• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those people who drink alcohol?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Bands of drunken Japanese soldiers roamed the city, murdering, raping, looting, and burning at whim. Chinese civilians who were stopped on the street, and found to possess nothing of value, were immediately killed. At least twenty thousand Chinese women were raped in Nanking during the first four weeks of the Japanese occupation, and many were mutilated and killed when the Japanese troops were finished with them.

THE RAPE OF NANKING (1937) OR NANJING MASSACRE

Some guy at the gym tolled me that drunk Japanese soldiers were betting on who can kill more.

You don't think systematic dehumanization of the enemy had a wee little something to do with this? Honestly, this thread appears to take 1 and 1 and come up with the Theory of Relativity.

Kirran

Premium Member
*shrugs*
There are plenty of worse things you can do to your kids than responsibly drink alchohol around them.

No arguments there.

But on the responsible note, it can sneak up on you. My mother never decided to have a bad relationship with alcohol.

By now nobody in my immediate family drinks.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The obvious inaccuracy of these numbers you've conjured up aside, not a single human being has ever been killed "by religion".
Really, so no church has ever killed anyone for no other reason than that they did not believe correctly (i.e. heresy)? Are you quite sure? Think Giordano Bruno, just for example, and go from there.

Bruno was an Italian Dominican friar, philosopher, mathematician, poet, and cosmological theorist, who conceptually extended the then-novel Copernican model. He proposed that the stars were just distant suns surrounded by their own exoplanets and raised the possibility that these planets could even foster life of their own (a philosophical position known as cosmic pluralism). He also insisted that the universe is in fact infinite and could have no celestial body at its "center". Not only that, but he was correct.

Beginning in 1593, Bruno was tried for heresy by the Roman Inquisition on charges including denial of several core Catholic doctrines, including eternal damnation, the Trinity, the divinity of Christ, the virginity of Mary, and transubstantiation. Bruno's pantheism was also a matter of grave concern. The Inquisition found him guilty, and he was burned at the stake in Rome's Campo de' Fiori in 1600. In other words, Bruno was killed over religious beliefs.

We humans have a strong tendency to act on our beliefs. Not all beliefs are religious, but neither are all beliefs necessarily justifiable or true and yet they still inform our actions.

It has always been my view (and not everybody agrees, of course) that when we justify killing in the name of one belief or another (Christianity, Communism, Nazism, Fascism, Islam, race, etc.) then those killings deserve to recognized as having been caused by those beliefs – beliefs which informed the actions of those who took them.

IndigoStorm

Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

(edit:In USA)
• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics

sovietchild

Really, so no church has ever killed anyone for no other reason than that they did not believe correctly (i.e. heresy)? Are you quite sure? Think Giordano Bruno, just for example, and go from there.

Bruno was an Italian Dominican friar, philosopher, mathematician, poet, and cosmological theorist, who conceptually extended the then-novel Copernican model. He proposed that the stars were just distant suns surrounded by their own exoplanets and raised the possibility that these planets could even foster life of their own (a philosophical position known as cosmic pluralism). He also insisted that the universe is in fact infinite and could have no celestial body at its "center". Not only that, but he was correct.

Beginning in 1593, Bruno was tried for heresy by the Roman Inquisition on charges including denial of several core Catholic doctrines, including eternal damnation, the Trinity, the divinity of Christ, the virginity of Mary, and transubstantiation. Bruno's pantheism was also a matter of grave concern. The Inquisition found him guilty, and he was burned at the stake in Rome's Campo de' Fiori in 1600. In other words, Bruno was killed over religious beliefs.

We humans have a strong tendency to act on our beliefs. Not all beliefs are religious, but neither are all beliefs necessarily justifiable or true and yet they still inform our actions.

It has always been my view (and not everybody agrees, of course) that when we justify killing in the name of one belief or another (Christianity, Communism, Nazism, Fascism, Islam, race, etc.) then those killings deserve to recognized as having been caused by those beliefs – beliefs which informed the actions of those who took them.

