• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What proof do you have of God?

Ashir

It's like me saying the sun is just a burning block of cheese. It's illogical and it doesn't make sense.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
God has not yet been adequately defined for this debate.

"Divine" is a somewhat vague term, and "deity" could refer to statues of Gods, which definitely exist, or deified humans, which also definitely exist.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, here, I'm honestly trying to understand what you mean when you say "God", so I can answer the question.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I think you know what I really meant.

I figured you wanted to engage in philosophical and logical debate, I used a combination of Plato's Forms with the Transcendental Argument in order to offer a proof that is hard to disprove and if nothing else offers much for us all to ponder. The idea is that most counter-arguments one comes up with begs the question and therefore cannot stand against it. I am not saying there is none, however this hybrid takes away some of Martins ground in countering the Transcendental Argument and I am not as sure you could find an answer with just google so, you would have to put some critical thinking skills to work. Moreover, if you use google then you will still have to read and research and hopefully expand the breadth of your knowledge. Either way, the argument stands. Get to work. your turn to counter. :D

mycorrhiza

Absolutely.

I have faith that the world is the naturalistic world we know and not just a computer simulation. Am I delusional?

I have faith that the Universe is cyclic in some way or that there have been other Universes before ours. Am I delusional?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
It's like me saying the sun is just a burning block of cheese. It's illogical and it doesn't make sense.
False analogy.:rolleyes:

We know what the sun is made of and how it operates.

There is a huge difference between denying reality and personal faith.

Although I suppose if one were to have faith in a huge burning block of cheese, that would indeed be unreasonable, as it is in direct opposition to reality.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It's just surprising that you admit you're delusional. Does that not render your beliefs illogical?
Yes, my belief (singular), in God is illogical. Meaning simply that it isn't based on logic. Yet, it also isn't contradicted by logic, or is it contradicted by any other evidence. So it hardly is delusional.

Faith does not equal delusion.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Actually, yes, in my book.

Seriously, either you all know what I mean or you're outright stupid. When we stop twisting words and blanketing their palpable meaning I'll get back to this

I have a feeling I am going to be dealing with a lot of ad hominem arguments from you.

Ashir

False analogy.:rolleyes:

We know what the sun is made of and how it operates.

There is a huge difference between denying reality and personal faith.

Although I suppose if one were to have faith in a huge burning block of cheese, that would indeed be unreasonable, as it is in direct opposition to reality.

My philosophy dictates that we can't 'know' anything, so it's valid in my eyes.

mycorrhiza

Pretty much.
Not really. I don't have 'faith' in anything, or at least I haven't detected it.

If you take a stance in metaphysics or of the existence of God, then you have faith. The only way to lack faith is to be completely neutral to every single philosophical idea.

I'm not saying that it's the same faith as the faith in a God, but it's still faith nonetheless.

Ashir

this thread can be closed, I found another that fits this purpose and isn't infected with nitpickers.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Use the quote button so we know who you're talking to. It's at the bottom right of the post you're responding to.

Actually, yes, in my book.

So, in various ways, we're all delusional?

That makes the word virtually meaningless.

Seriously, either you all know what I mean or you're outright stupid. When we stop twisting words and blanketing their palpable meaning I'll get back to this
So, the fact that you're not adequately explaining what you mean is an indication that we're either teasing you or are stupid?

Let me give you a few definitions of God for you to pick from:

Forces of nature
Ancestors
(for the following four, "deified" basically means "someone/something greatly loved to the point of 100% devotion and trust)
Deified Kings
Deified persons
Deified objects
Deified concepts
The total Aggregate of all things
Whatever is "beyond" the universe
Whatever is "inside" the universe
Whatever was "before" time
A Creator of all things
A granter of wishes
A group of non-physical, yet self-aware and intelligent entities, or just one.
Aliens

I'm sure there's a few that I'm forgetting, but those are the big ones.

Now do you see why it's important to define your terms so we know what you're talking about?

Curious George

Veteran Member
My philosophy dictates that we can't 'know' anything, so it's valid in my eyes.

Alright- If you have a background in philosophy you should understand the problem with that sentence. I am quickly beginning to believe that you just wanted to get some religious folks all hot and bothered in order to find some gits and shiggles. Sorry to disappoint, I thought you wanted to have intelligent discussion.