• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is/was your major in College/University?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
BS in Biology, microscopy emphasis. Went back to get an AS in Clinical Lab Science, basically a certification program to be a medical lab tech.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We mechanical engineers really appreciate the work you guys do, ie, providing something for our cars & trucks to drive on & for our planes to land on.
Some say that your work is low & glamorless, but I say you're useful. You let us shine.

Reminds me of an old joke:

Mechanical engineers build weapons; civil engineers build targets.

:D

freethinker44

Getting a BS in computer science right now. Hoping to get into AI research, with any luck I will have Skynet up and running in ten years or so.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery (Hons) yet learned far more valuable things about life, people and the world via other means whilst i was at university not reflected in the eventual qualification.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[
quote=dust1n;3271630]I hope to start a failing business one day. Accounting seems like it will come in handy.
[/QUOTE]

AS, Gen Ed, As Bus Mgt, As Bus Adm, and a couple of Certificates that I have no idea where they came from. After I finished the accounting course I burned the book and considered joining a monastery. Unless you are planning to be an accountant, hire someone to do your books and concentrate on your business. BTW, my son's Dad-in-law has a ninth grade education and a very, very successful used car and bus business.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
AS, Gen Ed, As Bus Mgt, As Bus Adm, and a couple of Certificates that I have no idea where they came from. After I finished the accounting course I burned the book and considered joining a monastery. Unless you are planning to be an accountant, hire someone to do your books and concentrate on your business.
This is usually very bad advice. If one is properly trained & does one's own books, one has greater control.
Then, as the business expands, when you pass off more tasks to underlings, you'll be in a better position to
manage them & spot errors & fraud. Yes, there will be fraud. Every single business owner I know has dealt
with it, especially embezzlement. Long ago I was testing a fraud diagnostic system I developed, & lo & behold,
I caught an employee immediately. I fired & evicted her.

TommyDar

University and Master's: Electrical Engineering
Ph.D. : Political science

After about 6 years of doing engineering, I decided I had enough.

Accompanied by my changing perspectives, I eventually decided to change disciplines to political science to study something highly complex and involving humanity. It is also in this field that I think I could make the most progress.

Wirey

Fartist
Whether you are going for (or earned) a certificate at a technical college or a PhD at at top notch graduate school, what is (or was) your major?

I'm currently going to a State university getting my Bachelors in Psychology.

I want to be a chaplain. Therefore, I'm going to get my Masters in Religion and I might even shoot for a Doctorate in Buddhist/Eastern studies.

Amatuer Gynecology, with a minor in Amatuer Pharmacology.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Amatuer Gynecology, with a minor in Amatuer Pharmacology.
I once worked for a big heavy machinery manufacturer. Someone told me there was a question whether I really had
an engineering degree. Greatly offended, I seized the bull by the horns, & told the guy I had a degree in sociology.
The rumors stopped.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh yeah? Nobody beats how totally legitimate and impressive my degree in dance is. I mean, I'm such a scholar because of it. That's why people respect me so much. :yes:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Undergraduate in physics.

Plan on getting burned out in 3-5 years and returning for a graduate degree in applied science.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
One year later, and thus the thread was revived. :D

In the past year, I've learned some things about myself. The main one being that, despite how sure I was, I don't think I'm cut out to do ministry or chaplaincy. I was nearly 100% sure I was, but I just don't think so anymore.

Upon reflecting, one thing I've always had an interest in was non-profit work. Human rights, prison reform, poverty advocacy, ethical medicine, etc.

I'm going to finish my Bachelor's in Psychology in a couple of semesters and one option for Grad school could be to go to the seminary were I would have gotten a Divinity degree anyway. They also have a program that is similar to social work.

However, if I didn't want to go to seminary, what Masters programs do you think it would be possible to do non-profit work with? Political Science? Sociology?

Thoughts?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One year later, and thus the thread was revived. :D

In the past year, I've learned some things about myself. The main one being that, despite how sure I was, I don't think I'm cut out to do ministry or chaplaincy. I was nearly 100% sure I was, but I just don't think so anymore.

Upon reflecting, one thing I've always had an interest in was non-profit work. Human rights, prison reform, poverty advocacy, ethical medicine, etc.

I'm going to finish my Bachelor's in Psychology in a couple of semesters and one option for Grad school could be to go to the seminary were I would have gotten a Divinity degree anyway. They also have a program that is similar to social work.

However, if I didn't want to go to seminary, what Masters programs do you think it would be possible to do non-profit work with? Political Science? Sociology?

Thoughts?
I think a lot of majors can apply to non-profit work. Political science and law can lead to political work, sociology can lead to social work, biology can lead to environmental work, medicine can lead to medical work, etc.

I've considered maybe one day doing something non-profit related. My undergrad is engineering so that can apply to technical non-profits which I think is a fairly niche area, and my master's is in technical management which can potentially apply more broadly.

So I think it really depends on what area of non-profit you want to do. Political activism, environmental preservation, etc? You listed several things there, and different degrees can lead to them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think I just need a "knowledge sponge" major. I've taken Biology, Physics, an assortment of English classes, several psychology and anthropology classes, philosophy, political science, earth science (which somehow transferred as geology), theatre, several math courses, German, and even music. Today my advisor told me I really need to pick something to focus in lol!
I'm kinda stressed though, that I year ago I was just to get my associates, and today I have to start looking at places to apply for grad school.