• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes your God a God?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Apologies ─ I missed it.

As far as I know, the only manner in which supernatural beings, including of course gods, are known to exist is as concepts, notions, things imagined in individual brains.

But since this view is not universal, I'm curious about God as others may see [him]. [He] usually is described in imaginary terms, like omniscient, omnipotent, infinite, eternal &c, instead of say male, 6 ft 4, brown hair, bipedal, four limbs each with five digits &c &c. So it seems fair to interrogate these views, with such questions as the one I put to you ─ how can a being be said to be omniscient if we don't know how [he] knows there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know?
Ok well, please find it and answer the question I asked you. (Post 74)

You don't believe the bible is true, but I do, and the bible tells me that God is omniscient:

Psalm 147:5, I John 3:20, Isaiah 40:28 to name a few of the many verses that say He is all knowing. There are many more, however.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

You don't believe the bible is true, but I do, and the bible tells me that God is omniscient:

Psalm 147:5, I John 3:20, Isaiah 40:28 to name a few of the many verses that say He is all knowing. There are many more, however.

Well, if you treat the Bible as true, then yes, it tells you something.
I don't know one way or another, so I don't care as me about the Bible.

But then if I have to have a belief in a God I am a deist and not a theist, so there is that.
In other words I can claim that it is not about the Bible, but that God has given us reason and we can figure it out that way.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I answered it in #75.

My RSV says Psalm 147.5 reads "... his understanding is beyond measure"; in Isaiah 40:28 "... his understanding is unsearchable"; neither of which is a claim of omniscience, However in I John 3:20 "he knows everything" (rendering "καὶ γινώσκει πάντα" in TR). So of your quotes, the ones in the Tanakh don't claim omniscience; nor as far as I'm aware do Paul or the authors of the gospels, but it's not a point I've researched. Instead I'm simply familiar with the allegation that God is omniscient (as well as omnipotent, infinite, eternal, perfect, &c &c &c &c). God is also said to be benevolent, but [his] track record in reality allows us to dismiss that claim out of hand.

Kathryn

I answered it in #75.

My RSV says Psalm 147.5 reads "... his understanding is beyond measure"; in Isaiah 40:28 "... his understanding is unsearchable"; neither of which is a claim of omniscience, However in I John 3:20 "he knows everything" (rendering "καὶ γινώσκει πάντα" in TR). So of your quotes, the ones in the Tanakh don't claim omniscience; nor as far as I'm aware do Paul or the authors of the gospels, but it's not a point I've researched. Instead I'm simply familiar with the allegation that God is omniscient (as well as omnipotent, infinite, eternal, perfect, &c &c &c &c). God is also said to be benevolent, but [his] track record in reality allows us to dismiss that claim out of hand.

I don't think so, not in the big picture, and no you didn't answer my question.

Kathryn

What different forms? Describe them. Be specific, if this really happens.

I think many underestimate themselves.
It does really happen and it's usually simply a voice and/or a sense of Something being there. And I am a very logical person, too logical for many people.

It does really happen and it's usually simply a voice and/or a sense of Something being there. And I am a very logical person, too logical for many people.

“Watch what you say, they’ll be calling you a radical, a liberal, a fanatical criminal”

The Logical Song with Lyrics by Roger Hodgson (formerly of Supertramp)​