• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

Gambit

I suspect that most of us super apes who ask what the meaning of life is do so because we do not feel intensely alive. If we felt genuinely alive, the meaning of it all wouldn't interest us.

You're evading the questions.

Gambit

There is no objective meaning to it: it is up to the individual to define/decide if there is any meaning in existence.

Okay. So, does your personal life have a meaning? Does your existence have a purpose? If yes, what is it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

It means whatever you choose it to mean. Its purpose is whatever you decide it should be.

Sometimes someone else will tell you what its meaning to you should be and the purpose you should have. Up to you if you choose to listen to someone else. You don't have to.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
None whatsoever. There is no meaning to life beyond what we give it and the only purpose is to pass along one's genes to the next generation.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suspect that most of us super apes who ask what the meaning of life is do so because we do not feel intensely alive. If we felt genuinely alive, the meaning of it all wouldn't interest us.
Quite true. Of course, there's also the oft quoted dictum (attributed to Socrates) about an unexamined life. Also, I suspect that many of us apes don't ask about the meaning of life because such philosophical questions (like most philosophical questions) never occur to us.

Gambit

None whatsoever. There is no meaning to life beyond what we give it and the only purpose is to pass along one's genes to the next generation.

I find this to be inherently contradictory. The idea that there is no meaning to life beyond what we give it presupposes a purpose in and of itself.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Life as no literal "meaning" but it does have a direction.
The Prime Imperative of life -
1. Survive
2. Breed
3. Contribute
4. Die

Last edited:

Gambit

"Evasion" implies intent. To imply intent is either sloppy or uncharitable, and perhaps intellectually dishonest.

If you want to talk about being uncharitable, then let's talk about your initial post on this thread. You stated: "I suspect that most of us super apes who ask what the meaning of life is do so because we do not feel intensely alive. If we felt genuinely alive, the meaning of it all wouldn't interest us."

The implication is fairly clear; Anyone who questions the meaning of life needs to get a life. And since I am the one who created this thread, I take that slight personally.

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find this to be inherently contradictory. The idea that there is no meaning to life beyond what we give it presupposes a purpose in and of itself.
I found it inherently contradictory because it asserted a purpose after asserting there was no meaning. I am not sure how "no meaning to life beyond what we give it" entails a purpose.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
To live in accordance with the will of God so that we may know him in eternity.

But that presupposes a silly thing called theism.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Our lives can have whatever meaning and purpose we choose, it is something that is not imposed upon us externally - but something that we can explore and define for ourselves.

To my mind, saying that 'there is no meaning or purpose beyond what we define for ourselves' seems an unnecessary reduction. What greater purpose or meaning could there be than to truly explore and define these important qualities yourself?