• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to you constitutes "modest" dress?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
On the other hand the burka is the precise opposite of modesty even if worn voluntarily because the wearer is trying to show off moral superiority.

I'm not a great fan of modesty in women, men, or domestic animals, but I doubt that every woman who wears a burka is intent on showing off her virtue.

TommyDar

I'm not a great fan of modesty in women, men, or domestic animals, but I doubt that every woman who wears a burka is intent on showing off her virtue.

Many women are forced to wear it by their husbands, but if they choose to wear it more often they are openly flaunting their religion for others to see.

But another important point is being forced to do something is not individual modesty. A person can be confident, indepndent and free-thinking while still being modest in their actions and attitude.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Topless woman casually mowing her lawn on a hot day -- modest.
Woman in tiny tube top and mini skirt walking by the house -- immodest.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
In some cultures, wearing a garment that is long is considered "showy," and flaunting wealth.

Treks

What I found odd is that clothing seems to be deteriorating all the time. Sure, fashions change, and in modern times nobody would wear something that somebody wore in the 1600's, nonetheless, until very recently the way one dressed expressed spiritual and cultural identity.

Sadly, even convicts in the 20's dressed better than most people today.

By "dressed better" do you mean "more modestly"?

I'm sure we can find plenty of examples throughout history where people certain cultures or fashions revealed more or less skin at different times.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Modesty is a pejorative word
It implies and is used to indicate that modesty is in some way "Better" "Preferred" or "Correct"

When it comes to dress it seems reasonable to dress in a socially appropriate way for the given circumstances.
There is no absolute standard of "Modesty" for all occasions.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm curious when people say that it doesn't matter, is there no limit at all?
It all depends on the context and the circumstances. I would expect people who go to a holy site or a place of worship to conform to the accepted standards. But when people walk the streets on a hot day, there is no reason for them not to be as casual and comfortable as they see fit.
I'm not talking about more 'radical' examples. I'm thinking more in the line of bikini is acceptable on beaches (or topless if that's what you want), nudism is acceptable in a nudist beach, shorts and short tops on a hot day, etc. In other words, I don't see any problem with people showing some skin, or wearing flattering clothes.

Wherenextcolumbus

It doesn't matter if its cold and I'm wearing loads of layers or its hot and I'm showing legs, my hair will always take the spotlight away from what I'm wearing.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I think men and woman should dress as slutty as possible,

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I appreciated a beach where there were Muslim women with full body swimsuits, as well as topless sunbathers over to the sides, sort of not in the middle of the family crowd, yet everyone got along.

My personal sense is pretty traditional ... no sleeveless blouses, no short skirts on women or shorts on men, no cleavage. But that's just me.

It's also a matter of just getting used to things. Here in this cold land, everyone dresses totally all winter. Then you go to a tropical paradise and there is clothing shock for a couple of days, but you get used to it.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It all depends on the context and the circumstances.

Depending on the place, there would be a limit in your mind what minimum is acceptable. That's what I meant, do some people think everything goes anywhere? Should it be okay to wear almost nothing in a place like a mall?

Is there any genuine concerns with people being half naked? A few examples:
-Nothing is left for the imagination anymore.
-There's also the issue of girls taking adults as role models, little girls wanting to emulate them. That results in them wearing innapropriate clothes and attracting unwanted attention.
Ect.

I was expecting some to be very enthusiastic about wearing next to nothing but ever thought there might be consequences? What could they be?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
launch

If this picture works, here is reasonable dress. ;)

NB..... as usual.... didn't work!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think it is telling that the concept of modesty in clothing almost exclusively refers to women. It sounds to me more of a method of controlling woman, and their bodies, than anything to do with actual modesty.

Wherenextcolumbus

I think it is telling that the concept of modesty in clothing almost exclusively refers to women. It sounds to me more of a method of controlling woman, and their bodies, than anything to do with actual modesty.

Yeah this is true, we have filthy bodies and smelly vaginas :rolleyes: