• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was Jesus reading?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hello,

What were Jesus Christ's favorite books?

When I first thought of this question, I was contemplating which books of the OT were Jesus' favorites. However, I decided to open the question to include any books to increase the opportunity for diverse answers, perspectives, and contributions.

Thank you,

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Hmmm...he was writing on the ground when he was asked about that adulteress lady and if she should be stoned...

So maybe he was writing something from one his favorite book? Idk

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Isaiah, Psalms, and Proverbs.

Isaiah, I think is the foundation of Jesus's theology, which is supported by Psalms and Proverbs. Using these three books alone, I can, more or less, make a straight line connecting the Hebrew Bible to the Gospels. That why they're my pick for Jesus Christ's favorite books.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Hmmm...he was writing on the ground when he was asked about that adulteress lady and if she should be stoned...

So maybe he was writing something from one his favorite book? Idk
Ive heard folk theorized he was writing the 10 commandments

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I should have added Exodus, also, since on the question of divorce presented to him in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus stated Moses had been very lenient.

Betho_br

Lamentations 3:30 (NIV): "Let him offer his cheek to one who would strike him, and let him be filled with disgrace."

Luke 6:29 (NIV): "If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them."

Certainly, the book that Jesus read the most is Sirach (ECCLESIASTICUS)

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Certainly, the book that Jesus read the most is Sirach (ECCLESIASTICUS)

Interesting choice. I haven't read it recently. It has a somber tone? But ends well? If I recall. Do you have a preferred translation?

Betho_br

Interesting choice. I haven't read it recently. It has a somber tone? But ends well? If I recall. Do you have a preferred translation?
Generally, I do not trust translations; they are merely a compass. When the text is in Hebrew, as is the case with Ecclesiasticus, and it is translated into Greek, my skepticism only increases.

Ecclesiasticus King James Version (KJV)

The Hebrew text of Ben Sira (Ecclesiasticus)

Conleth Kearns
The Expanded Text of Ecclesiasticus
Its Teaching on the Future Life as a Clue to Its Origin

SIRÁCIDA ou ECLESIÁSTICO

RestlessSoul

I don’t know what books Jesus was reading, but the writers of the Gospels were certainly familiar with The Psalms, Isaiah, Genesis and, in the case of John, probably Plato and Aristotle (In the beginning was the Logos).