• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is the best movie ever?

Smoke

Done here.
Scorchedposter.jpg

Here's why:

1) Except for John Cleese, everybody in the movie is good looking.
2) Everybody in the movie is funny, especially John Cleese.
3) Great soundtrack.
4) Good dialogue.
5) Woody Harrelson has a pet duck.
6) John Cleese has a vicious little dog.
7) The good guys win.
8) Most of the good guys are bank robbers.

Okay, I don't really think this is the best movie ever. But it's my favorite.

Smoke

Done here.
Has any one seen Wall-E? I love that movie.
I could take it or leave it. I thought it was pointlessly heterocentric to make one robot "male" and the other "female." I realize that's the kind of comment that makes people roll their eyes, but I can't help that.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't that it's really a moral message, but it was the fact that everyone already had what they wanted the Wizard to give them; including Dorothy.
Okay. That works for me. :)

I love the movie, but I always thought Dorothy was an idiot for going back to Kansas.
If you have Netflix, watch Tin Man. Sci-fi re-telling in a three-part miniseries, and better than the 1939 movie.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
what is the best movie and why?

and I know this is a very important topic that alot of you are passionate about but could we please keep the death threats to about two per person?

thanks ;)
There's no such thing as a best movie.

As for my favorite movie, it's tough. I'll probably go with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

-The martial arts choreography is better than I've seen in any other movie. Specifically, the combination of choreographer Yuen Woo-ping (he also choreographed the Matrix and others) and Michelle Yeoh was fantastic. The second fight between Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) and Jen was, by far, my favorite fight scene in any movie. And the first fight between those two was my second favorite fight scene in any movie.

-The romance aspect of the story was hot. I think I liked the movie so much because it interested the side of me that likes good action/adventure movies while simultaneously touching my emotional side as well.

-The cinematography was great. Beautiful scenery is shown throughout the whole movie.

-The story involves strong female characters for a change (along with strong male characters as well).

-The story and acting was decent. I'm picky about a couple of the aspects here, but other than that, I love the movie.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
OK I am going to put Painted Lady and Scorched in my queu FO SHO.

About once every five years or so, my kids and I spend a rainy weekend watching the entire Alien series. LOVE THEM. I love to be deliciously scared!

Two other long, fabulous series to watch over a cold, rainy weekend are "Band of Brothers" and "Lonesome Dove."

Here's one of the alltime best movies I've ever seen, with more twists than "The Usual Suspects." YES, IT'S TRUE. And if you love The Usual Suspects, I think you'll like this one as well. And a good, healthy dose of Ewan McGregor (in his first major film role) never hurt anyone!

IMDb Video: Shallow Grave

Give it a little grace for the first ten minutes. You'll be thinking, "Now why did Kathryn think this was such a great movie..." And then WHAM! Something will happen - something you can't miss - and it's GREAT FUN from that point forward!

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'll have to take your word for it. I've tried to watch it a few times, and I always fall asleep within thirty minutes.
Well, everyone has their own tastes in movies.

I am one of the 5 people in the world who finds The Hudsucker Proxy to be the Coen Bros best movie.
Hudsucker Proxy is my favorite Coen Bros movie. I haven't seen them all, though.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I hated A Serious Man.

Hey, for a cult classic, check out my cousin's movie:
60024537.jpg

Awards1987 Independent Spirit Awards®
What an excellent B/W work of dead-pan, dry-witted cinematic art. You will either hate this film or love it, as it delivers itself like a bottle of whiskey on a table when you're amongst freinds; nobody's going to open your gullet for you and pour it down, but it's their if you want it. Good, down-beat character performances give this flick the feeling of it being the visual equivalent of a good down and out blues song as it rambles out it's story through the smothering, wet Louisiana heat. Had it not been for the appearence of a newer Jaguar and semi-modern police cars, I would never have been able to place a time period on this film and I like that because that's just the way the South is in places. There's no hand-holding and coddling in the direction of this piece in the way of flashy fx or constant barrages of semi-witty patter, and thats just the way it should be. Those who can't take the dead-pan delivery should shy away, but if you like the feeling that a slow, depressing, raspy blues song gives you, then this is your film, it was made for you. (Netflix member review)

Speaking of Roberto Benini, another of my favorites of all time is Life Is Beautiful:

1192333.jpg

In this poignant tragicomedy, a clever Jewish Italian waiter named Guido (Roberto Benigni, who also directs and won an Oscar for his role) is sent to a Nazi concentration camp during World War II, along with his wife (Nicoletta Braschi) and their young son (Giorgio Cantarini). Refusing to give up hope, Guido tries to protect his son's innocence by pretending that their imprisonment is an elaborate game, with the grand prize being a tank.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I agree with the Wizard of Oz, that is a great film!

Most of my top films aren't the ones that made it big, or are considered classics. Sometimes the smaller, lesser know films are so much better.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I love that movie. I always have to watch it alone, because most of the people I know hate it. I can't understand why.

I don't hate it, but I don't get the attraction to it. I've never seen the whole thing in English, though. The only time I watched it all the way through was when I was staying with a family in France.