• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Well, if the term "directional" is subject to personal interpretation, then you cannot objectively say that the interpretation is right or wrong.

An eating utensil (e.g. a fork or spoon) does not have a will. So, are we to conclude that it has not been designed for a specific purpose?
Good point. Let me clarify, the purpose is not with the item being used, it is with the user. A 'spoon' does not have a purpose. I have a purpose 'for a spoon.'

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
But to exercise will is to act according to some telos or final cause.
First let me say I much appreciate the references you provide. It helps me tremendously.

If I understand final cause, then it lies with the user of the spoon as well. The spoon has no purpose, it has no final cause.

I purpose (verb. to have as one's intention) the spoon for the final cause of leaving offspring (moving food to my mouth, to eat, to survive, so that I may mate, and spread my genes).

Gambit

Sure, but the complete lack of evidence and ease with which human claims concerning a divine mind and a divine purpose can be falsified make clinging to such hogwash a highly dubious intellectual undertaking.

That there is something rather than nothing is more than sufficient evidence.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
And you're still not understanding. Either the entire natural process has a purpose (a final cause), or nothing does. IOW, if there is no final cause, then any purposive or goal-directed behavior that human beings appear to exhibit must be deemed purely illusory.

Then it's illusory. Maybe you just like to argue.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
And you're still not understanding. Either the entire natural process has a purpose (a final cause), or nothing does. IOW, if there is no final cause, then any purposive or goal-directed behavior that human beings appear to exhibit must be deemed purely illusory.
Says who?
Based on what?

Gambit

I purpose (verb. to have as one's intention) the spoon for the final cause of leaving offspring (moving food to my mouth, to eat, to survive, so that I may mate, and spread my genes).

But you really can't "purpose" because your worldview doesn't allow for final causation. (The mechanistic worldview of atheistic materialism only allows for efficient causation, not final causation).

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Finally! The

Finally the what? I've said nothing different the whole time. A purpose that we give to our own lives is ultimately illusory, it has no objective meaning. You act like you've made some kind of discovery here.

So what?

Looncall

I just don't get what you are trying to say I'm afraid - 'may be' is perfectly justified when considering possibilities. It is not a 'scam'nor does it 'sneak anything in' - it is my personal view, not a theology or claim I am trying to convince anybody of or claim to have evidence for.

Perhaps this is a question of taste. I prefer to use "what if" or some such for speculation that is not based on facts. "May" implies permission or possibility.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This raises the topic of free will, a related issue, but also a controversial one.

Will need not be free. People like Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King alter the will of many. Provided a purpose to many.

Assuming there is no God, then no purpose. That just means we are free to come up with our own.

Otherwise if you believe in a God you'll have to look to the prophets of that God to provide a purpose, unless you talk to God directly yourself.

The Christian purpose I think can be summed up, is to receive salvation so that when you die you can go to heaven.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So, the purpose of existence is for you to give it a purpose?

I don't think there exists a purpose. However if you want one, you can create one. Otherwise, nothing saying you can't exist without purpose.