• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is inaccurate with those communities who bring offerings to a sculpture?

sovietchild

Vanakkam

Well, to be honest one day I woke up and I was super bored. So I wondered: "mmmh, I should to something to upset SovietChild So He can make another thread about it"
So I offered apples to an elephant statue.
And then I had an evil laugh like "bwahahaha this sure going to upset Sovietchild ! Am soooo clever!"

Then I made kompot with the apples ans sent with my day.

Then I saw sovietchild made a thread about this and now this kompot tastes like victory.

Aum Namah shivaya

Really? How much do you think of me? and why?

sovietchild

You've been told this several times, but you apparently need to be told again.

The offerings are not being given to statutes.

Read this over and over until you accept it for the fact that it is, pal.

Actually, they directly give offerings (energy) to a sculpture.

Am I correct?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, they directly give offerings (energy) to a sculpture.

Am I correct?

No. That's what many folks have been trying to tell you.

I understand that some other religious traditions believe all gods besides theirs are "false" so from their point of view the offerings are being given to "just a statue."

What we're trying to get across is that this is not the perspective of the people practicing those religions. To us, we are not giving offerings to "just a statue" because our gods are not "false" gods like they might be to you. In other words, if someone burns incense before a portrait of a particular deity, the offering is being made to that deity.

sovietchild

No. That's what many folks have been trying to tell you.

I understand that some other religious traditions believe all gods besides theirs are "false" so from their point of view the offerings are being given to "just a statue."

What we're trying to get across is that this is not the perspective of the people practicing those religions. To us, we are not giving offerings to "just a statue" because our gods are not "false" gods like they might be to you. In other words, if someone burns incense before a portrait of a particular deity, the offering is being made to that deity.

I wonder if you guys are bluffing, you know, playing stupid, because playing stupid sometimes wins.

sovietchild

No. We're attempting (and apparently failing) to teach you something about other people's traditions. Alas, as someone remarked, you can lead a horse to water, but...

You know that topic you made about fairy tales? Do you actually believe in them or are you bluffing?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You know that topic you made about fairy tales? Do you actually believe in them or are you bluffing?

I don't recall making such a topic. Nor am I confident about what you mean by "actually believe in them," but "fairy tales" as commonly understood (e.g., Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Bluebeard) are not part of my traditions. :shrug:

buddhist

God is The Guide.
We prefer to see the Buddha-Dhamma as The Highest Guide: :D

800px-Buddhist_monk_in_Buddhist_church.jpg

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
LOL. Worshipping a direction then.

No, it's all about organizing it.

You can never understand it, the unity, the modesty that all people from all over the world feel
when they're wearing the same uniform, from the west and from the east, black and white,
men and women, all are walking together and directing their faces to the only one God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You can never understand it,

As is the case for anybody who makes threads that are critical of anyone or any concept they don't understand, and as a consequence disagree with, and say so with disrespectful condescending tones. The fact of the matter is there are around 7 billion people on this planet, and until we start respecting and not criticizing other points of view, the wars and the hatred will continue.

Having been on pilgrimage to some of Hinduism's greatest temples, having dropped everything worldly for 2 or 3 weeks, I feel I do understand the spirit of pilgrimage. There is something bonding with like minded individuals about it.

Edited: It is too bad people die on this pilgrimage 2015 Mina stampede - Wikipedia

Last edited: