• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Islamophobia?

Is Islamophobia a meaningful term?

• Yes, it refers to anti-Muslim animus

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Yes, it refers to criticism of Islam

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • No, it refers to criticism of Islam

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No, it is a politicized term that is too broad or vague

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

nazz

Doubting Thomas
OK, that's enough for tonight. That should keep you Islamophobia deniers busy for a while. I have tons more material like this waiting in the wings.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
More to the point, you seem to be illustrating that what you call Islamophobes are the garden variety sensationalizers with no credibility whatsoever.

Islamophobia = irrational fear/hatred.... Sigh...I'm not disputing it's being misapplied. But just because that happens doesn't mean that in SOME CASES the label is totally appropriate.

The first problem is irrational fear of what? Islam or Muslims? It is an important distinction that is not made by the word. Your examples tend to be fear of Muslims. Phobia also refers to fear rather than hatred, not either.

Anyway, using the word in a similar way to arachnophobia or claustrophobia, seems a bit strange given the context of the usual discourse. It seems excessively limiting and impractical.

However, Islamophobia does not just mean an irrational fear of Islam akin to other phobias. Whatever its original meaning was is unimportant as language evolves. The word enormity for example used to mean 'great evil', now it is usually used to mean 'large in scale'. When a word is misused by enough people, it stops being wrong. The word is redefined to incorporate the new meaning.

Islamophobia now is usually used to mean 'anti-Muslim bigotry', the equivalent of 'racism' against Muslims. But can also be used to mean '(unfair) criticism of Islamic doctrine', 'cultural imperialism' or 'that's an awkward topic I would rather not discuss'.

The word as it now is, is too nebulous to be of practical usage. There is little point in having a theoretical debate about whether or not it is occasionally used 'correctly', the only important thing is how it is usually used.

When discussing emotive topics we need to be as accurate as possible with our language, especially with words that are highly connotative. Language should be used to clarify and enable thinking rather than obscure or disable thinking.

An example:

The word racism has strong connotations. You hear 'racist' and you think KKK, apartheid, Nazis, etc.

Let's say someone uses the word 'coloured' in conversation, not through malice but just because they don't know better.

Many people might say 'that's racist!'. But if you accuse someone of racism they will become defensive and start to argue about how they are not racist. They will get annoyed and you get your point across in a much less effective way. (not to mention that it is probably an incorrect use of the word racism).

If instead you say that such language is outdated or uninformed, instead of being defensive, they will be apologetic.

That is a more effective way to communicate.

I refuse to believe that we cannot be more precise and clarifying with our expression than we are when we use 'Islamophobia'. This is especially true as they are concerted attempts to use the word specifically to disable thinking, just as there are with anti-Semitism. Also there are concerted attempts to nullify the label 'Islamophobia' by anti-Muslim bigots (i.e. of course I'm Islamophobic, who isn't afraid of having their head cut off).

When words become tarnished, we need to replace them if we want to be understood. Using the word Islamophobia benefits no one, except those with vested interests. It gives cover to the bigots on both sides of the debate and obscures and closes the mind rather than enlightening and opening the mind.

Reactions: gsa

Midnight Rain

There is no doubt that Islamaphobia exists. I have seen a huge surge of it within the ignorant population in the US after 2001. Hell Islamaphobia has been used as a pretty easy excuse to do war profiteering for 14 years now. I don't think the case can be made AGAINST the existence. But the vast majority, it seems, of claims of islamaphobia are false. Criticism of Islam is not islamaphobia.

I think in some cases and points it has to make sense. The reason being that Muslims MUST accept Islam in full. There are different interpretations but there has to be an acceptance of the core which is that Islam is perfect. Any criticism of Islam must be because of a misunderstanding or ignorance BECAUSE Islam is perfect. This is the mind of Muslims (and a great many Christians as well). So to some Muslims criticism of Islam and any negative opinion of Islam based on those criticisms would have to be because of ignorance and therefor Islamaphobia.

Simplelogic

Once again. I have already proven on this forum that the term "Islamophobia" was coined by the Muslim brotherhood itself to silence critiques of Islam. Its detailed on post #30.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
More to the point, you seem to be illustrating that what you call Islamophobes are the garden variety sensationalizers with no credibility whatsoever.
Of course they have no credibility to rational people. That is the whole point! But believe me PLENTY of people in my country hang on their every word and repeat these things as gospel truth.

Servant_of_the_One1

Islamophobia is:
They desire to put out the light of Allah with their mouths but Allah will perfect His light, though the unbelievers may be averse. (61:8)

That is because they hated what Allah revealed, so He rendered their deeds null. ( 47: 9)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
There is no doubt that Islamaphobia exists. I have seen a huge surge of it within the ignorant population in the US after 2001. Hell Islamaphobia has been used as a pretty easy excuse to do war profiteering for 14 years now. I don't think the case can be made AGAINST the existence.
A number of people here are trying their darnedest to do just that!

But the vast majority, it seems, of claims of islamaphobia are false. Criticism of Islam is not islamaphobia.
So people keep saying but I personally have not run into that. No one has called me an Islamophobe for criticizing Islam.

I think in some cases and points it has to make sense. The reason being that Muslims MUST accept Islam in full. There are different interpretations but there has to be an acceptance of the core which is that Islam is perfect. Any criticism of Islam must be because of a misunderstanding or ignorance BECAUSE Islam is perfect. This is the mind of Muslims (and a great many Christians as well). So to some Muslims criticism of Islam and any negative opinion of Islam based on those criticisms would have to be because of ignorance and therefor Islamaphobia.
I don't agree. A person can be very well informed about Islam and still criticize it. I am and I do.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Islamophobia is:
They desire to put out the light of Allah with their mouths but Allah will perfect His light, though the unbelievers may be averse. (61:8)

That is because they hated what Allah revealed, so He rendered their deeds null. ( 47: 9)
How do you know? Just because it's written in a book?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
The first problem is irrational fear of what? Islam or Muslims? It is an important distinction that is not made by the word. Your examples tend to be fear of Muslims.
Can you explain why you see this an important distinction?

Phobia also refers to fear rather than hatred, not either.
They often go hand in hand even with classic psychologically defined phobias. My wife suffers from arachnophobia and as a result she HATES spiders.

Anyway, using the word in a similar way to arachnophobia or claustrophobia, seems a bit strange given the context of the usual discourse. It seems excessively limiting and impractical.
It's no stranger than the use of homophobia.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
So are any of the Islamophobia deniers going to say that the material I posted is not Islamophobic? Any of you?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Islamophobia is hating islam, and those who follow it.
It existed in the time of prophet Muhammad pbuh. Islamophobia is clearly mentioned in quran.
You didn't answer my question. I agree, it is mentioned in the Quraan, but that is merely a book. What is YOUR reasoning for believing that islamophobes "hate what Allah revealed?" How could they even know unless they read the Quraan? It just doesn't make any sense and seems to be an outdated passage irrelevent to the issue at hand.