• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those people who drink alcohol?

gnomon

Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

I'm going to be fair.

You have to do a much better job in presenting evidence.

Because the opening line of your thread is absolutely ridiculous.

Shad

Veteran Member
Surveys of people incarcerated for violent crimes indicate that about 40 percent had been drinking at the time they committed these offenses.

Alcohol linked to more homicides in US than any other substance

AR-140829973.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Learn to read a graph. Do you notice that 56% of homicides are unrelated to any substance.....

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Trust me. I know this all too well. Try taking the car keys from a child who insists they are safe to go. If people are about to do really stupid things within their family, often booze is involved. Personally, I'm an abstainer, but that was not always the case. I get absolutely ridiculous hangovers. The last time was maybe 30 years back. I went out after school on Friday with some staff members to celebrate something, and I barely made it to work on Monday. ot one day of puking, but two. That was the last straw.
I've drunk almost an entire large bottle of Bacardi dark rum and didn't throw up, pass out or black out. It's all about your personal tolerance and knowing your limits.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm going to be fair.

You have to do a much better job in presenting evidence.

Because the opening line of your thread is absolutely ridiculous.
Do you have something against breaded murderer? You'd be surprised - the bread crumbs keep the murderer- schnitzel nice and juicy if you put a nice coating of egg.

Kirran

Premium Member
I think it's more complicated. Yes society largely encourages habitual alcohol consumption, but at the same time the treatment of mental woes is largely ignored. Things like depression, post partum depression and especially men with depression is not always taken seriously or even talked about openly. We are better than previous generations and in some ways worse. Those who use alcohol as a crutch will obviously have problems with alcohol. Those who self medicate with alcohol will obviously have problems with alcohol.
Instead of blaming society's treatment of alcohol or even alcohol itself perhaps it's better to analyse why people drink habitually what lead them to that in the first place and what can be done about it. People with addictive personalities will have a problem with really any substance. Blaming alcohol is too simplistic. I know plenty of functioning alcoholics without it destroying themselves or anyone else. I know pot smokers who are perfectly well adjusted productive members of society.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's the lone factor by any means. But it worsens things, I think.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's the lone factor by any means. But it worsens things, I think.
I think it's just the easiest crutch around. Drugs usually have to be done through a hookup but alcohol can be bought almost everywhere. Many restaurants have them (especially Mexican) many supermarkets have them either in the store itself or own a few booze shops around their area etc,

Kirran

Premium Member
I think it's just the easiest crutch around. Drugs usually have to be done through a hookup but alcohol can be bought almost everywhere. Many restaurants have them (especially Mexican) many supermarkets have them either in the store itself or own a few booze shops around their area etc,

Makes sense, yeah. There has to be an opening for it to get in and be doing damage, so to speak, but once it's in there it starts making that opening bigger. For example, within my own immediate family there were people obviously needing something to come to alcohol, but if that hadn't been there I think they would have got over it and not got into that negative spiral.

sovietchild

While I agree that accidents involving alcohol are reprehensible, do not confuse that with "murder." That's a legal definition, and it doesn't fit.

Don't play with statistics -- you can only go wrong. Unless you can find a causative correlation, it's just a silly game, and almost always unrevealing of anything we can learn from.

And about one person dies every 4 seconds due to starvation -- 450 times as many as die by drunk driving. Care to make a point about that?

And what has religion killed?
  • The Crusades: 6,000,000
  • Thirty Years War: 11,500,000
  • French Wars of Religion: 4,000,000
  • Second Sudanese Civil War: 2,000,000
  • Lebanese Civil War: 250,000
  • Muslim Conquests of India: 80,000,000
  • Congolese Genocide (King Leopold II): 13,000,000
  • Armenian Genocide: 1,500,000
  • Rwandan Genocide: 800,000
  • Eighty Years' War: 1,000,000
  • Nigerian Civil War: 1,000,000
  • Great Peasants' Revolt: 250,000
  • First Sudanese Civil War: 1,000,000
  • Jewish Diaspora (Not Including the Holocaust): 1,000,000
  • The Holocaust (Jewish and Homosexual Deaths): 6,500,000
  • Islamic Terrorism Since 2000: 150,000
  • Iraq War: 500,000
  • US Western Expansion (Justified by "Manifest Destiny"):20,000,000
  • Atlantic Slave Trade (Justified by Christianity): 14,000,000
  • Aztec Human Sacrifice: 80,000
  • AIDS deaths in Africa largely due to opposition to condoms: 30,000,000
  • Spanish Inquisition: 5,000
  • TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion.
Maybe we should keep booze and get rid of religion, eh?

Humans are a factor in 100% of all traffic fatalities. Solution?

Every other second, a person dies of starvation. Solve it by banning something, if you can.

I made a mistake 16K is only from USA. It's probably in millions world wide.

Kirran

Premium Member
I made a mistake 16K is only from USA. It's probably in millions world wide.

This is very poor mathematics. If we assume that the USA's rate is average:

The USA's population is 4.3% of the world's. So extrapolating out we get a global number of 371,276.

SkepticX

Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

(edit:In USA)

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics
I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, both regarding terrorist attacks and drunk driving, but drinking is not getting drunk, and getting drunk is not drinking and driving. It doesn't help to conflate things, and when making a solid point it's completely unnecessary.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think the alcohol companies rejoice at the message 'Don't drink and drive'. Psychologically, it has the hidden message that its fine to get blasted just so long as you don't drive. Nobody says 'Don't drink' by itself, and the boozemakers love it. Why not, 'Don't drink and make an *** of yourself.' or 'Don't drink and waste food money' or 'Don't drink and go home to beat your spouse.'

(edit:In USA)

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics

Nothing is wrong with such societies.
Where there are rights - there will be those who abuse those rights.

sovietchild

This is very poor mathematics. If we assume that the USA's rate is average:

The USA's population is 4.3% of the world's. So extrapolating out we get a global number of 371,276.

According to your theory 4.3% of total population is 371,276,000.

arthra

Baha'i
Drinking alcohol is forbidden for Bahá'ís. The only circumstance where it might be approved is if alcohol was approved as a part of a medication by a doctor... in my personal life I've seen alcohol abused by some family members and am in favor that more alcoholic rehab services be available also more laws are needed to restrict alcohol use.. such as allowing alcohol to be sold where gasoline is sold or dispensed.