• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the point of censorship?

PureX

Veteran Member
The point of censorship is control.

Seriously...I have always wondered why a certain political side wants to censor all that they find unsuitable to their agenda. :)
Wow, you should visit the US, where the right is insanely obsessed with everything they deem “unsuitable” to their agenda. (That agenda being total control, of course.)
Honestly...in my dear old Europe I have never seen the right-wing being obsessed with what the leftists say or don't say.
They have never tried to censor their political opponents.
That‘s all they do, here. That and worship the rich. But everyone here worships the rich.
Au contraire...I believe that what the European Left has been doing is desperately trying to censor what the rightists say.
For years.
And yet here you still are. :)
I am happy if others are free to express the ideas I disagree with. If they are interesting, I can reflect about them.
The whole world is concerned only for your happiness.
I believe that the desire of censoring others is symptom of insecurity.
What do you guys think?
:)
I think the vast majority of humans have good reason to feel insecure.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The point of censorship is control.
I don't want to control anyone, indeed. That's why I censor nobody.
Wow, you should visit the US, where the right is insanely obsessed with everything they deem “unsuitable” to their agenda. (That agenda being total control, of course.)
Unfortunately, yes. Regardless of the party.
But the rightists in the EU are 100% tolerant.
The whole world is concerned only for your happiness.
It's a matter of tolerance, I guess.
The intolerant are always dissatisfied with what others say.
I think the vast majority of humans have good reason to feel insecure.
I don't feel insecure, honestly. ;)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, so you are talking about the www (web), people today think of that as "the internet" but the internet is much older and even the idea of free exchange of ideas goes back to 1980 with the introduction of Usenet - Wikipedia. That was the Wild West of the internet.

I remember Usenet. However, I also remember that access to Usenet was part of the standard internet package, but at some point, ISPs started doing away with that and made it into an extra add-on. Discussion groups became more browser-based and easier to control.

Usenet was also prone to a great deal of flooding and spamming that could make some groups unusable. That's the other side of censorship, where people can find less official ways of shutting down someone's view. Free speech in the raw isn't something most people are equipped to handle.

wellwisher

Seriously...I have always wondered why a certain political side wants to censor all that they find unsuitable to their agenda. :)

Honestly...in my dear old Europe I have never seen the right-wing being obsessed with what the leftists say or don't say.
They have never tried to censor their political opponents.

Au contraire...I believe that what the European Left has been doing is desperately trying to censor what the rightists say.
For years.
I am happy if others are free to express the ideas I disagree with. If they are interesting, I can reflect about them.

I believe that the desire of censoring others is symptom of insecurity.
What do you guys think?
:)
Con artists and used car salesmen do not like their game being exposed so they try to control narrative with censorship needed to set the stage for the big lie. Fake news has to lie since it does not have the facts to back up its claims. Pointing out facts can be detrimental to their game.

The follow up question is what type of person cheers on censorship by their leaders? It appears to be those who wish to be lied to, so they can feel good in an alternate reality that can only exist in the vacuum of censorship.

The election of 2024 is coming up and the side that censors the most will be the one you can trust the least.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
What a crock. You can get all the books you want on those topics in the U.S. Indeed they are foisted upon people more than they want. Just look at some of the agenda driven drivel coming out of Disney lately. On the contrary it is the left in the US that are the ones doing censorship. If you don't believe that look at how much leftist censorship there is of social media and search engines.
If the left was really censoring people, then youtubers like Ben Shapiro, Dennis Prager, Candace Owens, Steven Crowder and the like wouldn't have such popular and successful channels. Like literally there are way more right wing channels on youtube that disagrees with the left than pro leftist channels. And they are so big because of the manufactured culture war propoganda that they push. They confuse people disagreeing with them with censorship. The whole idea of cancel culture is nonsense because the very existence of these popular channels contradicts that narrative.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing about censorship is that it's never totally complete. Even in the USSR or Nazi Germany, it was still possible to smuggle books, pamphlets, tape recordings, or be able to listen to broadcasts of "forbidden" ideas from other lands.

Similarly, one can use technological means to be able to get around internet blocks or attempts at banning/censoring something.
It's almost like a forbidden fruit syndrome, in that if people realize there's something the government doesn't want them to see, the natural reaction is that they're going to want to see it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
One thing about censorship is that it's never totally complete. Even in the USSR or Nazi Germany, it was still possible to smuggle books, pamphlets, tape recordings, or be able to listen to broadcasts of "forbidden" ideas from other lands.

Similarly, one can use technological means to be able to get around internet blocks or attempts at banning/censoring something.
It's almost like a forbidden fruit syndrome, in that if people realize there's something the government doesn't want them to see, the natural reaction is that they're going to want to see it.
It's called the Streisand effect.
The more you want to hide something, the more that something will draw people's attention.
Censorship is self-detrimental.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Con artists and used car salesmen do not like their game being exposed so they try to control narrative with censorship needed to set the stage for the big lie. Fake news has to lie since it does not have the facts to back up its claims. Pointing out facts can be detrimental to their game.

The follow up question is what type of person cheers on censorship by their leaders? It appears to be those who wish to be lied to, so they can feel good in an alternate reality that can only exist in the vacuum of censorship.

The election of 2024 is coming up and the side that censors the most will be the one you can trust the least.
If you're aware of this then why do you fall for it?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's called the Streisand effect.
The more you want to hide something, the more that something will draw people's attention.
Censorship is self-detrimental.
Any particular examples of "leftist" censorship? Private companies moderating and quality controlling their platforms doesn't count.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And? That doesn't answer the question.
It's about the European context.
In my country, my employer cannot dismiss me for expressing a political opinion that he doesn't like.
If he does, he will have to compensate me for the hedonic damage.
Or in the most serious cases, he will be forced to re-hire me.

So...the private companies argument is something I am not interested in. Since in the USA anything is private. Even the air people breathe. :)