• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Islamophobia?

Is Islamophobia a meaningful term?

• Yes, it refers to anti-Muslim animus

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Yes, it refers to criticism of Islam

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • No, it refers to criticism of Islam

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No, it is a politicized term that is too broad or vague

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

gsa

We hear many references to "Islamophobia" online, in the news and in popular discourse generally. Some people claim that films like "American Sniper" are Islamophopbic:

Speaking about the rise of anti-Arab sentiment in the US since the controversy surrounding the Ground Zero mosque in 2010, Mr Ayoub called the release of American Sniper “the turning point”.

“It may not be directly linked to the film, but the overall way that Islamophobia and anti-Arab sentiment are moving in this country is portrayed in the words of those who watched American Sniper.

“The film gave us a look into how these individuals were feeling and for the first time we were getting raw, real messages – and they were frightening.”

Yet the particular complaints about American Sniper seem to have less to do with Islam than depictions of the Iraqi people as a crazed, undifferentiated mass of savages.

So is the complaint about criticism of Islam? Or stereotypes of Muslims? Or what?

The history of the word is interesting as well. The first apparent usage referred to French colonial administrative treatment of Muslim subjects, apparently, although theorist Edward Said, best known for his controversial thesis in the work Orientalism, also ran with it in the 1980s:

Some chart the popularization of the term 'Islamophobia" back to a series of studies in the 1990s by the Runnymede Trust, a left-leaning British think tank. A 1997 reported entitled “Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All” documented “closed” views of Islam in the U.K., including perceptions of the religion as a single bloc that is barbaric, sexist, and engaged in terrorist activities.

But Robin Richardson, who edited the Runnymede report and currently works for the educational consultancy Insted, maintains that the think tank simply borrowed the term from previous usage. In a
recent paper, he traces the phrase to Alain Quellien's use of the French word islamophobie in 1910 to criticize French colonial administrators for their treatment of Muslim subjects.

Richardson claims that post-colonial theorist Edward Said was the first to use the word in English, when he wrote in 1985 about “‘the connection … between Islamophobia and antisemitism’ and criticized writers who do not recognize that ‘hostility to Islam in the modern Christian West has historically gone hand in hand’ with antisemitism and ‘has stemmed from the same source and been nourished at the same stream.’”

Clearly, however, anti-Semitism cannot be reduced to "hostility to Judaism," since anti-Semitism is traditionally a form of "people hatred," as opposed to criticism, even hostility, to the Jewish religion. Similarly, "Islamophobia" is broadly construed to encompass anti-Arab animus, presumably because such animus is attributable to the perception that all Arabs, or at least the vast majority, are Muslim.

But plenty of other people are deemed "Islamophobic," including Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and other critics of Islam. The broad label has even been applied to ex-Muslims, including ex-Muslims who have joined the community of secular freethinkers and are fighting for reform in the Muslim world.

So what is Islamophobia? And is it a meaningful word?

catch22

This, and many other political "phobia" terms are misused and misunderstood. It's irksome, for example, to see "homophobia" identified with someone who simply doesn't agree with or condone that particular political agenda.

It's similar here. Actual phobia involve fear that causes stress, trauma, and anxiety to degrees that can affect ones ability to live a normal life.

People who wanna "kill all dem mooslims" aren't Islamaphobics, they're ethnocentric at best, and hateful bigots at worst.

gsa

This, and many other political "phobia" terms are misused and misunderstood. It's irksome, for example, to see "homophobia" identified with someone who simply doesn't agree with or condone that particular political agenda.

It's similar here. Actual phobia involve fear that causes stress, trauma, and anxiety to degrees that can affect ones ability to live a normal life.

People who wanna "kill all dem mooslims" aren't Islamaphobics, they're ethnocentric at best, and hateful bigots at worst.

Indeed, homophobia, like anti-Semitism, is not a very precise word. "Anti-gay animus" would substitute nicely for people who want to deny LGBT people civil rights, for example. Which is why I try to limit myself to that phrase, i.e., "Most evangelical Christians espouse an anti-gay ideology." They're not necessarily irrationally afraid of homosexuals, even if they hate them or just want to restrict their rights.

I think wanting to kill Muslims is hateful bigotry, full stop.

Deidre

Many people aren’t even utilizing the term ‘’phobia’’ properly these days, let alone Islamophobia, etc…

I mean, a phobia is a deep seated fear of something…that causes extreme anxiety to the point where said person who has such a phobia, goes to great lengths to avoid whatever he/she perceives as the object of their phobia.

If someone actually has a bona fide phobia of all Muslims…they’re nucking futs. Sorry.

gsa

Many people aren’t even utilizing the term ‘’phobia’’ properly these days, let alone Islamophobia, etc…

I mean, a phobia is a deep seated fear of something…that causes extreme anxiety to the point where said person who has such a phobia, goes to great lengths to avoid whatever he/she perceives as the object of their phobia.

If someone actually has a bona fide phobia of all Muslims…they’re nucking futs. Sorry.

The term clearly is not being applied in that way, even by its proponents. And yes I would agree; I don't even know that you could be a functional Islamophobe, using your definition, in my area of the country, unless you were extremely sheltered.

Deidre

The term clearly is not being applied in that way, even by its proponents. And yes I would agree; I don't even know that you could be a functional Islamophobe, using your definition, in my area of the country, unless you were extremely sheltered.

That's why it is a meaningless term. (although divisive)

I wonder if people get offended being called an Islamophobe?

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "Yes, it refers to criticism of Islam", and is a valid concept of a real problem in which Muslims are assumed to be violent or evil because they are not considered part of western societies. 'We' still think of Muslims as "outsiders" who may or may not be a threat.
The problem is distinguishing between legitimate and illegitimate criticism of the Islamic Faith and how far Islam is compatible with liberal and secular societies. It will only become recognized as a 'phobia' once you establish it is an irrational fear without basis in fact and the general level of ignorance concerning of Islam makes it very difficult to sort fact from fiction.

gsa

Voted "Yes, it refers to criticism of Islam", and is a valid concept of a real problem in which Muslims are assumed to be violent or evil because they are not considered part of western societies. 'We' still think of Muslims as "outsiders" who may or may not be a threat.
The problem is distinguishing between legitimate and illegitimate criticism of the Islamic Faith and how far Islam is compatible with liberal and secular societies. It will only become recognized as a 'phobia' once you establish it is an irrational fear without basis in fact and the general level of ignorance concerning of Islam makes it very difficult to sort fact from fiction.

Is that what it means though? If I say that I am opposed to Islam, and that Islam is, in the current era, uniquely bad in doctrine and practice, is that Islamophobic? Because I feel as though there is an underlying assumption here that Muslims are always a bullied minority that not only Muslims but Islam itself must be protected from criticism, however legitimate the criticism might be.

gsa

That's why it is a meaningless term. (although divisive)

I wonder if people get offended being called an Islamophobe?

I don't, but then again I know it is either a) a ridiculous charge or b) a meaningless one. I think that others take it to heart a bit too much.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Some people claim that films like "American Sniper" are Islamophopbic:
Only if they equate Islam with terrorism.
A 1997 reported entitled “Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All” documented “closed” views of Islam in the U.K., including perceptions of the religion as a single bloc that is barbaric, sexist, and engaged in terrorist activities.
This is why Imams need to clarify the meaning of Jihad and focus on explaining the ethical teachings of Islam.
So what is Islamophobia?
It is hatred toward the religious group of Islam. People who criticize the religion are not violent toward the religion. Like how these people are.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Indeed, homophobia, like anti-Semitism, is not a very precise word. "Anti-gay animus" would substitute nicely for people who want to deny LGBT people civil rights, for example. Which is why I try to limit myself to that phrase, i.e., "Most evangelical Christians espouse an anti-gay ideology." They're not necessarily irrationally afraid of homosexuals, even if they hate them or just want to restrict their rights.

I think wanting to kill Muslims is hateful bigotry, full stop.
A phobia by definition is an irrational fear of something. Fear is a component of Islamophobia, just as it is in homophobia, and that fear is irrational. Like worrying you might get AIDS from shaking hands with a gay person. Or that same sex marriage will destroy traditional marriage. Or that gay teachers recruit children. Or that all gays are pedophiles. Things just as ridiculous as that are said about Muslims.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

I think we are talking matters of degree, Diedre. Sure, I am not saying Islamophobes have the same type of feeling I have when I am on top of a tall building but the fear they feel is just as irrational as the fear I feel in that situation.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Is that what it means though? If I say that I am opposed to Islam, and that Islam is, in the current era, uniquely bad in doctrine and practice, is that Islamophobic?
Is how you feel rational and informed? Is it a legitimate response to a real threat? If so, then it's not a phobia.

gsa

Is how you feel rational and informed? Is it a legitimate response to a real threat? If so, then it's not a phobia.

Well I think so, but according to many proponents of the Islamophobia concept, it is insufficiently nuanced, and hence Islamophobic. But to me that is meaningless: Being opposed to Islam (and Christianity) is not itself "phobic," and I am prepared to offer rational reasons why it is uniquely bad in the current era. It is, of course, a generalization, but I cannot even speak of a religion or ideology without having something to generalize.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Seems to be too often a link between doesn't like Islam, really dislikes Islam, etc., and.....the distant - thinks Muslims are all or mostly terrorists, hates Muslims just because they are Muslim, etc.

People love to make it about other people, even when it's about ideology. "Islam is or can be dangerous" gets equated with "he/she thinks all Muslims are dangerous or likely to be!"

A sort of reversed fear-mongering goes into play.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Well I think so, but according to many proponents of the Islamophobia concept, it is insufficiently nuanced, and hence Islamophobic. But to me that is meaningless: Being opposed to Islam (and Christianity) is not itself "phobic," and I am prepared to offer rational reasons why it is uniquely bad in the current era. It is, of course, a generalization, but I cannot even speak of a religion or ideology without having something to generalize.
I couldn't offer an opinion one way or another without knowing more about what you actually oppose and why. I think you have mentioned something like executing people for leaving Islam or for being homosexual. These are things that really do happen and I oppose them as much as you do. But an Islamophobe would say all Muslims believe in that sort of thing and if they deny it they are just lying because their religion promotes such lying.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Right. They reject the label.

Come to think of it, a true Islamophobe (and there are probably very few, perhaps just a few hundred from places such as India, Pakistan and Egypt where they may have been subject to actual Muslim violence or segregation) would hardly few secure in talking about Islam.

The people that are usually accused of Islamophobia should reject the label. It is a loaded, slanderous, meaningless piece of drivel.