• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the proper way to spread religion?

tomspug

Absorbant
There are many methods that have been used throughout history. For your personal beliefs, what do you feel is the 1) most effective method of providing religion to others, 2) the proper (or moral) method and 3) your own personal method?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
There are many methods that have been used throughout history. For your personal beliefs, what do you feel is the 1) most effective method of providing religion to others, 2) the proper (or moral) method and 3) your own personal method?
1) By the sword.

2 & 3) Polite education. Simply answer questions when asked, don't push. If it's right for the other person, that will be sufficient.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I think the best way to spread the gospel is by being a representative yourself, by your actions, words, courtesy to others, respect and love towards others.

If someone asks a question about the Bible, answer as quickly, and briefly as possible and let that person take the conversation from there....a rant or bunch of rambling only turns people off.....;)

.lava

Veteran Member

acts are more valuable than words. so i would say being yourself is enough. i would share what i know with people but no doubt it is more important to be one who's practicing what he's saying.

hundreds of years ago it had to be done by sword. but that does not mean people were forced to join. in those times, if you sent one guy to another tribe or another nation he would be immediately get killed. therefor they had to go together. now there is internet. anyone can reach on his own.

yea

bye

rojse

RF Addict
There are many methods that have been used throughout history. For your personal beliefs, what do you feel is the 1) most effective method of providing religion to others,

Plenty of ways:
1. Violence
2. Subjugation
3. Pretend to have a religious revelation
4. Find a criticism of a current religion, and create a new religious denomination within the church to address the issue.
5. Send out missionaries
6. Create a new religion out of thin air, and write a book about how it solves every problem
7. Convert the children
8. Tell people there are dire consequences for not believing
9. Make religion law, and make other religions illegal.

These have all worked well in the past.

2) the proper (or moral) method and

Don't do it unless a fully reasoning adult asks to learn about your religious beliefs.

3) your own personal method?

I'm not religious, so this is irrelevant.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
In this day and age, people (in the free world, anyway) can find religion if they want it. There are Churches, TV programs (I wouldn't recommend the boob tube as a good way to find faith, most of the time), there are religious writings of many different faiths at libraries and book stores, radio, magazines, and so on.

Religion should not be taught to any person that doesn't want it. Even Jesus Himself said not to force religion on people- he just said to shake dust off your sandals. If they are willing to listen, then you can teach them all about (People came to Jesus, Jesus did not go door to door, but that is only one faith/religion):)

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
While pondering this in my mind I have reached the conclusion that a good way to spread religion is by:

Spread love, faith and some of the gospel between 2 slices of bread, and also a light spread of peanut butter, because it sticks to the mouth and they will have longer to digest the word of God............Well it is like a sneak attack! :rolleyes:

Forgive me I am in one of my playful moods tonight.....Laugh and be happy!

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

Leading by example, for all 3.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
It must be frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody bothers to ask you the questions..............

emiliano

These scriptures summarise it well:1Pe 3:15 but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be ready always to give an answer to everyone who asks you a reason of the hope in you, with meekness and fear;
1Pe 2:12 having your conduct honest among the nations, in that which they speak against you as evildoers, they may glorify God in a day of His visitation, seeing your good works.
We must also preach our faith in a language that is appropriate to the spiritual age of the audience as the Apostle Paul counsels.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk and not with solid food, for you were not yet able to bear it; nor are you able even now.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Frind tomspug,
We see that religion followed enlightened people.
enlightened people draw people on its own accord like magnets and their enlightenment flows like water from higher levels to lower and so others around too flower around them.
Love & rgds

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The problem with enforcing religion by law or by the sword is that you end up with resentful "followers" insincere in their belief. Also, being condescending, belligerent and hostile while trying to spread their religion doesn't exactly drive the converts in droves into the arms of their god.

Dunemeister

(1) Methods come and go. In North America, we're addicted to technique and rational process, which makes questions of "effective method" make sense. There's no such beast, though.

Besides, there's the very difficult question of how to measure effectiveness. At a Billy Graham crusade, they would count the number of people who "came forward" and said a "sinner's prayer". Well, does a person saying a sinner's prayer count as an effective provision of religion to a person? Has the person who said a sinner's prayer actually adopted the religion espoused by Graham?

Most of us, on reflection, say "no." There must be more. But what does that "more" consist in? Christians would generally say the more is discipleship. That is, a person must be trained in the faith -- its beliefs and practices. In traditional churches, that's what catechism is for, and when the candidate completes her catechism, she is eligible for baptism/confirmation. But again, we have to ask, if a person has undergone catechism and has received baptism, does this count as an "effective" provision of religion to a person? Has the person who has been baptized/confirmed actually adopted Christianity?

Most of us, on reflection, would say "it depends." Depends on what, though? Sincerity? How do you measure that? By continued profession of faith and participation in the community? Can't a person do all that without, in their hearts, believing? Does it matter what's in the heart? Is the ceremony enough? Opinions differ. But most would probably say that a good track record of participation in the religious community and adherence to the beliefs and practices of that community are at least the measurable signs of adopting a religion. So perhaps we'd best stick with that.

But then it's obvious that we can't just count conversions and baptisms to get our statistics to measure our effectiveness. The processes of adopting (or conversely, conferring) a religion are complex and convoluted. So measuring their effectiveness may not be really possible.

(2) and (3) Given the complexity of conversion (and I can only speak to the Christian case), the only method that makes sense to me is "induction." That is, I introduce the beliefs and spiritual practices of Christianity to those who are interested. I don't hold crusades or mass rallies (although there may be a place for those -- God knows -- it's just not my style). Rather, I let those around me know of my Christian profession and then let it be. I've found that if you let people know your general religious perspective, it eventually issues in discussions, comparisons, and so forth, all of which is healthy. If in the course of those discussions a person is sufficiently interested in Christianity, I offer to introduce some Christian practices. If the person responds favorably, I introduce more, eventually introducing them to corporate practices such as worship. If the person decides to go even further, I arrange for them to take catechism classes. By that time, the candidate has had a fairly full introduction to Christianity and is well-placed to decide whether this is the life they want to adopt or not.

In my whole life, I have seen only one person make it through the whole process (although there may have been others who completed it through other people that I don't know about). I tend to teach people about the whole faith, including those bits that are likely to turn people off, such as the high moral standards they'll be expected to adhere to. I also don't shy away from the philosophical issues raised by faith in general and Christian faith in particular. But that one person has stuck through some pretty serious times of testing. So I'd count that a success. Others who use a more streamlined practice see more "success" in terms of numbers who say sinners prayers or get baptized. I can't say for sure whether they're actually more successful or effective than me.

It seems to me that although method may be important, the most important factor in Christian conversion (from a Christian perspective) is the action of the Holy Spirit. He blows where he wills, and if he's not blowing where I'm sailing, then my efforts are in vain. If he's blowing where I'm sailing, then there's little I can do to fail. So a large part of my process involves private prayer. Nevertheless, as a part of a faithful (I don't say effective) Christian witness, I owe it to seekers to present Christianity as fully and as fairly as I know how. I think my method does so, but I'm open to revision.

Last edited: