• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes somebody atheist and not a theist?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Everyone starts out atheist. It's the epistemic default.

A better question would be: What makes someone a theist? How does one become completely convinced of something with so little objective evidence, so many different variations, and so many fantastical, counter-intuitive claims?
I doubt this given our biology.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Well, I asked a newborn and a rock if it believed in god and I got no response, so what are we to assume?
I assume neither are capable of meaningful cognition in order to come to an opinion. I might also assume that if you are talking to a rock you are mentally ill. :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I doubt this given our biology.
I doubt the study really shows what it intends to. Most humans are prone to superstition (there are mutants like I am) but very few would come up with a god concept on their own. The "natural" superstition seems to be some kind of animism as we see that mostly with primitive cultures.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Speaking for myself? I don't find the god concepts I've been presented convincing enough to believe in as literal, objective truths

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Once they render the term meaningless by removing any and all actual content (that they would have to defend) the term itself becomes irrelevant. So sure rocks and unicorns and babies are all "atheists". Why not? And yet they continue to assert their own atheism it as if it represents some great wisdom and truth on their part.

It's ridiculous.
Atheists rarely "assert." They speak up in response to the endless assertions of theists.