• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes Islam a religion of peace

gnostic

The Lost One
eselam said:
although i love Isa (Jesus) peace be upon him, i will say the following:

the bible quotes Jesus peace be upon him as having said: "Bring my enemies here and kill them in front of me" Luke 19 verse 27.

That is verse is part of parable (Luke 19:11-27), and not a commandment. Parable is a story. You do understand the difference between reading a commandment and reading a parable, don't you?

You should re-read the entire parable rather than just a single verse, because you are taking it the single verse out of context, when you don't read the whole thing.

And when you read the whole parable, did you read anywhere where his apostles or disciples took the parable literally and IMMEDIATELY went out and start killing people who "disobey" Jesus?

Ok well,

It is a common complaint among some non-Muslims that Islam would not have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread by the use of force. The following points will make it clear, that far from being spread by the sword, it was the inherent force of truth, reason and logic that was responsible for the rapid spread of Islam.

Islam comes from the root word ‘salaam’, which means peace. It also means submitting one’s will to Allah (swt). Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one’s will to the will of the Supreme Creator, Allah (set).

Muslims ruled Spain for about 800 years. The Muslims in Spain never used the sword to force the people to convert. Later the Christian Crusaders came to Spain and wiped out the Muslims. There was not a single Muslim in Spain who could openly give the adhan, that is the call for prayers.

Also, Muslims were the lords of Arabia for 1400 years. For a few years the British ruled, and for a few years the French ruled. Overall, the Muslims ruled Arabia for 1400 years. Yet today, there are 14 million Arabs who are Coptic Christians i.e. Christians since generations. If the Muslims had used the sword there would not have been a single Arab who would have remained a Christian.

The Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years. If they wanted, they had the power of converting each and every non-Muslim of India to Islam. Today more than 80% of the population of India are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Indians are bearing witness today that Islam was not spread by the sword.

Indonesia is a country that has the maximum number of Muslims in the world. The majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. May one ask, "Which Muslim army went to Indonesia and Malaysia?"

-Increase in the world religions from 1934 to 1984.

An article in Reader’s Digest ‘Almanac’ year book 1986, gave the statistics of the increase of percentage of the major religions of the world in half a century from 1934 to 1984. This article also appeared in ‘The Plain Truth’ magazine. At the top was Islam, which increased by 235%, and Christianity had increased only by 47%. May one ask, which war took place in this century which converted millions of people to Islam?

Yes, it is the sword of intellect. The sword that conquers the hearts and minds of people. The Qur’an says in Surah Nahl, chapter 16 verse 125:

"Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord
with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are
best and most gracious
."
[Al-Qur’an 16:125]

Today the fastest growing religion in America is Islam. The fastest growing religion in Europe is Islam. Which sword is forcing people in the West to accept Islam in such large numbers?

Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson rightly says, "People who worry that nuclear weaponry will one day fall in the hands of the Arabs, fail to realize that the Islamic bomb has been dropped already, it fell the day MUHAMMED (pbuh) was born".

Do you know how many times the word Sword is mentioned in Holy Bible and Holy Quran ?

The word "sword" appears over 200 times in the Bible - but even though the Arabic language has more than a dozen words for sword, there is not a single occurrence of any of these words anywhere in the Quran.

Jesus called upon his followers to sell their coats and buy swords. He explained that he did not come with peace, but rather a sword. He and his companions were engaged in mortal combat with their enemies, the Pharisees when one of the priests slaves had his ear cut by the sword. Jesus then told them to put down their swords. This is mentioned in the Bible.

Islam is often referd to by Muslims as the religion of peace , i just wanted to know why that is , surely for something to get that label it must have done something very peaceful , so what was that ?

The founder of islam -Muhammed spread islam by the sword , before that islam did not spread but after Muhammed took to the sword and got an army behind him , he became a political warlord.i mean i can understand Christianity receiving that label as its founder -Jesus was crucified for no fault and lived a life of peace and love that many chrisitans follow.

