• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is/was your major in College/University?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm a couple months from an A.S. in liberal arts. Next year I'm working towards my B.A. in anthropology and japanese.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering (specialized in transportation, geotechnical engineering/pavement design, and water resources).

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Mine was information science

@Wheelerjoe
It can vary greatly, different online institutions have vastly different standards and types of accreditation/certification, for some of them the degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on, while others can be quite reasonable. If you are referring to online education run by a traditional education institution as opposed to an online institution, they can be quite highly regarded (I know at my uni there were significant components that could be completed entirely online in some degrees)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering (specialized in transportation, geotechnical engineering/pavement design, and water resources).
We mechanical engineers really appreciate the work you guys do, ie, providing something for our cars & trucks to drive on & for our planes to land on.
Some say that your work is low & glamorless, but I say you're useful. You let us shine.

Last edited:

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Whether you are going for (or earned) a certificate at a technical college or a PhD at at top notch graduate school, what is (or was) your major?

I'm currently going to a State university getting my Bachelors in Psychology.

I want to be a chaplain. Therefore, I'm going to get my Masters in Religion and I might even shoot for a Doctorate in Buddhist/Eastern studies.

At University, I changed my major multiple times:

Engineering
Psychology
Engineering Physics
Organizational Psychology

I ended up with an Associates (2 year) Degree in Engineering Technology, then got a B.S. degree in Metaphysical Science. Currently working on my masters thesis, and plan to go for a PhD in Comparative Religion.

Hopefully will be done with school in about 2 more years.

dust1n

Zindīq
AA in Journalism. On me way to BS in Accounting. MBA's are useless now though, and I don't think I have the willpower to be aCPA, so I'm contemplating just sleeping as a profession.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No degree. Stopped going after one year. Couldn't afford it, and ended up not needing it. Turns out that talent and ability were more relevant. Besides, I've always valued learning too much to be interested in school.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
AA in Journalism. On me way to BS in Accounting. MBA's are useless now though, and I don't think I have the willpower to be aCPA, so I'm contemplating just sleeping as a profession.
MBA's are still quite useful (as is accounting).
It all depends upon your goals.
One of the biggest failings I see in fellow business owners is a lack of financial accounting skills.
(People don't understand that mere bookkeeping ain't enuf.)

dust1n

Zindīq
No degree. Stopped going after one year. Couldn't afford it, and ended up not needing it. Turns out that talent and ability were more relevant. Besides, I've always valued learning too much to be interested in school.

Whoa. Where do you go to get that? :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Other than math, I wish I could saw I learned much from my this part of my college schooling, but alot of the course material I already knew, sometimes to a much greater degree, from watching documentaries and reading science articles. I didn't even read the text book for half of my classes. And what really sucked was when they started to enforce attendance, because I use to habitually miss classes. One class I missed over half of it, and a couple of them I only showed up for labs and tests. As long as a student's grades are good, I really don't see why attendance is an issue just because it is important for most students. I even got an email over my attendance for one class, lecturing me on how important attendance is for good grades, even though I made all A's in the class.:facepalm:
I am hoping that a real university might be better, but from some of the documentaries I have seen on higher education, even at a real university there seems to be an issue with students who put forth very minimal effort and make good grades.

I know a lady with an MBA who is an account for Homeland Security. It's not the best paying job (or most secure ATM), but the pay is a solid midde-class income. Not alot of flashy toys and expensive gadgets, but money is not an issue for her and she has enough to insist on helping her daughter financially whenever her daughter runs into financial troubles.

dust1n

Zindīq
MBA's are still quite useful (as is accounting).
It all depends upon your goals.
One of the biggest failings I see in fellow business owners is a lack of financial accounting skills.
(People don't understand that mere bookkeeping ain't enuf.)

I hope to start a failing business one day. Accounting seems like it will come in handy.

dust1n

Zindīq
Other than math, I wish I could saw I learned much from my this part of my college schooling, but alot of the course material I already knew, sometimes to a much greater degree, from watching documentaries and reading science articles. I didn't even read the text book for half of my classes. And what really sucked was when they started to enforce attendance, because I use to habitually miss classes. One class I missed over half of it, and a couple of them I only showed up for labs and tests. As long as a student's grades are good, I really don't see why attendance is an issue just because it is important for most students. I even got an email over my attendance for one class, lecturing me on how important attendance is for good grades, even though I made all A's in the class.:facepalm:
I am hoping that a real university might be better, but from some of the documentaries I have seen on higher education, even at a real university there seems to be an issue with students who put forth very minimal effort and make good grades.

Story of a generation right there.

I know a lady with an MBA who is an account for Homeland Security. It's not the best paying job (or most secure ATM), but the pay is a solid midde-class income. Not alot of flashy toys and expensive gadgets, but money is not an issue for her and she has enough to insist on helping her daughter financially whenever her daughter runs into financial troubles.
The only reason I'm going is the potential for high income immediately after I finish my degree. I'm gonna have about 12 grand in student debt when I finish. :( EDIT: Well, might not be that bad. I turn 24 next go around with FAFSA, so I might actually get some serious grant money for the ol' senior year. (FINALLY).

Last edited: