• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those people who drink alcohol?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Haha, I started off drinking cheap ciders. Strongbow was a good staple when I was 14-15. Never picked up anything from my parents' drinking habits, if I'm honest haha
At least strongbow doesn't taste like puke lol! It's one of those things where you look back and are like, how did my stomach not absolutely reject it? lol
I think I did, at least during my teen years. I looked up to my dad immensely and I wanted to fit in with him and his pals. Well he had 60 years drinking experience and was teaching his friends lol. So I wanted to drink like they did, but they never let me have anything more than a few sips. Very crushing to younger me lol

Kirran

Premium Member
At least strongbow doesn't taste like puke lol! It's one of those things where you look back and are like, how did my stomach not absolutely reject it? lol

It's pretty bad once your taste buds develop a little more!

In my first year at uni, a place over the road did two bottles of wine for a fiver. You can imagine the quality of the wine. That would be predrinks.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It's pretty bad once your taste buds develop a little more!

In my first year at uni, a place over the road did two bottles of wine for a fiver. You can imagine the quality of the wine. That would be predrinks.
Oh 5 buck wines! Ouch! That'll line ya stomach lol
I've moved onto spirits myself. Much prefer a nice slosh of brandy with lemonade or some form of bourbon and coke. Not terribly expensive to buy for myself, but when your "uncles" often drink the bottle on ya every time they visit, it can rack up the bill a bit.:confused::mad::D

Kirran

Premium Member
Oh 5 buck wines! Ouch! That'll line ya stomach lol
I've moved onto spirits myself. Much prefer a nice slosh of brandy with lemonade or some form of bourbon and coke. Not terribly expensive to buy for myself, but when your "uncles" often drink the bottle on ya every time they visit, it can rack up the bill a bit.:confused::mad::D

I roamed into stuff like that, vodka and coke and whatever, but basically settled on just beer as my drink of choice.

Hahaha, I'm glad I don't have "uncles" ;)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I roamed into stuff like that, vodka and coke and whatever, but basically settled on just beer as my drink of choice.

Hahaha, I'm glad I don't have "uncles" ;)
Never got into beer, which is almost akin to blasphemy in Australia! :eek:
But I've heard good things about various European varieties.

Uncles are an annoyance to be sure. I hate to admit it but they've influenced me in way too many ways lol

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The US tried banning alcohol from 1920 to 1933 with a Constitutional amendment, of all things (that's not what the Constitution is for). It was called Prohibition. It was a dismal failure, because people got their hands on alcohol and drank anyway, bootleggers made huge $$ and NASCAR was born (really, running moonshine was the beginning of NASCAR). Prohibition was later repealed by another Constitutional amendment.

Not to mention the violence from organized crime that surrounded the black market.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In Islam drinking was forbidden for many reasons and one of the reason is murder. People would get drunk and start killing each other.

Islamic societies must really struggle with self-control if they require so much to be banned and censored just to prevent them from (further) regressing into savagery.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
"The problem" with people who drink alcohol is that they live in a free country where they're allowed to make their own decisions and have their own desires, vices, needs, etc, without religious people oppressing them. Poor them. What a problem to have. Living free instead of slavery under a religious system.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
According to statistics Christian countries are twice higher in crime rate.
Tell that to Iceland, Luxenburg and Switzerland then. Japan has a relatively low crime rate as well. A lot of the secular nations in Europe seem to enjoy more security on average and consistently kick everyone's asses in Education and welfare. Seems to me there's way more to this stats thing than just religion or alcohol

GoodbyeDave

According to statistics Christian countries are twice higher in crime rate.
According to the UN, the murder rate per 100,000 people is
Japan 0.3
China 0.8
UK 0.9
Australia 1.0
but
Egypt 3.4
Turkey 4.3
Pakistan 7.7
Iraq 8.0

Pagans and Christians seem to be far less murderous!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I drink, so what? It's even been awhile since I've been drunk, even though I've definitely had some drinks since then. Good, healthy, moderated alcohol.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Surveys of people incarcerated for violent crimes indicate that about 40 percent had been drinking at the time they committed these offenses.

Alcohol linked to more homicides in US than any other substance

AR-140829973.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667
The majority of the homicides were done by people who were not drunk or had used cocaine (the far left bar), so does it mean that not drinking is more dangerous than drinking?

The problem here with these graphs is that it only show a correlation, not a causation.

V lad i mir

Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

(edit:In USA)
• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics
how many people die by tobacco smoking related disease? if government want to stop it, the are suppose to make a huge anti alcohol and anti tobacco education and tv clips. but this is a big business. those who make billions out of it will not let it happened.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

(edit:In USA)
• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics

I will preface what I'm about to say with: I drink. I drive. I do not mix the two activities.

What is incorrect with people who drink alcohol varies. Dependency can range from depression to family history to high stress environments to early age drinking. Others drink socially. Yet there are others who simply like the taste and the feeling of a cool buzz.

However, none of these excuse the behavior of getting behind the wheel after drinking. It is flat out irresponsible. The US has strict laws against drinking and driving, and those who are found guilty are prosecuted (though I'm of the opinions that the penalties are not severe enough).

I am not convinced that banning alcohol will remedy the issues with drunk driving. People will get their hands on it one way or another. Marijuana was an illegal substance for years, and during this time it was highly obtainable by most.

sovietchild

Bands of drunken Japanese soldiers roamed the city, murdering, raping, looting, and burning at whim. Chinese civilians who were stopped on the street, and found to possess nothing of value, were immediately killed. At least twenty thousand Chinese women were raped in Nanking during the first four weeks of the Japanese occupation, and many were mutilated and killed when the Japanese troops were finished with them.

THE RAPE OF NANKING (1937) OR NANJING MASSACRE

Some guy at the gym tolled me that drunk Japanese soldiers were betting on who can kill more.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Bands of drunken Japanese soldiers roamed the city, murdering, raping, looting, and burning at whim. Chinese civilians who were stopped on the street, and found to possess nothing of value, were immediately killed. At least twenty thousand Chinese women were raped in Nanking during the first four weeks of the Japanese occupation, and many were mutilated and killed when the Japanese troops were finished with them.

THE RAPE OF NANKING (1937) OR NANJING MASSACRE

Some guy at the gym tolled me that drunk Japanese soldiers were betting on who can kill more.
80 years ago. One band. One time. Compared to billions of people having been drunk since and not gone pillaging and murdering after. Anecdotal stories don't prove the larger issues. If alcohol causes people to go and rape and murder, how come we don't see it everyday, everywhere. For instance in my neighborhood. I've been drunk. My kids (who are grown up) have been drunk. My wife. Friends. Neighboors. But not a single time in all these years have anyone of us don't anything illegal or even harmful. No one has hit anyone. No one has shot anyone. The worst anyone has done is perhaps said things they shouldn't have, and that's about it! So a single incident 80 years ago in China doesn't prove that being drunk is such a menace to society everywhere and at all times.