• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your stance on free will?

shawn001

Yes. This is what I've been saying. There is no unconscious area of the mind that makes decisions for us; rather, decisions are made unconsciously.

"rather, decisions are made unconsciously"

without you "consciously" being aware and knowing about it.

And this is what I have been saying, because its important to the "freewill" debate in the actual operation of how the brain functions.

The term really though subconscious, unconscious is still used by neuroscientists and people in many in these fields, they just know they are really talking about the same thing nowadays, the way the brain works as a whole not a specific location, I had never mentioned there was one.
Hence why the video from the one neuroscentists I posted was using the term subconscious.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm not buying the sub-mind in control trick.

We have the underpinnings much like a vehicle has a chassis.
The wheels and frame don't determine which way the car moves.
The steering column has a pilot.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"rather, decisions are made unconsciously"

without you "consciously" being aware and knowing about it.
As far as awareness is considered to be passive, an act of observation that occurs post-reality, this is necessary.

The term really though subconscious, unconscious is still used by neuroscientists and people in many in these fields, they just know they are really talking about the same thing nowadays, the way the brain works as a whole not a specific location, I had never mentioned there was one.

Hence why the video from the one neuroscentists I posted was using the term subconscious.
The very use of the terminology does reserve an "area of the brain" for things to happen. It allows for such debatable statements as, "the unconscious mind makes decisions," and that this somehow twarts the free will debate.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Ha!....deception!.....a true marker of freewill!

Without freewill.....you could not lie!
The deliberate act to mislead another.....

If you have not freewill you cannot deviate.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"The ability to do otherwise", as opposed to "the ability to do."
If I decide now is a good time to eat because I'm hungry and have an appointment in half an hour that may take up much of my afternoon, have I exercised will that is "free"?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If I decide now is a good time to eat because I'm hungry and have an appointment in half an hour that may take up much of my afternoon, have I exercised will that is "free"?

Depends. Is there any possibility to avoid such a "decision"? Was the action necessary?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
To which the answer is, there was always the possiblity to have done otherwise, and no decision of action is ever necessary.

So, it's outside of the agent's control, meaning that regardless of the sensation of choice, there was only ever one option.

It's a scam.