• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What proof do you have of God?

Ashir

Please, if you know you can't debate well or have not looked into philosophy much, I ask that you do not post, no offense.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Divine deity seems a bit redundant, but...

If your looking for objective empirical evidence, there is none.
Most reasonable believers rely on faith alone, or faith supported by subjective evidence.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Please, if you know you can't debate well or have not looked into philosophy much, I ask that you do not post, no offense.
What proof is there that there isn't one (God or some other god)? The answer is very simple, and actually answers your question as well. There simply is none. Thus, to make a definite statement either way, that there is no God, or that there is God, is stepping beyond the realms of what we can know for sure, and is making a statement of faith.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
This seems like a new and interesting topic.

Are you wondering if there is proof that God exists? Because that's fairly easy. This thread is proof that God exists. Otherwise, it would be impossible to talk about it. Then again, you are probably looking for something more than that, eh?

mycorrhiza

I'm going to guess that you mean supernatural diety, as "divine diety" is just a synonym to the word god.

There is no scientific evidence, but there is emotional evidence. I didn't believe in God back when I was a Christian because the evidence pointed towards His existence. I believed because it comforted me, and I had a quite powerful experience during the eucharist which, together with some answered prayers (which I now attribute to coincidence and confirmation bias) was enough evidence for me.

Religious beliefs only stand really strong when they're beyond scientific evidence. As soon as we venture into the field of science, falsifiability applies.

Ashir

What proof is there that there isn't one (God or some other god)? The answer is very simple, and actually answers your question as well. There simply is none. Thus, to make a definite statement either way, that there is no God, or that there is God, is stepping beyond the realms of what we can know for sure, and is making a statement of faith.

When did I say there was? That is why I'm an agnostic atheist. This is not an answer to my question and it is invalid against me; I believe neither.

This seems like a new and interesting topic.

Are you wondering if there is proof that God exists? Because that's fairly easy. This thread is proof that God exists. Otherwise, it would be impossible to talk about it. Then again, you are probably looking for something more than that, eh?

Is he real. You lot are so picky with words

Ashir

I'm going to guess that you mean supernatural diety, as "divine diety" is just a synonym to the word god.

There is no scientific evidence, but there is emotional evidence. I didn't believe in God back when I was a Christian because the evidence pointed towards His existence. I believed because it comforted me, and I had a quite powerful experience during the eucharist which, together with some answered prayers (which I now attribute to coincidence and confirmation bias) was enough evidence for me.

Religious beliefs only stand really strong when they're beyond scientific evidence. As soon as we venture into the field of science, falsifiability applies.

I'm looking for scientific arguments/evidence, not 'he's in my heart'.

Curious George

Veteran Member
A divine deity, and something that supports a theory/fact. I'll take arguments too.

assuming you do not mind me taking on another person's beliefs to engage you:

Logic itself would be a proof of the existence of a divine deity

Logic exists as a system of principals. These principals unlike the laws of physics govern both tangible and intangible concepts. Therefore, logic must exist conceptually.

Since logic exists as a concept, some consciousness must exist in order to retain or reflect that concept. Without such knowledge would not be possible. Hence, some consciousness must have always existed.

mycorrhiza

I'm looking for scientific arguments/evidence, not 'he's in my heart'.

Then you will find none, just like you will find none that a God in general doesn't exist. When it comes to my "God", aka the Universe itself, then the scientific evidence is quite compelling, though :D.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
When did I say there was? That is why I'm an agnostic atheist. This is not an answer to my question and it is invalid against me; I believe neither.
I didn't say you did. I simply approached answering your question with another.

What you are asking for here simply is not going to be provided. There is no scientific evidence. There is nothing more than personal feelings, and those don't count as they are nothing but personal.

This question is asked very often on these forums, and the answer always becomes, there is no evidence. Belief in God is based on faith.

Gui10

Why are yall asking the author of this topic to ''define this, define that''. Its an open ended question, answer however you want to.

I, personnaly, have no proof for god.

Ashir

I didn't say you did. I simply approached answering your question with another.

What you are asking for here simply is not going to be provided. There is no scientific evidence. There is nothing more than personal feelings, and those don't count as they are nothing but personal.

This question is asked very often on these forums, and the answer always becomes, there is no evidence. Belief in God is based on faith.
Faith is belief without evidence. You admit proudly that you believe in something without evidence?
You insinuated it, or at least that's my perception. Why would you do that if you knew it was an invalid query?

assuming you do not mind me taking on another person's beliefs to engage you:

Logic itself would be a proof of the existence of a divine deity

Logic exists as a system of principals. These principals unlike the laws of physics govern both tangible and intangible concepts. Therefore, logic must exist conceptually.

Since logic exists as a concept, some consciousness must exist in order to retain or reflect that concept. Without such knowledge would not be possible. Hence, some consciousness must have always existed.
I think you know what I really meant.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Faith is belief without evidence. You admit proudly that you believe in something without evidence?
You insinuated it, or at least that's my perception. Why would you do that if you knew it was an invalid query?
Yes, I believe in something without evidence. Why? Because I want to. In this specific case (and it stands alone), I find comfort in my belief.

The Bible is constantly talking about faith and the value of faith. So it is no wonder why faith is so important in a belief of God.

Now, as long as no evidence contradict my belief, then there really is no problem.

Ashir

It's just surprising that you admit you're delusional. Does that not render your beliefs illogical?