• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God made of?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is there a difference between panendeism and panentheism?
Not really. I went to a panendeist forum to learn more, and came away with the conclusion that they invented a new word because they didn't quite grasp the original.

ETA: Revision: Panentheism is a broader category.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Not really. I went to a panendeist forum to learn more, and came away with the conclusion that they invented a new word because they didn't quite grasp the original.

ETA: Revision: Panentheism is a broader category.

Humm maybe I am a panantheist then :ninja:

What was the difference again? :D

I just read somewhere lately that panendeist feels he can treach mystic union with God through meditation and inner work, but probably better search out the term a bit more. :eek:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Humm maybe I am a panantheist then :ninja:

What was the difference again? :D

I just read somewhere lately that panendeist feels he can treach mystic union with God through meditation and inner work, but probably better search out the term a bit more. :eek:
The difference was explained to me thusly:
"Panentheism is a subset of theism, while panendeism is a subset of deism."

The first statement is patently false, and the second nonsensical.

Panentheism can be similar to theism in interpretation, however, it is no more a subset of theism than of atheism.

Deism, otoh is classically a subset of theism itself, differing only on the belief of intervention.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Does panentheism include a belief in preternatural agency?
Almost certainly not necessarily.

Panentheism is as broad and diverse as theism, in truth, and I would never presume to speak for all panentheists on any point of theology beyond the basic premise that God encompasses our reality, rather than remaining separate.

That said, if you clarify precisely what you mean by preternatural, I'd be happy to tell you the answers I've encountered.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
then it could be measured weighed and detected.

Funny though if its not energy, it has no power. maybe why we never see its existance.

I don't know about measured or weighed.. but detected, sure. I'd say all energy resulted from His infinite energy. So we detect it all the time.

But you can't really measure and weigh something infinite. Right?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I'm not familiar with any method doing so.. But you two are, so would you share it? Then perhaps i'll tell you again where you can begin measuring and weighing.
Well, infinite quantities of energy into any finite volume is going to produce a black hole immediately. That'd be fairly visible.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Well, infinite quantities of energy into any finite volume is going to produce a black hole immediately. That'd be fairly visible.

Really? I don't know much about black holes. And I didn't know scientists had figured that much out. How new is that information?

I don't have an argument for that, because I don't know much, if anything relevant about black holes. But, I do have a question. If the universe started as the infinite and miniscule thing it did, and is now expanding, was it within a finite volume as well or an infinite one?

outhouse

Atheistically
Really? I don't know much about black holes. And I didn't know scientists had figured that much out. How new is that information?

I don't have an argument for that, because I don't know much, if anything relevant about black holes. But, I do have a question. If the universe started as the infinite and miniscule thing it did, and is now expanding, was it within a finite volume as well or an infinite one?

we are able to measure something that happened roughly 13.6 billion years ago but never has anything ever measured been percieved as a deity born of mythology.