• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the truth about God

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Shoot. I still think the truth about God is that he suffers mightily, and therefore he needs one super-duper sized Big Squishy Hug. :rainbow1:

:hugehug:

Peace,
Mystic

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Shoot. I still think the truth about God is that he suffers mightily, and therefore he needs one super-duper sized Big Squishy Hug. :rainbow1:

:hugehug:

Peace,
Mystic

Indeed. See if you can trick God into taking off his full-body armor so he can receive said squishy hug.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Roli, why do you deny that people's experiences with Gods other than Yahweh are just as valid as yours?

I don't doubt expereinces ,but my question is what is the truth about God? and if there is a truth ,how can any other religion outside of Christianity be truth.

Does anyone in other religions ask that question or are they holding on with both hands ,just hoping their path is the right one.

What are the truths of some of the relgions out there ,that make them so right.

UnTheist

I don't doubt expereinces ,but my question is what is the truth about God? and if there is a truth ,how can any other religion outside of Christianity be truth.
How can any other religion outside Luciferianism be truth?

Does anyone in other religions ask that question or are they holding on with both hands ,just hoping their path is the right one.
A Hindu could ask you the same question.

What are the truths of some of the relgions out there ,that make them so right.
What are the truths of Christianity that make it so right?

storm2020

What makes you so arrogant as to think that the christians have it right and no one else does?

Never have i seen more doubters and people loose their faith than those that were christian.

There is no absolute truth to be found about god. Your looking for what cant be found.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;936450 said:
I agree. This manifests itself in a variety of ways when someone confuzzles their inductive conclusions and linguistic models for "truth". First, it manifests in serious confusion about the nature and purpose of scientific method and scientific knowledge. Second, in a generally callous disrespect for the individual experiences and artistic expressions of people other than the "true" believer.

Nietzsche somewhere mentions the danger of trying to digest a mystical experience too quickly. I think when one does that -- tries to digest it too quickly -- one is apt to latch onto the handiest explanation for it that one has -- which in a Christian culture is likely to be the Christian god -- and then become a "true believer" in that particular explanation.

doppelganger

Never have i seen more doubters and people loose their faith than those that were christian.

Cognitive dissonance cannot be permanently maintained. Not even by Mother Theresa.
Mother Teresa, who was greatly admired by Diana, Princess of Wales, said in another letter: "The damned of Hell suffer eternal punishment because they experiment with the loss of God.
"In my own soul, I feel the terrible pain of this loss. I feel that God does not want me, that God is not God and that he does not really exist."

doppelganger

Nietzsche somewhere mentions the danger of trying to digest a mystical experience too quickly. I think when one does that -- tries to digest it too quickly -- one is apt to latch onto the handiest explanation for it that one has -- which in a Christian culture is likely to be the Christian god -- and then become a "true believer" in that particular explanation.

Excellent point, Phil. Mystical experiences are an undoing of the rigidity and certainty of identity that leaves the observer temporarily very vulnerable. When the observer embraces that uncertainty, it becomes an eternal source of strength. When the observer can't deal with uncertainty, new idols merely replace those cleansed away by the mystic experience.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;936479 said:
Excellent point, Phil. Mystical experiences are an undoing of the rigidity and certainty of identity that leaves the observer temporarily very vulnerable. When the observer embraces that uncertainty, it becomes an eternal source of strength. When the observer can't deal with uncertainty, new idols merely replace those cleansed away by the mystic experience.

Exactly! Have a cigar for that one, Brendan! :cigar: Beautifully put!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

The same way Christianity can be called "truth" by many - truth, when it comes to religion, is a relative concept.

If there is an absolute truth, then how can one assume Christianity is the only one, when there are so many other religions?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...how can any other religion outside of Christianity be truth.

Have you considered the possibility that if God is infinite, while human understanding is yet finite, then all religions might be likely to have some truth to them -- even Christianity!

UnTheist

If there is an absolute truth, then how can one assume Christianity is the only one, when there are so many other religions?
He will quote scripture to prove other religions false. When someone mentions that those other religions indeed have their own texts as well, he just asserts their texts are false and the Bible is true because the Bible says so.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Is every religion, their views and pursuit of it, truth.

I mean they all have aspects of truth in them,but I mean if there is 1 God ,1 heaven,there must be one truth about who he is and what he requires of us.

Can you know what this absolute truth is about God ?

Truths are as narrow as every individual, and as vast as the imagination. Truth can both restrict and free God. Absolute truth tends to restrict.

jacquie4000

For me their is no absolute truth in religion. No matter what the religion one holds. The more you read and re-read different religions or the one you hold dear you see something different at times. You may read it once but next time interupt different therefore your truth is ever changing.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
doppelgänger;936450 said:
I agree. This manifests itself in a variety of ways when someone confuzzles their inductive conclusions and linguistic models for "truth". First, it manifests in serious confusion about the nature and purpose of scientific method and scientific knowledge. Second, in a generally callous disrespect for the individual experiences and artistic expressions of people other than the "true" believer.

Is that the only basis you argue from,science ,knowledge ,my friend ,God is so much more than what you try and explain away.

If you or others have had an spiritual expereince I'd like to hear about it.
I mean there are spirits in this world that bring about experiences within idivduals,but they certainly are not all from God.

That's the misconception, one has an experience and they think it was from God, or try to associate it to God ,maybe it was satan masking as a angel of light, we are told in scripture to test the spirits to see which is from God .
Believe me ,there are other spirits out there that have their initial appearnace as divine and inspirational ,but from personal expereince ,they are misleading
I understand absolute truth is obsolete in today's

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is that the only basis you argue from,science ,knowledge ,my friend ,God is so much more than what you try and explain away.

I mean there are spirits in this world that bring about experiences within idivduals,but they certainly are not all from God.

That's the misconception, one has an experience and they think it was from God, or try to associate it to God ,maybe it was satan masking as a angel of light, we are told in scripture to test the spirits to see which is from God .
Believe me ,there are other spirits out there that have their initial appearnace as divine and inspirational ,but from personal expereince ,they are misleading

Roli, are you seriously suggesting that the only possible reason people would disagree with you is because they have been possessed by the devil?

On what grounds do you know for certain your own "meeting with God" was not actually a meeting with Satan in disguise?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

But, that's just it - experiences are also subjective. I could also say that my experiences provide more evidence than yours, but neither of us have any way of getting evidence to substantiate this claim?
How can you tell another person anything about their personal experiences? If you believe you can, then certainly that's a two way street.

doppelganger

Ummm . . . no . . . you might want to re-read my posts, roli. It's you trying to argue for the "absolute truth" of scientific knowledge.

I know you'd like to, but I don't anticipate you'd be capable of hearing about it.

Indeed, roli . . . indeed. :rainbow1: