• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, I would say as God is a Spirit person (invisible to us) form.
Invisible and unknowable (known only to the theists). Excellent defense.
So to me, we can conclude the same thing about the orderly universe.
And the old unexplained question - who made God?
Where ever damaged is stopped, resilient Earth bounces right back.
All things have their beginning and all things have their end irrespective of what your 3rd Century book says. If as asteroid does not destroy life on earth, then there is the sun to scorch life on earth in a billion years time when it turns into a 'red dwarf'. Then, there is a collision with Andromeda galaxy on cards in five billion years. Of course, some times stars can blow up at the end of their life cycle (Supernova) or the 'black holes' in their midst may engulf them. Universe is a strange and savage place. Of course, God too can send another flood if he is too displeased with things.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware there's no objective test that can distinguish the 'spiritual' from the 'imaginary'. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
It is only a question of how many people you can convince of your illusion until it becomes a construct.
Many theists, like @URAVIP2ME, are ready to admit that gods aren't real. And they are still in the majority (worldwide) so "god" (without any description) can be said to be a construct - until you start asking about its properties.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, I know I can never make you agree. Sancho Panza told Don Quixote many times that what he sees as giants are wind mills, but the Don will never agree to it. :D

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is only a question of how many people you can convince of your illusion until it becomes a construct.
Many theists, like @URAVIP2ME, are ready to admit that gods aren't real. And they are still in the majority (worldwide) so "god" (without any description) can be said to be a construct - until you start asking about its properties.
Interesting. I didn't understand him to say that God wasn't real, but I may have missed it.

That seems to mean that God (and gods) exist only as an idea that groups of people may find convenient ─ which makes sense, though I'm not aware of any religion that states outright that its god is purely imaginary, simply aspirational or symbolic, and nothing more.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Interesting. I didn't understand him to say that God wasn't real, but I may have missed it.
What is God?
That seems to mean that God (and gods) exist only as an idea that groups of people may find convenient ─ which makes sense, though I'm not aware of any religion that states outright that its god is purely imaginary, simply aspirational or symbolic, and nothing more.
It is a logical consequence from the fact that there is no physical evidence. Not all theists ignore all evidence (or the lack thereof) and construct a purely "spiritual" theology. Most fail at that as they also like to have magic (which then implies a physical god) but some have a very sophisticated image of god.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is God?

It is a logical consequence from the fact that there is no physical evidence. Not all theists ignore all evidence (or the lack thereof) and construct a purely "spiritual" theology. Most fail at that as they also like to have magic (which then implies a physical god) but some have a very sophisticated image of god.
Thanks. The personal, conscious and informed desire for an avowedly imaginary being, an identified social construct, is not something I can readily grasp except in play.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Invisible and unknowable (known only to the theists). Excellent defense.And the old unexplained question - who made God?All things have their beginning and all things have their end irrespective of what your 3rd Century book says. If as asteroid does not destroy life on earth, then there is the sun to scorch life on earth in a billion years time when it turns into a 'red dwarf'. Then, there is a collision with Andromeda galaxy on cards in five billion years. Of course, some times stars can blow up at the end of their life cycle (Supernova) or the 'black holes' in their midst may engulf them. Universe is a strange and savage place. Of course, God too can send another flood if he is too displeased with things............
After a rain look for a rainbow. A rainbow because a rainbow is God's promise to never flood Earth again - Genesis 9:13-17
( Also, in Scripture fire often stands for Not a literal fire, but simply stands for destruction )
A ' red dwarf ' for earth's sun is today's ' known science ', but science does Not know what God has in store.
During Jesus' 1,000-year reign over Earth new scrolls (books) will be opened, then mankind will know more about how God will fulfill His words that Earth abides forever - Psalms 104:5; Ecclesiastes 1:4 b.
Many see the Universe as a strange an savage place yet new-star nurseries are also existing in the Universe.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Properties: Power/ Strength (Isaiah 40:26) God's abundant Power and Strength, His dynamic Energy used to create.
God "IS" love. God has Power, God has Strength, God has Wisdom, God has Mercy, but God "IS" love.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Invisible and unknowable (known only to the theists). Excellent defense.And the old unexplained question - who made God? All things have their beginning and all things have their end ............

In Scripture the word ' Being ' in the deepest sense only refers to God.
So, quite yes, all thing can have beginnings and their end except for God.
God is singular as Creator, so nothing created the Creator.
Just as we can count both forwards and backwards forever and ever and reach no ending point.
So, how does counting have a beginning or have an ending ____________
God aka Creator chose that righteous creation can be granted everlasting life.
Notice Jesus spoke of ' everlasting life '. Life such as what what offered to Adam before his downfall.
Adam could live forever only 'if' he kept God's Law.
Since we are innocent of what father Adam did is why the majority of mankind is offered everlasting life (Not immortal life) as long as one chooses to act responsibly toward God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Interesting. I didn't understand him to say that God wasn't real, but I may have missed it................
There are MANY gods and MANY lords but to a Christian there is only one God.
Some people look in their mirror and see their 'god'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
After a rain look for a rainbow. A rainbow because a rainbow is God's promise to never flood Earth again - Genesis 9:13-17
( Also, in Scripture fire often stands for Not a literal fire, but simply stands for destruction )
A ' red dwarf ' for earth's sun is today's ' known science ', but science does Not know what God has in store.
During Jesus' 1,000-year reign over Earth new scrolls (books) will be opened, then mankind will know more about how God will fulfill His words that Earth abides forever - Psalms 104:5; Ecclesiastes 1:4 b.
Many see the Universe as a strange an savage place yet new-star nurseries are also existing in the Universe.
He did not flood the earth even once. Floods are a local phenomenon.
Science has put God in the store.
Keep waiting, Jesus (if he ever existed in the first place) is not going to come back.
Nurseries and grave yards (black-holes) make the universe a strange and savage place. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God is singular as Creator, so nothing created the Creator.
God aka Creator chose that righteous creation can be granted everlasting life.
Notice Jesus spoke of ' everlasting life '. Life such as what what offered to Adam before his downfall. Adam could live forever only 'if' he kept God's Law.
Since we are innocent of what father Adam did is why the majority of mankind is offered everlasting life (Not immortal life) as long as one chooses to act responsibly toward God.
Ah, now I understand. 'Nothing' created God. He is 'ex-nhilo'. Science also postulates that the universe is 'ex-nihilo'.
Some he kills even in the womb or in childhood.
Adam: Y-Chromosomal Adam also had his ancestors who were not fully human. That any God created Adam is false according to science.
You have just so many decades of life. Nobody gets everlasting life, not even as disintegrated bones.

men.jpg

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are MANY gods and MANY lords but to a Christian there is only one God.
Some people look in their mirror and see their 'god'.
Alas, not only don't I know what a real god, a god with objective existence, is, but no one will tell me.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Alas, not only don't I know what a real god, a god with objective existence, is, but no one will tell me.
Jesus is the one I find who will tell you.
Jesus teaches that his God's objective is: Everlasting Life.
God offered Adam everlasting life on Earth in a beautiful paradisical Garden of Eden forever and ever.
Because we are innocent of what father Adam lost for us is why God made provision for us through Jesus.
We can gain that 'original forever objective existence' that was offered to Adam by choosing God as Sovereign.
The passing of time has allowed for us to be born. The passing of time allows for the 'sin issue' to be settled.
Sinner Satan's challenge, as the man Job was challenged, we would Not serve God under adverse conditions.
God's objective in Genesis was that Earth be populated ( Not overpopulated, Not over full ) Genesis 1:28
So, before we see the return of beautiful paradisical conditions on Earth, people will be born and choose if they want to be part of God's objective, His reward to live forever on Earth when 'enemy death' will be No more on Earth.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Ah, now I understand. 'Nothing' created God. He is 'ex-nhilo'. Science also postulates that the universe is 'ex-nihilo'. Some he kills even in the womb or in childhood.
Adam: Y-Chromosomal Adam also had his ancestors who were not fully human. That any God created Adam is false according to science. You have just so many decades of life. Nobody gets everlasting life, not even as disintegrated bones.
Of course, there are un-known answers for many things, but according to Genesis Adam had No ancestors.
Fully human Adam was 'formed or fashioned' from the dust of earth's ground and returned there - Genesis 2:7; Genesis 3:19.
Because father Adam lost everlasting life for us is why we don't have everlasting life today.
That does Not mean God has abandoned his objective purpose to have Earth inhabited by us - Isaiah 45:18
The passing of time has allowed for us to be born otherwise we would have No opportunity for eternal life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............Science has put God in the store.
Keep waiting, Jesus (if he ever existed in the first place) is not going to come back...........

Even Jesus said to keep waiting at Mark 13:33-37 by being watchful, keep awake! be on the alert !
Also, we are to ' Watch Out ' according to 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3.
Sinner Satan's today's system we find more and more is fighting against itself.
Jesus does Not come back, so to speak, until the last days of badness on Earth is completed - 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13.
Coupled with that, Jesus does Not come back until the good news of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) is completed on an international scope or scale at written at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 as it is now being internationally done today.
Following the announcement found at 1st Thess 5 of saying, " Peace and Security..." by the powers in charge is going to prove to be Not peaceful because the political will move against the religious world ( starting with 'Christendom' aka so-called Christian but mostly in name only ).
That will be a surprise to most people because often religion assists the political.
( For example: during wars clergy have used the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War as if that is the same thing as the Altar of God which it is Not ).
Religion also has tried to interfere with the political in trying to throne or dethrone people.
Terrorism backed by religion gives the political reason to turn on her.
A bad economy can make the monies the religions have amassed look like easy taking by the political.
Easy taking even through the banking system.
The United Nations can easily see a hauntingly dangerous religious system brewing and with backing the UN can be strengthened to become God's Arm of the Law to do away with corrupted religions.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus is the one I find who will tell you.
Jesus teaches that his God's objective is: Everlasting Life.
I apologize if I was unclear ─ by 'objective existence' I meant existing in the world external to the self, which we perceive with our senses ─ 'nature' is another name for it.

If God is real then God is real in that sense, since that's what 'real' means.