• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the true religion

Enai de a lukal

There is a difference between disagreeing and creating an argument out of thin air while pretending I said or implied things which I clearly did not.
Right, I'm clearly putting words in your mouth... :sarcastic

Did I say anything about theological beliefs? anything at all?
Nope, nothing, nada. I didn't say anything about God, about walking on water, about the trinity, about many gods.
What you said begged certain questions about religious truth-claims. Questions you're not willing to discuss, apparently.

Not at all. There is nothing peculiar about being true to oneself. If you disagree with the idea, I have no problem with that, just don't be anal retentive about it.
Why so petulant? Why post on a "Religious Debate" forum if you are so sensitive to someone attempting to engage you?

My point is very simple, and some people have already understood it. My argument is that a 'true' religion is the one in which we are true to ourselves, and to our ideals, and which fosters an individual environment of productivity and compassion towards other people around us.
I understood what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that you're only really sidestepping the question from the OP.

If you feel so offended by the combination of the words 'true' and 'religion' here, then simply change these terms with other words which don't rub you the wrong way. It doesn't matter to me, as I am simply playing the game of the thread in order take part in it.
If you get so flustered by someone disagreeing with you, you probably should rethink your participation in the debate section of the site.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Hasn't this thread been done before?

*Waits for the fundamentalists to join the conversation*

No, that doesn't make sense. Truth is a property of certain linguistic items (assertions, propositions, thoughts, beliefs)- namely, those which describe/correspond to facts.

For instance, the proposition "Snow is white" is TRUE if and only if snow is white- that is, if it is a fact that snow is white.

The wait is over!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
If you get so flustered by someone disagreeing with you, you probably should rethink your participation in the debate section of the site.
Whatever you say Mac. You win. Let me declare you the most rational new user on RF with debating skills we have never witnessed before on all the years this forum has been active.
Trust me, I've managed to debate with hundreds of members through my years here, long productive years before you graced us with your membership, so much in fact that I recognize when my time is wasted. Such as at this very moment.

Enai de a lukal

Whatever you say Mac. You win. Let me declare you the most rational new user on RF with debating skills we have never witnessed before on all the years this forum has been active.
Trust me, I've managed to debate with hundreds of members through my years here, long productive years before you graced us with your membership, so much in fact that I recognize when my time is wasted. Such as at this very moment.

More petulance. Seriously, if you are unable/unwilling to discuss anything on a discussion forum, what on earth are you doing here? Did you honestly not expect anyone to respond to your post?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Indeed- thinking you've extracted any sense from such comments would be strongly indicative of mental illness.

Naturally, anyone who thinks you are a fundamentalist is mentally ill. Was Wikipedia handing out psychology degrees today and I missed it?

Enai de a lukal

Naturally, anyone who thinks you are a fundamentalist is mentally ill.
There are many negative things you could say about me, but being a fundamentalist is not one of them. Its sort of like trying to make fun of Paris Hilton by calling her fat... At least pick something that's plausible.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
On another thought I would like to add that the True Religion is the one that dictates to its followers to leave people the hell alone and stop trying to perform acts of mass proselytization like a Bill Graham crusade.

I shall confirm this thusly...

al-Baqarah Ayat 256

"لَآ إِكۡرَاهَ فِى ٱلدِّينِ*ۖ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ ٱلرُّشۡدُ مِنَ ٱلۡغَىِّ*ۚ فَمَن يَكۡفُرۡ بِٱلطَّـٰغُوتِ وَيُؤۡمِنۢ بِٱللَّهِ فَقَدِ ٱسۡتَمۡسَكَ بِٱلۡعُرۡوَةِ ٱلۡوُثۡقَىٰ لَا ٱنفِصَامَ لَهَا*ۗ وَٱللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ"
"There shall be no compulsion in religion: the right way is now distinct from the wrong way. Anyone who denounces the devil and believes in GOD has grasped the strongest bond; one that never breaks. GOD is Hearer, Omniscient."
:yes:

Enai de a lukal

On another thought I would like to add that the True Religion is the one that dictates to its followers to leave people the hell alone and stop trying to perform acts of mass proselytization like a Bill Graham crusade.

I shall confirm this thusly...

Funny how much some of these descriptions of the "true" religion (really meaning something more like the IDEAL religion) sound like descriptions of no religion...

:shrug:

Enai de a lukal

Actually, its too bad that religions like Christianity and Islam give some of the far less obnoxious (and actually often insightful) religions like Buddhism, Judaism, etc. a bad name...

idea

Question Everything
What if the voice in your head tells you to burn puppies and eat people?

You have an angel on one shoulder, and a devil on the other - don't listen to the devil!

homer_simpson_angels_and_demons-11209.jpg

seriously though, we all know the difference between good and evil - read through this:
Illustrations of the Tao | John C. Wright's Journal

We all adhere to basically the same morals, we are all directed by the same God. Finding the right religion is as simple as shopping around, studying, and then listening to your conscience.... (keeping in mind that the "right" thing to do isn't always the easiest or most fun thing to do, so it's not the natural mind you are listening to)

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
There is no difference between good and evil. The only thing that separates the two is individual opinion. One man's good is another man's evil.

idea

Question Everything
There is no difference between good and evil. The only thing that separates the two is individual opinion. One man's good is another man's evil.

Good and bad are mere Individual opinions?
good health/bad health - that's just an individual opinion? doctors just have "opinions"?

LOL, no up or down, no left or right, everything is really the same... good luck with that...

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Good and bad are mere Individual opinions?
good health/bad health - that's just an individual opinion? doctors just have "opinions"?

LOL, no up or down, no left or right, everything is really the same... good luck with that...

I didn't say good and bad... I said good and evil (meaning good or bad in a moral sense). Of course you're going to use the typical theist flash-card arguments and take me out of context. If I had a dollar for every time someone tried to pull that ****...

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
There are many negative things you could say about me, but being a fundamentalist is not one of them. Its sort of like trying to make fun of Paris Hilton by calling her fat... At least pick something that's plausible.

I assume this view of yours has a lot to do with your strict adherence to a particular definition of 'fundamentalism'.

I also assume you do not cwutididthar.