• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Christianity, and what makes a Christian a Christian?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So are you saying that before a person has acknowledged Jesus Christ as his Savior, he is alienated from Him? Then, at some point, he changes his mind and decides he no longer wants to be alienated? Do you see this changing of one's mind as also involving a changing of one's actions? Suppose a person has never felt alienated from Jesus? I'm thinking of my own relationship with Him. I was taught that He loves me from the time I was old enough to understand the concept. I can't remember a time when I ever felt alienated from Him.
I can't remember a time when I ever felt alienated from Jesus either, but for different reasons.

I'd think that to feel alienated from Jesus, a person would first have to accept that Jesus is capable of feeling alienated... i.e. that he's alive, aware, and watching over humanity or something. In my experience, very few non-Christians feel that.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Yes that is what I am saying. Everyone is alienated from Jesus until they repent. Also, we are not saved by good works. Good works are the result of, not the cause of, salvation.

blackout

Violet.
So are you saying that before a person has acknowledged Jesus Christ as his Savior, he is alienated from Him? Then, at some point, he changes his mind and decides he no longer wants to be alienated? Do you see this changing of one's mind as also involving a changing of one's actions? Suppose a person has never felt alienated from Jesus? I'm thinking of my own relationship with Him. I was taught that He loves me from the time I was old enough to understand the concept. I can't remember a time when I ever felt alienated from Him.

Yes that is what I am saying. Everyone is alienated from Jesus until they repent. Also, we are not saved by good works. Good works are the result of, not the cause of, salvation.

Looks like you're gunna have to change your mind,
and then change it back again Katz.

:p

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
I have it on good authority that Christians are largely made out of hydrocarbons.

Which explains why they make such good fuel. (I apologize, my warped humor could not be controlled)

For a non-Christian it is difficult to understand how some Christians can consider other Christians as being non-Christian. In simplist terms it seems that anybody who calls himself a Christian is Christian.

The real question should be "What is Christian behavior?" or to be more specific: "What behaviors are found only among Christians?"

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
It's come up several times in discussions and debates on this forum. People will be arguing about Christianity without having a set definition. I have seen people claim that Christianity is accepting the entire Bible as fact, only the New Testament, only the Gospels, and some strip it down even less than that.

What I want to know is, what is the bare-bones definition of Christianity? The definition that if you do not adhere to it you cannot legitimately call yourself a Christian. Must you believe Jesus existed? That he still exists? That the Bible is true? Must you believe in God? Does the story of the virgin birth matter? Etc.

Anyone who answers, please check your answer for any hidden suppositions and add them to your answer. I'm tired of people posting oversimplified definitions.
A Christian is one who believes in the Nicene Creed. This set definition has been around for centuries.

I believe in one God, the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial
with the Father;
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate
of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.

For our sake he was crucified
under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son
is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
I believe in one, holy, catholic,
and apostolic Church.
I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection
of the dead and the life of the world to come.
Amen.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Christians follow the teachings of their churches. Jesusists follow the teachings of Jesus, or Yeshua. Christians pick and choose their beliefs, Yeshua told it like it is.

Lol thats why ever single "Jesusists" or non-denominational Christian will not agree with each other over major beliefs, yet all claim to follow what Jesus taught.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I can't remember a time when I ever felt alienated from Jesus either, but for different reasons.

I'd think that to feel alienated from Jesus, a person would first have to accept that Jesus is capable of feeling alienated... i.e. that he's alive, aware, and watching over humanity or something. In my experience, very few non-Christians feel that.
I agree. Very well put.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I have a couple of questions for you, Ismaila. The first one is, do you believe repentance is just a one-time thing? Repent, accept Jesus and that's it? The second question is, if a person claims to be "saved" and doesn't treat his or her fellow human beings respectfully, that person is not really "saved"? I know a whole lot of people who have told me they're Christians (I'm assuming by that they mean they are "saved") and who have treated me in a quite un-Christian like manner. Would I be safe in assuming that they're just claiming to be "saved" and really aren't? That they're just claiming to be Christians and really aren't?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Nobody believed in the Nicene Creed before 325 A.D. Jacob. Better re-think that one.

Well put. I was thinking more along the lines of "Jesus never said anything about a Nicene Creed in any of the Gospels. ;) (I wanted to frubal you but that dreaded "You must spread some frubals around..." came up, ;) )

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nicene Creed sums up everything that a Christian was and is, before and after the 325 ad
Seeing how the Nicene Creed was largely created in order to deem the Arian Christians heretical, I don't think this can be reasonably held to be the case.

The Nicene Creed is a statement of the beliefs of one narrow category of Christianity that's been generally more successful than the others, but it doesn't sum up all of Christianity. Heck, even today, there are major Christian denominations that don't adhere to the Nicene Creed.

For instance, are you going to say that the Pentecostals aren't Christian? If they're not Christian, what are they?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Seeing how the Nicene Creed was largely created in order to deem the Arian Christians heretical, I don't think this can be reasonably held to be the case.

The Nicene Creed is a statement of the beliefs of one narrow category of Christianity that's been generally more successful than the others, but it doesn't sum up all of Christianity. Heck, even today, there are major Christian denominations that don't adhere to the Nicene Creed.

For instance, are you going to say that the Pentecostals aren't Christian? If they're not Christian, what are they?

Nicene Creed summed up the Christian Church that had apostolic succession. Nothing in it is new.

I wouldn't say the sects that are around today are not christian. But they do not hold the same truth and faith of the Christians of old.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nicene Creed summed up the Christian Church that had apostolic succession. Nothing in it is new.
The Arians had apostolic succession as much as the non-Arians.

I wouldn't say the sects that are around today are not christian.
Really? I think that's precisely what you suggested earlier:
A Christian is one who believes in the Nicene Creed. This set definition has been around for centuries.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
The Arians had apostolic succession as much as the non-Arians.
Yeah, and the Council happened to discuss that among other issues, in which the Bishops came up with the Creed which reflects the beliefs of the Church before and after that time lol. That is what councils are for. To set doctrine, and doctrine just doesn't come out of thine air.

Really? I think that's precisely what you suggested earlier:
I guess you do not know how to read?

I wouldn't say the sects that are around today are not christian. But they do not hold the same truth and faith of the Christians of old.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah, and the Council happened to discuss that among other issues, in which the Bishops came up with the Creed which reflects the beliefs of the Church before and after that time lol. That is what councils are for. To set doctrine, and doctrine just doesn't come out of thine air.
Neither position in the Arian controversy came out of thin air. What did come out of thin air at the Council of Nicea was the idea that one side was orthodoxy and the other was heresy.

In any case, this is all irrelevant unless you're saying that heretical Christians (however one defines heresy) aren't actually Christian.

I guess you do not know how to read?
The fact that I know how to read is what lets me see the conflict between your current statement and your earlier one.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Neither position in the Arian controversy came out of thin air. What did come out of thin air at the Council of Nicea was the idea that one side was orthodoxy and the other was heresy.
What came out of thin air was the thought that the son of god was of equal substance to the father which will not be found in scripture. It creates a premise that you have to hold in order to tie the scriptures to read with a trinity interpretation.

Many will read into Jesus and the father are "one" but don't take it that far when reading that all humans are the image of god. :shrug:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
In any case, this is all irrelevant unless you're saying that heretical Christians (however one defines heresy) aren't actually Christian.

Heretical Christians are still Christians, but who have perverted the truth, or gone astray.

The OP asked if there is a set definition of a Christian. And the oldest set definition of a Christian is one who holds onto what is outlined in the Creed.