• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the proper way to spread religion?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Why spread religion - it's done more harm than good over the ages?

Do you have proof of this, or are you just finding was to out down religion again. I should note that it not religion that should be blamed but the people in it. Think about that and get back to us.

logician

Do you have proof of this, or are you just finding was to out down religion again. I should note that it not religion that should be blamed but the people in it. Think about that and get back to us.

Read the histories of Christianity and Islam, it will make your hair stand on end.

.lava

Veteran Member
Read the histories of Christianity and Islam, it will make your hair stand on end.

which history, Logician? do you mean time of Prophets? if yes, i disagree. however religion as you know it usually appears after death of Prophet.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The officially-atheist governments we've had give them a run for their money, logician.
Guess that depends upon how one looks at it.
If the religious can deflect blame off religion and onto the people then why can't the atheists do the same?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Guess that depends upon how one looks at it.
If the religious can deflect blame off religion and onto the people then why can't the atheists do the same?
Turnabout is fair play.

I personally don't blame any worldview for any atrocity, but if religion is to be blamed, irreligion must as well.

It all goes back to the OP. When given the oppurtunity, atheists haven't hesitated to spread their ideology by the sword, either.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Turnabout is fair play.

I personally don't blame any worldview for any atrocity, but if religion is to be blamed, irreligion must as well.

It all goes back to the OP. When given the oppurtunity, atheists haven't hesitated to spread their ideology by the sword, either.
Which atheists have killed in order to spread atheism?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
There are many methods that have been used throughout history. For your personal beliefs, what do you feel is the 1) most effective method of providing religion to others, 2) the proper (or moral) method and 3) your own personal method?

Spreading religion waters down culture. Scandanavian mass conversions destroyed another religion which was morally wrong and practically ended traditional culture. Beheading pagans and so forth was immoral of Christianity. There were also the crusades Islam vs. Christianity, what a glamorous way to send the message of the cross/prophet.

Then we come to the door-knockers. I must say its quite annoying. If they're after some more sheep, they're wasting their time. If someone really wants to join your organisation 9 times out 10 they will come to you. The poor door-knockers only ever get abused or get to spin off their rubbish to some little old ladies who have no one else to talk to.

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
For your personal beliefs, what do you feel is the 1) most effective method of providing religion to others, 2) the proper (or moral) method and 3) your own personal method?
Firstly, good character. People will automatically approach you if you have a character that stands out from the rest in doing good and staying away from evil. That is the most effective method, the proper (or moral) method, and ... well I can't claim it is my personal method.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
The communist regimes of Russia and China suppressed religion brutally. I think that qualifies.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Storm.

I know that they both shut down the majority of churches, but it isn't like they went door to door, pulling anyone of faith out of their homes and putting them to death.

In Russia, the killing was so indiscriminate that it is hard for me to buy into it being a concerted effort to simply spread atheism.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

I know that they both shut down the majority of churches, but it isn't like they went door to door, pulling anyone of faith out of their homes and putting them to death.

In Russia, the killing was so indiscriminate that it is hard for me to buy into it being a concerted effort to simply spread atheism.
And the Crusades were about land.

As I said, I don't blame either worldview for the atrocities they were twisted to support, but if you're going to do so for one, turnabout is fair play.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
And the Crusades were about land.

As I said, I don't blame either worldview for the atrocities they were twisted to support, but if you're going to do so for one, turnabout is fair play.

I would say that the Crusades were about wealth (they didn't seem to be to interested in holding the land, once they took it).

Even so, it's not like Stalin wiped out 40 million people while claiming to do so in the name of atheism.

The knights, on the other hand, invaded in the name of Christ and made it a point to slap a little Christianity on those that survived their incursions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I would say that the Crusades were about wealth (they didn't seem to be to interested in holding the land, once they took it).

Even so, it's not like Stalin wiped out 40 million people while claiming to do so in the name of atheism.

The knights, on the other hand, invaded in the name of Christ and made it a point to slap a little Christianity on those that survived their incursions.
What I'm saying is that this quote:

... also applies to every "religious" conflict I've ever heard of.

Spreading the conquerors' dominant faith is just a "bonus." War is never so simple as the anti-religious would like to portray it.

.lava

Veteran Member

matter of fact performing Islamic salaat was forbidden. people would get killed doing it.