• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is more important for the future well-being of humankind: Faith or Reason?

Faith or Reaon?

• Reason

Votes: 70 90.9%
  • Faith

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
HeadinSand-1.jpg

Is this faith?
Depends on his reason for doing that and what he finds down there, no? :)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It remained the same, did it not? So it is still faith.

We humans being social animals have innate empathy and compassion. Caring for one another is an essential part of our emotional and psychological health and also a survival trait. Doing what's in our nature has nothing to do with faith. There is nothing mysterious or magical about it.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Unless, of course, it's hope for something ordinarily beyond reach .... like the future.

you mean faith bridges the gap between the here and now to the future because the future is unseen...?
hmmm.
but we hope for a future...we just take it for granted that the future will come because of faith.
faith is like waiting for tomorrow...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
you mean faith bridges the gap between the here and now to the future because the future is unseen...?
hmmm.
but we hope for a future...we just take it for granted that the future will come because of faith.
faith is like waiting for tomorrow...
Faith in this context is trusting that tomorrow will fulfill our hopeful expectations, whether those be that tomorrow is better than today, or even just that tomorrow will arrive.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Faith in this context is trusting that tomorrow will fulfill our hopeful expectations, whether those be that tomorrow is better than today, or even just that tomorrow will arrive.

hope is the desire that tomorrow will fulfill our expectations and that tomorrow may hopefully arrive.
otherwise the confidence placed in this trust becomes presumptuous
so does having faith mean being disposed to assumption?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Faith: I know tomorrow will be great.
Reason: I hope tomorrow will be great. It has usually turned out that way.
Revoltifarianism: I just need to get thru today. Tomorrow always takes care of itself.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

waitasec

Veteran Member
because it's the degree of emphasis or level of confidence placed in trust doesn't make it trust anymore, it makes it a presumption

It can. Trust is a predisposition. When I trust that you'll understand, I'm predisposed to the belief that you will.

so what if i don't understand? wouldn't your trust become presumptuous?

it can if we both agree that when it's -10 degrees F outside, it gets pretty nippy. i trust you that'll you understand why i want to wear a jacket based on evidence that we both agree how cold it is outside. would you call that presumptuous? i wouldn't (i don't think, i'm so confused).

all i know is that in a few hours i know i am going to be very full because i have always been very full after a thanksgiving meal, is that presumptuous of me?
but then again, a few hours from now, no one really knows what will happen...;)
so maybe that is being presumptuous...

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Compassion is the same, whether you justify it or not. You can justify it, but it doesn't change anything. Reason is after the fact, not before. Compassion needs no justification. It just is. Explaining it is unnecessary.
That's why it's faith.

Your last sentence is wrong, and I don't see any justification for it in that post.

strikeviperMKII

We humans being social animals have innate empathy and compassion. Caring for one another is an essential part of our emotional and psychological health and also a survival trait. Doing what's in our nature has nothing to do with faith. There is nothing mysterious or magical about it.

Did I say it was mysterious or magical? Stop trying to make faith something it isn't.

Some seem to think that reason should take a backseat to faith. While others seem to believe not only is faith unnecessary but it is detrimental.

So which do you think is more important to humanity and why?

who says faith has to be without reason?:areyoucra