• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the proper way to spread religion?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
What I'm saying is that this quote:

... also applies to every "religious" conflict I've ever heard of.

Spreading the conquerors' dominant faith is just a "bonus." War is never so simple as the anti-religious would like to portray it.

This is what I was trying to say. That it's not the religion but the people in the religion. Or something like that, I not good at explaining....

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Didn't they also have gulags specifically for religious "enemies"?

I believe that they did, and yet they allowed many openly religious people to remain in the population.

Some churches were allowed to stay open (I believe that some of the churches were either Orthodox or Jewish, but I can't swear to it).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe that they did, and yet they allowed many openly religious people to remain in the population.

Some churches were allowed to stay open (I believe that some of the churches were either Orthodox or Jewish, but I can't swear to it).
We are getting off-topic now. I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about COmmunist policies. Apologies to Tom.

Would you like to continue this elsewhere, TVOR?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
We are getting off-topic now. I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about COmmunist policies. Apologies to Tom.

Would you like to continue this elsewhere, TVOR?

Not really, Storm.

It isn't something that I am dying to dig into.

I appreciate the offer, and I understand your not wanting to hijack the thread.

logician

ACtually, more cultures have been destroyed by smiling missionaries, than by large armies. Militarism is not needed here.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
For one, many in AFrica I suspect, where original cultures and religions were replaced by Christianity. Remember slavery in the U.S.?
Thats weak.
I mean really weak.

Especially given the way you presented in post #47

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
For one, many in AFrica I suspect, where original cultures and religions were replaced by Christianity. Remember slavery in the U.S.?

You suspect, right. When an theist say something like that you demand proof. What's that burden thing you're all was talking abut. They've shown shows on TV with tribe that now follow "Christianity", they don't like all that destroyed. Yes they culture is different now but destroyed, hardly.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think the spreading of faith in the past sometimes was done in the wrong ways. How can one preach about the love of God while the people are starving to death? Feed them physically first, I always say. Then if they want to hear about the spiritual stuff they may be willing to listen. And, as I said in an earlier post, they reject it- then leave them in peace.

*note- Neither theism nor atheism is the reason for wars and poverty. Greed seems to be the leading cause of these problems-- Greed for land and greed for power. And theists and atheists both seem to have greed (at times) in large amounts. Finding or losing faith seems to have little effect on a person's personality.

gnomon

Considering Christianity spread to Africa two centuries before Constantine followed by Islam after that I'm not understanding your point. Also considering the fact that non-Christian peoples routinely waged violence against others as well, mainly because the others were different, what makes them any better.

Seriously, why is it Christianity is always the big bad bugaboo but not anyone else despite their not being much of a difference at all.

logician

You suspect, right. When an theist say something like that you demand proof. What's that burden thing you're all was talking abut. They've shown shows on TV with tribe that now follow "Christianity", they don't like all that destroyed. Yes they culture is different now but destroyed, hardly.

I consider replacing a native religion with another "destroying" a culture. Maybe you don't.

logician

Considering Christianity spread to Africa two centuries before Constantine followed by Islam after that I'm not understanding your point. Also considering the fact that non-Christian peoples routinely waged violence against others as well, mainly because the others were different, what makes them any better.

Seriously, why is it Christianity is always the big bad bugaboo but not anyone else despite their not being much of a difference at all.

Nothing, but it doesn't mean religion hasn't destroyed cultures, it has.

gnomon

Nothing, but it doesn't mean religion hasn't destroyed cultures, it has.

I don't doubt that there are instances when one culture, under religious motivation, completely dominated another to the point where the culture of the other group wasn't really assimilated but just lost. It's hard to tell.

Some examples would be nice. We know that societies in many of the islands in the Caribbean were completely wiped out. However, we also know that even though the European powers that went there were Christian that it was primarily outright greed, the politics of empire, racial prejudice and disease that wiped out those societies. To say it was just religion is naive.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
So, when you wish that everyone were atheist, you want to "destroy" all cultures?

Destroying cultures is taking the original faith of the people, and replacing it with another.
Examples : Norway, Sweden (thousands killed for paganism), Africa (slave trading), Roman Empire (pagans burnt to death).
Isn't the spreading of Chrstianity a pleasant business? Thousands would have been spared reaining their native culture should they have not been destroyed with the people who carried them in favour of Christianity.
Norse mythology was almost lost because the nords carried it verbally, not much was actually written. In order to convert the Norse, the pagans were told their gods were demons, how sad.