• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was Jesus reading?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The question appears to assume that Jesus could read

@Betho_br reminded me. There is a passage in the Gospels where Jesus is called to read from Isaiah in shul ( Temple / synagogue ). It's also in Luke but earlier.

Luke 4 ( emphasis mine )

16 Then Jesus came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. As was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath. And when He stood up to read ( ἀναγνῶναι ). 17 the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. Unrolling it, He found the place where it was written:
18“The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed,19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”​

20 Then He rolled up the scroll, returned it to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fixed on Him, 21 and He began by saying, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

ἀναγνῶναι

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Betho_br reminded me. There is a passage in the Gospels where Jesus is called to read from Isaiah in shul ( Temple / synagogue ). It's also in Luke but earlier.

Luke 4 ( emphasis mine )

16 Then Jesus came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. As was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath. And when He stood up to read ( ἀναγνῶναι ). 17 the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. Unrolling it, He found the place where it was written:
18“The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed,19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”​

20 Then He rolled up the scroll, returned it to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fixed on Him, 21 and He began by saying, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

ἀναγνῶναι

Good find. So Luke's Jesus can read. Thanks.

I'd be interested to know if there are any such clear claims for the Jesuses of Mark, Matthew or John, since I'm not aware of any.

I'd say the question is still at large as to whether the historical Jesus could read, of course, and it's still possible but still not probable.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I'd be interested to know if there are any such clear claims for the Jesuses of Mark, Matthew or John, since I'm not aware of any.

I'd say the question is still at large as to whether the historical Jesus could read, of course, and it's still possible but still not probable.

I agree 100%. It fits. Let's suppose that Jesus is an uber-talented young man. Passionate. Loving. Brilliant. But wasn't born in the right family. He wasn't a levite. Wasn't able to participate in the temple service. He didn't go to scribal school, and he was not included with the Pharisees. He sees all of the corruption politically and religiously and eventually takes action against it the only way he knows how. He's right about so many things, but! There are gaps. His knowledge is not complete. And that is why we Jews are able to rather easily object to the claims that Jesus is our messiah, that Jesus is the "perfect" sacrifice, and certainly that Jesus is God incarnate. There's too many things he didn't know and didn't do perfectly. If only he had lived long enough to write us a book? Or work with a scribe to help him write a book.

Let's take it one step further. If he couldn't read, and he had scripture memorized such that he could quote it on the fly as needed to teach the simple ones, the wise ones, the educated, the uneducated, the corrupt, and the pious? All of them?? On a case by case basis??? That's the sign of a genius. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Betho_br

All books of the Christian Bible are at some level complex. My personal opinion is that the Gospel of Matthew aimed at the Jews is the least biased, however there are small errors in writing, interpretation, among others. Doctor Lucas tried hard, but not all of the data was accurate or we still hadn't figured out how to interpret it. However, the Roman Empire was interested in having Jesus "translating" and "reading scriptures" after the destruction of Jerusalem. One thing is certain, Jesus has a good memory, he grew up and lived close to and listening to the wise Jews.

alf

Hello,

What were Jesus Christ's favorite books?

When I first thought of this question, I was contemplating which books of the OT were Jesus' favorites. However, I decided to open the question to include any books to increase the opportunity for diverse answers, perspectives, and contributions.

What were Jesus Christ's favorite books?

Thank you,
Spiritual books only testify to the existence of a person's physical to spiritual transformation.
All people who are in the first bodily stage, they are with the soul like a woman, they receive knowledge, they learn. A spiritual man is like a male, he sows seeds, knowledge-wisdom.

When asked what Jesus read, the answer is nothing. From him springs water that quenches every thirst for wisdom that carnal people have.