• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
If something is known to be possible, but one does not know if it is actually the case, I agree with using "may be". If one does not know if it is possible or not, I don't see that "may be" is justified. That's the sort of scam religions use to sneak in absurdities.
I just don't get what you are trying to say I'm afraid - 'may be' is perfectly justified when considering possibilities. It is not a 'scam'nor does it 'sneak anything in' - it is my personal view, not a theology or claim I am trying to convince anybody of or claim to have evidence for.

Gambit

Natural processes are directional. Direction can be misinterpreted (technically a false interpretation, but useful for discussion) as design and/or purpose.

Well, if the term "directional" is subject to personal interpretation, then you cannot objectively say that the interpretation is right or wrong.

The very concept of 'purpose' is incompatible with objectivity. In order to have purpose, one must have will. To have will, one must have self or other.

An eating utensil (e.g. a fork or spoon) does not have a will. So, are we to conclude that it has not been designed for a specific purpose?

To have will, one must have self or other.

But to exercise will is to act according to some telos or final cause.

Deidre

Why does there need to exist ONE sole purpose for our existence? Every day we're alive...live it to your best. Be kind. Be generous. Be loving. Be better than you were yesterday. Be good to those around you. Be at peace. Figure out what is broken in you, and work to fix it. So, you can help others to fix their broken pieces. Every day is a gift, and the day will find you a purpose.

That's how I see it now, anyhow.

Gambit

I prefer to reflect upon the question... Why am I still alive?

Answer: Because I haven't died yet.

I can't argue with that.

Life is conditioned by the inevitability of death. This creates the context in which I may ask the right questions and find personal meaning in my activities. Is my life worth living as it is? Am I ready to die now? What is the value of my temporary experiences? Can I improve the quality of my experiences? How so? What do I really want to accomplish before I die? How do I want to treat others living in the same context?

Well, you're asking questions that ultimately come down to what is the meaning of life, the purpose of existence.

Deidre

Why do you identify yourself as "seeking?"

I'm a former theist...
Logically, identify as an atheist, however...no one knows for certain if a god exists or does not. I have spiritual leanings, I'd say.

Always 'seeking' to find truth......even if just for me, if that makes sense.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
A greater purpose than our own.
Well of course. My purposes relate to my life and family. I'm sure that there are greater imperatives and purposes than mine.

Why do you ask these questions (something greater than I and so on)? Yes I believe that there are greater minds than mine and higher purposes - are you going somewhere with this?

Gambit

ECCLESIASTES 12 :13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. 14 For the true God will judge every deed, including every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

Gambit

I'm a former theist...
Logically, identify as an atheist, however...no one knows for certain if a god exists or does not. I have spiritual leanings, I'd say.

Always 'seeking' to find truth
......even if just for me, if that makes sense.

Well, that sounds like a purpose to me.

Gambit

Why do you ask these questions (something greater than I and so on)? Yes I believe that there are greater minds than mine and higher purposes - are you going somewhere with this?

Yes, did you ever consider the possibility that there might be a divine mind and a divine purpose?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Yes, did you ever consider the possibility that there might be a divine mind and a divine purpose?
Sure, but the complete lack of evidence and ease with which human claims concerning a divine mind and a divine purpose can be falsified make clinging to such hogwash a highly dubious intellectual undertaking.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Sure, but the complete lack of evidence and ease with which human claims concerning a divine mind and a divine purpose can be falsified make clinging to such hogwash a highly dubious intellectual undertaking.

Indeed, and a proliferation of confirmation bias is undoubtedly a factor.