• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was Jesus reading?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
King James Version (KJV)

Some Christians I've met are devoted religiously to the KJV. Does that describe you accurately? In your opinion and judgement is the KJV the only proper translation for any of the books in the Bible collection?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello,

What were Jesus Christ's favorite books?

When I first thought of this question, I was contemplating which books of the OT were Jesus' favorites. However, I decided to open the question to include any books to increase the opportunity for diverse answers, perspectives, and contributions.

Thank you,
Historians question if he even was literate.
But if Jesus existed, at least one of the people, the biblical version is based on, must have been well-read. He must have had studied the Torah and probably some Greek and Persian philosophy and theology.

Betho_br

Some Christians I've met are devoted religiously to the KJV. Does that describe you accurately? In your opinion and judgement is the KJV the only proper translation for any of the books in the Bible collection?
No, I only use the KJV for convenience. I could have used the original Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible (1582 & 1610). The KJV is to Protestants what the Patriarchal Edition of the Byzantine Text (1904) is to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.

Beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself. — Luke 24:27
Dr. Luke (Colossians 4:14) found that Jesus translated the Scriptures

And the opponents of Christianity, therefore considered historical witnesses who cannot be dismissed, in Pliny's letter to Emperor Trajan, testified that there was a community that worshiped/ venerated a Christ as God/god.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I think most probably his primary or core “library” would have been the Hebrew texts local to the region

Most probably

But I often wonder the other influences also

Now Gnosticism, formally was established after Yeshua, and so although the Gnostics may have taken on board some of Yeshuas teachings, he himself may not have been influenced by the more esoteric… maybe

He probably unknowingly was influenced by Sumerian, Babylonian, And Egyptian beliefs, considering Genesis, Adam and Eve, Noah etc can all be traced back to the Sumerians

He most likely would have had some influence from the Romans and Greeks, in terms of the pantheon, the philosophy they brought with them

Valentian, Sethian philosophies are a possible influence also

Earlier Hindu, or Indian influence MAY have been passed to the region via the trade routes, so there may well have been cultural and religious exchanges

Ofcourse he wouldn’t have been influenced by anything Islamic, as Islam was established 600 years after Christ

Maybe some early form of Bhuddism, but again probably not

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
other influences

Galilee was a melting pot? Perhaps even ... a crucible? Very diverse. Cosmopolitan if I understand correctly. Artisans, markets, commerce.

The word Galilee? Gal, means a "pile", but the other alternative definitions are also pretty interesting to consider:

1721920087772.png

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Now Gnosticism, formally was established after Yeshua, and so although the Gnostics may have taken on board some of Yeshuas teachings, he himself may not have been influenced by the more esoteric… maybe

"Influenced by...."

For me? I carefully distinguish between "influenced by" and "realizing the same universal truths".

christos

"Influenced by...."

For me? I carefully distinguish between "influenced by" and "realizing the same universal truths".
Ah yeah I suppose that’s right

Perhaps if there is some universal truth, then ofcourse some may independently arrive to similar conclusions

I can see that being plausible

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
some may independently arrive to similar conclusions

It's more likely, I think, in this case, that the wisdom existed in various underdeveloped forms. Then two or more great thinkers find themselves in the same place at the same time and they work together as a team.

There's also the converse, where the parties find themselves in the same place at the same time, and as a team they both find fault in each other's ideas. The contrast reinforces, developed, and brings definition, texture, to their previously undeveloped ideas.

If both are happening simultaneously, then, there will be a great deal of crossover, but, the parties may arrive at completely opposite conclusions.

Correct me? Most gnostics conclude that reality emerged from chaos and nothingness? Jesus preached about a heavenly Father who possessed everything is creating everything, is omnipresent and orderly? Two opposing conclusions, with various crossovers and similarities on their journey before they take sharp turns in opposing directions?

christos

It's more likely, I think, in this case, that the wisdom existed in various underdeveloped forms. Then two or more great thinkers find themselves in the same place at the same time and they work together as a team.

There's also the converse, where the parties find themselves in the same place at the same time, and as a team they both find fault in each other's ideas. The contrast reinforces, developed, and brings definition, texture, to their previously undeveloped ideas.

If both are happening simultaneously, then, there will be a great deal of crossover, but, the parties may arrive at completely opposite conclusions.

Correct me? Most gnostics conclude that reality emerged from chaos and nothingness? Jesus preached about a heavenly Father who possessed everything is creating everything, is omnipresent and orderly? Two opposing conclusions, with various crossovers and similarities on their journey before they take sharp turns in opposing directions?
I think if I have it right, I’ll cut it as short as possible

The gnostics believe that the universe is created by a lesser being, the demiurge Sophia/wisdom, and she made it with the intention of being representative of God

But it’s a inherently flawed creation and so she repents for her flawed creation

The demiurges appear in the Sumerian Adam and Eve stories, as creator, but they’re described as the SATAM or administrators

They act effectively as oppressors of mankind, and sought to keep them spiritually blind and mortal

The serpent is a dominant character in both the Sumerian and agnostic narrative

In that it’s the serpent in those stories that encourage humans to break free of the material flaws and seek gnosis and salvation

Which is why when I read the life of Christ and compare the old and New Testament God

I conclude, but cannot know for certain

The Old Testament God is not the father and is instead a lesser entity and the purpose of Christ was to reveal the Father

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Hello,

When I first thought of this question, I was contemplating which books of the OT were Jesus' favorites. However, I decided to open the question to include any books to increase the opportunity for diverse answers, perspectives, and contributions.

Thank you,
Why couldn't it have been something funny and whimsical? Like, what if he was reading Lysistrata?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Hello,

Thank you,
He quotes from Deuteronomy six times, more than any other book. Good choice, as Deuteronomy is a kind of summary of the Torah. On the other hand, maybe he had a soft spot for the Velveteen Rabbit. :)

IndigoChild5559

Show me? Please?
Matthew 4:4 / Luke 4:4 - During the temptation in the wilderness:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 8:3: "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

Matthew 4:7 / Luke 4:12 - Again during the temptation in the wilderness:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:16: "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test."

Matthew 4:10 / Luke 4:8 - During the third temptation in the wilderness:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:13: "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve."

Matthew 5:31 - In the Sermon on the Mount regarding divorce:
Jesus references Deuteronomy 24:1-4.
  1. "When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house,
  2. when she has departed from his house, and goes and becomes another man's wife,
  3. if the latter husband detests her and writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her as his wife,
  4. then her former husband who divorced her must not take her back to be his wife after she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the Lord, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance."

Matthew 18:16 - When teaching about resolving disputes:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 19:15: "Every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses."

Matthew 22:37 / Mark 12:30 / Luke 10:27 - When asked about the greatest commandment:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:5: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Matthew 4:4 / Luke 4:4 - During the temptation in the wilderness:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 8:3: "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

Matthew 4:7 / Luke 4:12 - Again during the temptation in the wilderness:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:16: "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test."

Matthew 4:10 / Luke 4:8 - During the third temptation in the wilderness:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:13: "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve."

Matthew 5:31 - In the Sermon on the Mount regarding divorce:
Jesus references Deuteronomy 24:1-4.

Matthew 18:16 - When teaching about resolving disputes:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 19:15: "Every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses."

Matthew 22:37 / Mark 12:30 / Luke 10:27 - When asked about the greatest commandment:
Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:5: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."

Excellent. Thank you.

IndigoChild5559

The author was anti-Jewish.
I don't know of any evidence to indicate that Margery Williams was antisemitic.
You'd need to read the other book. Oh... I need to recall the name. The rat named Shmuel bakes the innocent kitten in the oven, wrapped in pastry.
Beatrice Potter? No. Beatrix. Here it is. Samuel whiskers. I had a copy of it. But I gave it my uncle.

Now why would you bring that up?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Now why would you bring that up?

LOL. I'm sorry. I'm remembering the wrong story. Hee-hee. Oh dear. What's the story of the little rabbit who sneaks into the garden and steals?

He had 3 sisters? Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail... and.... PETER! Ooopsie. Good Morning.

IndigoChild5559

LOL. I'm sorry. I'm remembering the wrong story. Hee-hee. Oh dear. What's the story of the little rabbit who sneaks into the garden and steals?

He had 3 sisters? Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail... and.... PETER! Ooopsie. Good Morning.
It's about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a child. He is given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, but is initially overlooked among the many toys, especially the mechanical ones. However, over time, he becomes the boy's best friend. The rabbit learns from the wise Skin Horse that realness comes from being truly loved. Eventually, after the boy recovers from scarlet fever and the rabbit is set aside to be burned for sanitation, a magical fairy transforms him into a real rabbit, allowing him to scurry off into the wild.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
It's about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a child. He is given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, but is initially overlooked among the many toys, especially the mechanical ones. However, over time, he becomes the boy's best friend. The rabbit learns from the wise Skin Horse that realness comes from being truly loved. Eventually, after the boy recovers from scarlet fever and the rabbit is set aside to be burned for sanitation, a magical fairy transforms him into a real rabbit, allowing him to scurry off into the wild.
That book! I vaguely have memory of it. I haven't thought of that book in years.

Nostalgia. I loved that book as a young child.

Edit: sorry for butting in i just got excited and happy cuz I loved that book and havent thought of it in years...and now I know the title of it.

Last edited: