• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was Jesus reading?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a child. He is given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, but is initially overlooked among the many toys, especially the mechanical ones. However, over time, he becomes the boy's best friend. The rabbit learns from the wise Skin Horse that realness comes from being truly loved. Eventually, after the boy recovers from scarlet fever and the rabbit is set aside to be burned for sanitation, a magical fairy transforms him into a real rabbit, allowing him to scurry off into the wild.

Pinocchio?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hello,

What were Jesus Christ's favorite books?

When I first thought of this question, I was contemplating which books of the OT were Jesus' favorites. However, I decided to open the question to include any books to increase the opportunity for diverse answers, perspectives, and contributions.

Thank you,
I don't think books existed in that era. They first appeared I hear about a century later after the mythological death of Christ.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a child. He is given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, but is initially overlooked among the many toys, especially the mechanical ones. However, over time, he becomes the boy's best friend. The rabbit learns from the wise Skin Horse that realness comes from being truly loved. Eventually, after the boy recovers from scarlet fever and the rabbit is set aside to be burned for sanitation, a magical fairy transforms him into a real rabbit, allowing him to scurry off into the wild.

What about this?

1722184494242.png

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Is it similar, in a way, to Pinocchio? It's a shell, a dummy, a hollow toy which is wishing to be "real" and loved?
Phil 2 ( NIV )​
Who, being in very nature God,​
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing

He made himself a dummy. A puppet. An empty vessel. But... he didn't like it, and he was not happy. But, he did it for his friends and the whole world, so they could be happy and feel loved. Agape.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Who, being in very nature God,did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing
He made himself a dummy. A puppet. An empty vessel. But... he didn't like it, and he was not happy. But, he did it for his friends and the whole world, so they could be happy and feel loved. Agape
Thats interesting. Will think on this

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That book! I vaguely have memory of it. I haven't thought of that book in years.

Nostalgia. I loved that book as a young child.

Edit: sorry for butting in i just got excited and happy cuz I loved that book and havent thought of it in years...and now I know the title of it.
Yeah, I don't know why it popped into my head. I have such wonderful memories of the books I read my children. Goodnight Moon, Pokey Little Puppy, Millions of Cats.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hello,

When I first thought of this question, I was contemplating which books of the OT were Jesus' favorites. However, I decided to open the question to include any books to increase the opportunity for diverse answers, perspectives, and contributions.

Thank you,
He'd have been tickled to see what a great influence he had on the Harry Potter books.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The topic of the thread is: What were Jesus Christ's favorite books?
The question appears to assume that Jesus could read. As Bart Ehrman says >Could Jesus Read? | The Bart Ehrman Blog<, probably not.

Perhaps the question might be phrased as, Which books in the Tanakh appear most to have influenced the various authors of the NT in their respective constructions of a life-of-Jesus narrative?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What in God's name? Please. If this is your attitude? I'll remind you, that you replied to me. :kissingheart:
I lightheartedly joked about a child's book. I gave you the benefit of the doubt when you confused it with a beatrix potter book. but then twice more you conflated it with other unrelated children's stories. So, no, you aren't actually uninformed about the book. You simply want to mock it, your last comment being the pinocchio one.

Betho_br

The question appears to assume that Jesus could read. As Bart Ehrman says >Could Jesus Read? | The Bart Ehrman Blog<, probably not.

Perhaps the question might be phrased as, Which books in the Tanakh appear most to have influenced the various authors of the NT in their respective constructions of a life-of-Jesus narrative?

Luke 24:27

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

According to doctor Lucas, Jesus knew how to read and translate the Scriptures. The Greek word means this.​

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Luke 24:27

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

According to doctor Lucas, Jesus knew how to read and translate the Scriptures. The Greek word means this.​

The key verb in Luke 24:17 is διερμηνεύω [diermēneuō] meaning 'explain', 'interpret'. That means they discussed one or more texts they knew. But that doesn't require them, or Jesus, to be able to read, only to listen to those of their religion who could. It's not impossible that Jesus could read, even though it's unlikely, but I suggest you keep in mind that Jesus' ability to read is an assumption against the odds.

Bear in mind too that the author of Luke, whoever he was, never met an historical Jesus, and anything he says about Jesus is hearsay, not personal knowledge, plus his own construction. The same is true of all the NT authors. The first gospel is Mark, which shows clear signs of literary design, and bases not a little of its tale on parts of the Tanakh. The other three gospels follow the design of Mark, editing it by omission and addition to tell the story they way they respectively prefer, though the author of John at a greater distance from Mark than the authors of the other two.

Betho_br

The key verb in Luke 24:17 is διερμηνεύω [diermēneuō] meaning 'explain', 'interpret'. That means they discussed one or more texts they knew. But that doesn't require them, or Jesus, to be able to read, only to listen to those of their religion who could. It's not impossible that Jesus could read, even though it's unlikely, but I suggest you keep in mind that Jesus' ability to read is an assumption against the odds.

Bear in mind too that the author of Luke, whoever he was, never met an historical Jesus, and anything he says about Jesus is hearsay, not personal knowledge, plus his own construction. The same is true of all the NT authors. The first gospel is Mark, which shows clear signs of literary design, and bases not a little of its tale on parts of the Tanakh. The other three gospels follow the design of Mark, editing it by omission and addition to tell the story they way they respectively prefer, though the author of John at a greater distance from Mark than the authors of the other two.
Ok. This word διερμηνεύω was used in reference to word translation games that existed between nations at that time.