• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was last movie you watched?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Haha, Shyamalan is funny. So, what you are saying is that, to you, if you go onto Rotten Tomatoes and a movie has 59% or less you are not going to bother with it, as critics set what is a good movie and what is not?
The three metrics I've been pointing out in this little debate were a) critical review b) commercial success and c) audience reception.

If you want to use Rotten Tomatoes as your source, then be aware that is is both a collection of critical reviews and also has a section devoted to audience reviews. Shyamalan's latest movies failed by critics and by audiences.

Tarantino, on the other hand, just keeps producing movies that get good overall reviews, great audience reception, and are almost all extremely commercially successful.

I assume, in a discussion about movies, that everything said is to be taken as subjective. I shouldn't need a disclaimer saying "oh, well my subjective perspective on Tarantino is that he sucks". Then again, this is a world where Tarantino movies are paradigm shattering and Nolan movies are a mind ****.
Then all I'd ask for is consistency. :)

It was pointed out that Tarantino should just stop, so it makes sense to point out that in terms of critical reception, audience reception, and commercial success, he just keeps winning every single time. :shrug:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You make a solid point. People like simple, mindless movies that require little to no thought and Tarantino gives them what they want ;)

I'll give him Basterds, that was a good movie. Maybe Reservoir Dogs.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Les Misérables
Whatever possessed them to have Russell Crowe play/sing Javert is beyond me.​
Chasing Ice
Underwhelming, but some impressive photography.​

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I watched the first of the Bourne movies last night. I thought it was pretty corny.
And then I rewatched V for Vendetta. I think the line "People should not fear their government. A government should fear it's people" is the greatest movie line ever.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
MASTER OF ZEN it tells a story about Bodhi Dharma's journey to China....

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I heard Affleck is good in that one.

He usually gets criticized for bad or mediocre acting.

He is good in that one. Nothing too special or anything, just a solid performance.

Where he's starting to shine to me though is as a potentially great director. The three movies Gone Baby Gone, The Town and this were all movies i found very good.

I even watched Argo knowing the ending (someone ruined it for me) and still enjoyed it a lot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The Hobbit.

Really got into it and then...
they forgot to finish it.

the fish feces!!!!
I loved that movie. I also loved how everybody is smoking and stoned throughout much of it.

Premium Member
Saw Gangster Squad last night, it was pretty good. I was surprisingly entertained.

Premium Member
A Perfect Murder. I'm sure that it was a critical failure, but I think it's quite the hidden gem.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Waking Life for the umpteenth time. Every time I see this film, I get something different, usually followed by more frequent dreams for a week or so afterward

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Last night I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan after watching the Star Trek episode Space Seed

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Life of Pi

Nice story and awesome visuals. The serious problem for me was that i found the guy in the leading role to be a major turn off, which impacted the whole experience.

Cloud Atlas

Great movie. The best elements for me were the acting and the themes.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

I've watched almost all of Terry Gilliam's films, so it's a bit strange that I only got to this one just now, especially considering the phenomenal cast. Tom Waits, Christopher Plummer, Heath Ledger possibly in his last performance, as Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell were used as his substitutes after he passed away while still filming.
The background story is engaging, and I love the filming locations throughout London, sure did bring some memories and the thought that maybe another visit to London is in order.