It seems as alot of muslism around the world today or simpy following Muhammed as there seems to be alot of violence linked with islam and i dont think thasts just the media.##So waht has Islam done regarding peace to get the lable as the religion of peace , its a very simple question - i hope i will get an intelligent response.

Many thanks for your time

Actually Islam is a religion of peace, but only after every body is converted to Islam and there won't be any infidels left.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What makes Islam a religion of peace

The character, deeds and the teachings of Muhammad make Islam a religion of peace.
G-d sent Muhammad to establish peace in the world and he was successful in his mission, so he must be remembered as the Prince of Peace.
Muhammad was able to establish peace in the world only because he was given a Recitation (Quran) that made his mission possible without Quran it would have been impossible. With Quran/Islam/Muhammad a new era of knowledge and peace ushered in. He turned the wheel of peace in motion. Peace within and peace without.
Regards

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
In continuation to above post, the aspect of continuity of reminding the already completed guidance makes Islam unique in terms of peace.

Elaboration:
All religions come to establish connection with God and to establish human rights. But as time passes from the founder (Prophet / Messenger) corruption and weakness of various types find their way in the religion. If God desires, He sends reformers within that religion, otherwise it become a garden without gardner.

Islam was blessed with reformers at the start of centuries [Mujaddedeen: Plural of Mujaddid i.e. reformer] and other pious servants of faith who struggled to keep the torch alive.

But the latter-days weakness were going to be of celestial heights (huge) and proportionally now a grand reformer was needed. His coming was prophesied by founder of Islam The Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him). The reformer was to be guided by God................. According to Ahmadiyya-Muslims, Holy Prophet (pbuh) was telling about an ardent devotee of him titled as Promised Messiah Mahdi [Mahdi means the guided one] who has come, and after him, his Khilafat continues his work by the grace of God.

Hence on one hand, to establish peace within:
Ahmadiyya Messiah Mahdi (on whom be peace) reminded Muslims to not get involved in wars on the name of religion. He taught to do Jihad-of-self-correction which is the need of this era.

To establish peace externally:
Ahmadiyya Messiah Mahdi (a.s.) taught to bring the basic message of Islam to the corners of the world. for this, various methods are being used since the beginning of the Community in 1889.....The current Khalifah (may Allah be his Helper) of Promised Messiah Mahdi (on whom be peace) addressed to all worldly powers to come to real-peace and save the world from war.

World Crisis and the Pathway to Peace
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/World-Crisis-and-Pathway-to-Peace.pdf

Thus the unique capability of peace through Islam is its evergreenery by the Hands of God the Exalted.

Holy Quran:
[ch14:v25] Dost thou not see how Allah sets forth the similitude of a good word? It is like a good tree, whose root is firm and whose branches reach into heaven.

[ch14:v26] It brings forth its fruit at all times by the command of its Lord. And Allah sets forth similitudes for people that they may reflect.

Peace be on all.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Actually Islam/Muslims is a religion of peace, but only after every body is converted to Islam and there won't be any infidels left.

There is no such concept in Quran- the first and the foremost source of guidance of Islam, whatever the denomination.
Regards

Last edited:

mojtaba

I think that these two verses are the answer:

Holy Qur'an, Chapter 60:

8.Allah does not forbid you from dealing with kindness and justice with those who did not make war against you on account of religion and did not expel you from your homes. Indeed Allah loves the just.

9.Allah forbids you only in regard to those who made war against you on account of religion and expelled you from your homes and supported in your expulsion, that you make friends with them, and whoever makes friends with them—it is they who are the wrongdoers.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I gotta admit, I could make it through only the first 3 pages of this thread. As an anti-theist I think the following summary is both accurate and delightful:

Q: Why is Islam called a religion of peace?
A: Well Christianity is every bit as violent as Islam!

Hooray!