal right to say their opinion (Which apparently seems to be doctrinally-based like mine), just like one would have a right to say Catholics are and others aren't, many say that JWs aren't Christian because they don't believe Jesus was G-d, they have a right to their opinion, but its only more proof that there will be little agreement to agree to disagree on most major issues. Thus, a hyphenation approach would sort this all out and prevent claims to exclusiveness and inclusiveness outside of its initial historical situation, which I think would be most fair.

The fact of the matter is that the Bible only uses the term "Christian" a very small number of times,
Yes, however, it uses several terms to refer to those people who are referred to as Christians, as such as the "Church" and the "Elect". Likewise, we can look at who the word was being used by and for. Peter uses it, and it is used by those under Peter's wing. Peter was a Torah observant Jew, the Church of Antioch was a Jewish sect, even if one accepts Acts 15 as authentic (there is controversy against it) Peter's church was not the one making changes in doctrine, it was the same as James' jerusalem church. By the Bible's own standard, the people referred to as "Christians" (by outsiders as well as Peter) were those of the Antioch Church. Now if you dispute that the Antioch Church wasn't a Torah observant Jewish sect, that's another story.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think Paul said something in Galatians like "If anyone preaches a doctrine different than mine, let him be damned". Sounds pretty exclusive and judgmental. And some serious attitude too.

If XY is not concerned about doctrine, then you disagree with Paul at least. Does this mean you believe Gnostics were truly "Christians"?
I'd be interested in an exegetical treatment of the passage in question here before I'd comment.

Absolutely! Gnostics are Xian.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is the crux of our disagreement, I simply disagree that modern terminology can trump origins. For instance, the word "worship" is no longer used in its original sense of "Worth-ship", neither does it generally mean what it means in Hebrew and Greek which is "Bow down/kneel/physically display loyalty" but has taken on meanings like "praise" and "believe in" which are separate concepts.
Yes, the word "worship" has changed meaning over time. I think this supports my argument more than yours.

For the sake of finding an objective definition of "Christian" in modern terms, there must be some bindings other than claiming to "worship" Christ,
Why?

as you can see, even Evangelicals call Catholics "not Christians", so finding an objective definition to suit everyone is not going to happen. I will keep the argument to this issue of its origins.
The fact that some people use a word incorrectly doesn't mean we can't agree on a definition.

Oneness Pentacostals still teach that Jesus was G-d, their version of the Trinity is just different, it's ultimately the same no matter how they define it.
So to you, the Trinity is not a part of "general orthodoxy"? What is, then?

Their doctrine is not nearly deviant enough from "orthodoxy" as say Gnostics.
It's probably no more "deviant" from mainstream orthodoxy than Mormonism, but you said before that they're not Christians, didn't you?

Evangelicals who say Catholics aren't Christians have an equal right to say their opinion (Which apparently seems to be doctrinally-based like mine), just like one would have a right to say Catholics are and others aren't, many say that JWs aren't Christian because they don't believe Jesus was G-d, they have a right to their opinion, but its only more proof that there will be little agreement to agree to disagree on most major issues. Thus, a hyphenation approach would sort this all out and prevent claims to exclusiveness and inclusiveness outside of its initial historical situation, which I think would be most fair.
In practical terms, it's unworkable, because most Christian denominations I know of probably wouldn't want to identify themselves with a hyphenation. Each one tends to think that it's "God's True Church" and all the others are wrong, so nobody's going to want to take a back seat to what they view as heresy.

Also, the fact of the matter is that there is a common aspect between all these "heretical" denominations. Even if you think that they're not doctrinally correct, they have enough similarities that they need some term to describe them as a group. Well, we already have a ready-made term: Christian.

Yes, however, it uses several terms to refer to those people who are referred to as Christians, as such as the "Church" and the "Elect". Likewise, we can look at who the word was being used by and for. Peter uses it, and it is used by those under Peter's wing. Peter was a Torah observant Jew, the Church of Antioch was a Jewish sect, even if one accepts Acts 15 as authentic (there is controversy against it) Peter's church was not the one making changes in doctrine, it was the same as James' jerusalem church. By the Bible's own standard, the people referred to as "Christians" (by outsiders as well as Peter) were those of the Antioch Church. Now if you dispute that the Antioch Church wasn't a Torah observant Jewish sect, that's another story.
This is all irrelevant. While the Bible specifies a few people and groups who were Christians, it doesn't specify who isn't.

As an analogy, if I say "New Yorkers, Californians and Texans are Americans", this doesn't imply that I think that people from Florida or Hawaii aren't American; I'm silent on that.

Also, the Bible doesn't equate "Christians" with "the saved" or "the elect". In fact, given some of what Jesus says in the Gospels ("Did we not prophecy in your name..."; "away from me, you evildoers!", etc.), I think it's actually reasonable to assume that "Christian" isn't equal to these terms, since, apparently, Jesus expects there to be unsaved people in these groups that the Bible calls "Christian".

No amount of Bible verses saying "A is Christian", "B is Christian", etc. can ever tell you who isn't Christian.

Shermana

Heretic
So to you, the Trinity is not a part of "general orthodoxy"? What is, then?
What I mean to say is that Oneness Pentacostals still hold on to the same core values as the Trinity, they just reject the terminology and expression of it, they still believe Jesus was G-d, I fail to see the actual difference in practice. I think the Oneness rejection of the Trinity is the rejection of their methodology to arriving at the conclusion, not the conclusion itself.
Yes, the word "worship" has changed meaning over time. I think this supports my argument more than yours.
Not really. The word "worship" doesn't change when it's mentioned in the Bible, it's only changed to suit the definitions of people as they wanted to see it. This proves MY point.

Also, the Bible doesn't equate "Christians" with "the saved" or "the elect".
It was spoken of for members of the Antioch Church. As I said, they were basically a Jewish sect. The Bible only refers to the disciples under Peter as "Christians". Thus, you can easily draw a line between the beliefs of what constituted those who were called "Christians". Your argument that it's not saying who "isn't" a Christian, in my opinion, is irrelevant, the Bible doesn't say who isn't a Jew either. The point being, going by a Biblical definition alone, we can say "Here is the root group, compare to later groups who call themselves such, do they compare to the original group", that is why I support hyphenation.

What we can agree to is that the Bible says clearly who are referred to as "Christians', and we can equally agree that it doesn't say who isn't one. However, this kind of logic basically says "It doesn't matter what the Bible says". Likewise, you kind of threw out what I said about Paul saying "Let anyone who teaches another doctrine be damned", you'll have to snip out Galatians if you want to achieve this view, I disagree that one who is "damned by Paul" would be called "Christian" by those who believe that Paul was an Apostle. Which is fine by me, since I don't give Paul's epistles much weight.

Essentially, this is a debate more about base philosophical concepts than it is about the specifics.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What I mean to say is that Oneness Pentacostals still hold on to the same core values as the Trinity, they just reject the terminology and expression of it, they still believe Jesus was G-d, I fail to see the actual difference in practice. I think the Oneness rejection of the Trinity is the rejection of their methodology to arriving at the conclusion, not the conclusion itself.
I don't see your rationale here as all that different from what I've heard from Mormons describing the "Godhead". What makes the one "Christian" and the other not?

Not really. The word "worship" doesn't change when it's mentioned in the Bible, it's only changed to suit the definitions of people as they wanted to see it. This proves MY point.
Human culture has moved on from the Bible. It's a had an influence on our society, but it's not the only influence.

It was spoken of for members of the Antioch Church. As I said, they were basically a Jewish sect. The Bible only refers to the disciples under Peter as "Christians". Thus, you can easily draw a line between the beliefs of what constituted those who were called "Christians". Your argument that it's not saying who "isn't" a Christian, in my opinion, is irrelevant, the Bible doesn't say who isn't a Jew either.
So the Bible is silent on more than one point. I don't see how this is a problem.

The point being, going by a Biblical definition alone, we can say "Here is the root group, compare to later groups who call themselves such, do they compare to the original group", that is why I support hyphenation.

What we can agree to is that the Bible says clearly who are referred to as "Christians', and we can equally agree that it doesn't say who isn't one. However, this kind of logic basically says "It doesn't matter what the Bible says". Likewise, you kind of threw out what I said about Paul saying "Let anyone who teaches another doctrine be damned", you'll have to snip out Galatians if you want to achieve this view. Which is fine by me, since I don't give Paul's epistles much weight.
I didn't throw it out; I said that it's irrelevant to the question of who the label "Christian" applies to. It probably has a bearing on theological discussions, but this question of terminology is not a theological discussion.

I just think your argument is ridiculous, because it relies on two points that, IMO, you haven't supported and are probably unsupportable:

- the Bible defines the term Christian" to the point that it says who is and isn't one.

- once the Bible puts a definition in place, subsequent societies aren't allowed to deviate from that definition, ever.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Someone who believes the ideas set forth in the Nicene Creed. Though in contemporary practice it might be best thought to utilize the version called the Apostle's Creed.

Any embellishment, addition, or removal of ideas from one of the Creeds is not part of the fundamental basis for Christianity. It might be part of your particular Denomination, Synod, Cult (doesn't matter what the label is in this case), but not a component necessary to be labeled Christian.

Though I must confess some confusion about why this thread has managed hundreds of replies when the answer is glaringly simple. This was something I learned in Sunday School when I was like 6; you recite the Apostle's Creed to announce your Faith...

MTF

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Someone who believes the ideas set forth in the Nicene Creed. Though in contemporary practice it might be best thought to utilize the version called the Apostle's Creed.

Any embellishment, addition, or removal of ideas from one of the Creeds is not part of the fundamental basis for Christianity. It might be part of your particular Denomination, Synod, Cult (doesn't matter what the label is in this case), but not a component necessary to be labeled Christian.

Though I must confess some confusion about why this thread has managed hundreds of replies when the answer is glaringly simple. This was something I learned in Sunday School when I was like 6; you recite the Apostle's Creed to announce your Faith...

MTF

I said same thing. But then the argument is its a proclamation of Faith only for the Catholics.

Nicene and Apostles creed do not go over well with the others:shrug:

Johnathan

Following jesus' teachings. the most important commandment being "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". The rest is just details.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
If it was glaringly simple, we wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we? Clearly, we don't all agree that some 4th century Creed is the "be all and end all" of what it means to be a Christian. As I asked someone else, why do I have to believe some creed if I believe what it says about God in the Bible? If the creeds really don't add anything to what's in the scriptures, what's the big objection to my refusing to accept it?

Last edited:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
If it was glaringly simple, we wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we? Clearly, we don't all agree that some 4th century Creed is the "be all and end all" of what it means to be a Christian. As I asked someone else, why do I have to believe some creed if I believe what it says about God in the Bible? If the creeds really don't add anything to what's in the scriptures, what's the big objection to my refusing to accept it?
What about parts of the creed?

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered, died, and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come.
Amen.

What is bolded. What do you think?

Johnathan

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is seen and unseen.

it is possible to believe in the things jesus said and thus be a xtian without believing in a creator. what matters is the here and now, not things which nobody can prove.

the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
Nope. I don't believe that Jesus was his own father.

he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
On the third day he rose again
in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
virgin birth is quite frankly kind of a ridiculous myth that i can't take seriously, and i prefer to focus on jesus' life rather than his death.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
he ascended into heaven
So... if you don't believe that God is beside himself, you're not a real Christian? :D

Seriously, though: this portion of the Creed suggests not only a personal God, but a corporeal one who exists in some sort of physical form. Do you think that a person has to accept this to be a Christian?