Can we chat about that 500,000 death in Iraq war you posted few pages down? How is that a religious war?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Can we chat about that 500,000 death in Iraq war? How is that a religious war?

It was a sectarian war between Sunni & Shia Muslims that raged for years - where were you when this was going on? The conflict also targeted Iraq's Christian population to an extent they're pretty much all gone now - dead or fled the country.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Really, so no church has ever killed anyone for no other reason than that they did not believe correctly (i.e. heresy)?

Religion does not kill people. People kill people. A religion is a belief system, not some entity capable of killing. Humans who kill choose to kill, or instinctively kill, or accidentally kill, but however influenced or compelled by religion they may be, it is the human(s) who kill(s), not the religion.

People are individually and collectively responsible for their own choices and actions no matter what their religious beliefs are.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Religion does not kill people. People kill people. A religion is a belief system, not some entity capable of killing. Humans who kill choose to kill, or instinctively kill, or accidentally kill, but however influenced or compelled by religion they may be, it is the human(s) who kill(s), not the religion.

People are individually and collectively responsible for their own choices and actions no matter what their religious beliefs are.
Then you do not believe that medicine cures people, either. They take their medicine because the believe it will help them, but you are saying that they cure themselves. Or people cure themselves by engaging a surgeon, who one must presume is a mere tool in their self-help project.

This is purest sophistry.

I maintain again that as our beliefs inform our actions, we are right to suppose that those beliefs, left unexamined, are themselves playing a part. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Then you do not believe that medicine cures people, either. They take their medicine because the believe it will help them, but you are saying that they cure themselves. Or people cure themselves by engaging a surgeon, who one must presume is a mere tool in their self-help project.
What a ridiculous comparison. Your allegations that I have said things I never said and believe things that I do not believe are equally ridiculous.

The sun can kill you. A viper can kill you. A volcanic eruption can kill you.

A religion is not going to kill you. Another person might kill you, or a group of people might kill you. You might kill yourself. In the end, you are all responsible for your own choices and actions, no matter what your religious beliefs are.

Last edited by a moderator:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No arguments there.

But on the responsible note, it can sneak up on you. My mother never decided to have a bad relationship with alcohol.

By now nobody in my immediate family drinks.

It can. But having daughters, I spend a lot more time focusing on things like body image and self esteem, which don't tend to come naturally for me.
In terms of alchohol, my personal position has always been that you choose to drink, you choose to accept the consequences and responsibility for whatever happens after that point. I find the notion of 'impaired responsiblity' completely counter-productive.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Whilst I completely agree with your last sentence, are you really suggesting that religion has absolutely no impact on how people think or act?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
What a ridiculous comparison. Your allegations that I have said things I never said and believe things that I do not believe are equally ridiculous.

The sun can kill you. A viper can kill you. A volcanic eruption can kill you.

A religion is not going to kill you. Another person might kill you, or a group of people might kill you. You might kill yourself. In the end, you are all responsible for your own choices and actions, no matter what your religious beliefs are.
This is extremely difficult, but you have just described a number of "natural things" or "natural events" that can kill. They do so for no reason at all, other than that they follow the nature of whatever it is: sun, viper, earthquake, tsunami, etc..

But you dismiss the notion that the human is just another part of nature, driven by whatever natural forces are at play -- and that some of those natural forces include belief.

If you can't make that connection, you can't understand what I'm talking about. I can point you to philosophers who can help you understand (E.O Wilson, David Hume, Prof. Jacob Needleman, Dr. Robert Buckman -- the latter a friend of mine until his death just a few years ago). But until you can understand something about human nature, as those philosophers have made abundantly clear, you and I are not going to have much luck communicating.

Kirran

Premium Member
It can. But having daughters, I spend a lot more time focusing on things like body image and self esteem, which don't tend to come naturally for me.
In terms of alchohol, my personal position has always been that you choose to drink, you choose to accept the consequences and responsibility for whatever happens after that point. I find the notion of 'impaired responsiblity' completely counter-productive.

Yeah, I'm with you. If I ever have kids and am bad at parenting, I'll hand them over to you.