• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the Big Bang

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Light of a given wavelength will pass through solids, liquids and gases IF they do not absorb light of that wavelength, i.e. they are said to be "transparent" to that wavelength.

Graves, you may have noticed, tend to absorb most wavelengths of light.
are you not wanting to believe in darkness?
(light may be abundant....but it's not everywhere)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hold on, hold on there a moment! Maxwell, Michelson and Morley and Einstein would be turning in their graves to hear you say that.

Light, famously, does not require a medium for its propagation. It propagates very nicely in the vacuum of space.
Have you heard of dark energy, it is omnipresent?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If what moves, and where does "it" move? I think I've discovered why I can rarely make heads or tails of your posts, pronoun problems.
What I understand him to be implying is that time is not some discrete entity separate from perception or measurement. The fact is that universal existence continues to exist, and we call this unbroken continuity of universal existence the passing of time from the pov of a human awareness. And by observing/counting the cycles of the Sun, Moon, pendulums, crystals, atoms, etc., these proxies can serve as measurements of the persistence of existence, aka passing of time. We don't measure the 'passing of time' directly for the continuity of existence is passive, we use a proxy, something that moves.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Have you heard of dark energy, it is omnipresent?
I have yes, though I do not pretend to know much about it. It seems to be something of an ad hoc hypothesis to account for the apparent acceleration in the expansion of the universe.

But I don't think it has anything to do with light, which is electromagnetic radiation and carries energy that is obviously not dark! :)

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
`light` comes in a lot of `colors`,
most of those `colors` can't be seen by human eyes.
What is lit in the photon that emits the light we see ?
When the photon isn't lit, what do we see ?
Can the photons turn `off` and then back `on` ?
What turns the plasma in the photon `off` ?
The more one reads this, the sillary it seems !
It's the silly electrons isn't it !! Zooming there and here and then go again !

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Hold on, hold on there a moment! Maxwell, Michelson and Morley and Einstein would be turning in their graves to hear you say that.

Light, famously, does not require a medium for its propagation. It propagates very nicely in the vacuum of space.

Einstein's theory of relativity describes the bending or warping of the fabric of space-time by gravity. That means there must be something there to warp. Not only that, but quantum transactions apparently take place in a timeless, "distanceless" non-local environment/ether, which is "external" to our said space-time fabric, which is being called by some, including me, to be Quantumland. We're barely able at this point to even envision it, much less speculate on what qualities it might have. Whatever it is, it's accessed by quantum entities by bypassing Planck's minimum divisibility of space and time into the Quantumland beyond, and back.

Yes. :)

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Graves, you may have noticed, tend to absorb most wavelengths of light.

Whoa, I think you've given a new and erroneous meaning to Einstein's
"spooky action at a distance". And, like him, I believe that the Moon is still there even when we aren't looking at it.

Would graves "absorb most wavelengths of light" any differently if a lump of clay was buried instead of a body?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I have yes, though I do not pretend to know much about it. It seems to be something of an ad hoc hypothesis to account for the apparent acceleration in the expansion of the universe.

But I don't think it has anything to do with light, which is electromagnetic radiation and carries energy that is obviously not dark! :)
The light has to be radiating in a medium, and since dark energy is omnipresent, any light radiating anywhere in the universe is radiating through the dark energy. And if you don't believe dark energy exists, then how about zpe, it is said to be omnipresent.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

Thief

Rogue Theologian
We use stationary clocks to measure time.

"An atomic clock is a clock device that uses an electron transition frequency in the microwave, optical, or ultraviolet region[2] of the electromagnetic spectrum of atoms as a frequency standard for its timekeeping element."
Atomic clock - Wikipedia
think again.....

distance....the unit of measure....Man made
interval of graduation...(seconds minutes hours)......Man made
one divided by the other
time

not a force or substance

exchemist

Veteran Member
`light` comes in a lot of `colors`,
most of those `colors` can't be seen by human eyes.
What is lit in the photon that emits the light we see ?
When the photon isn't lit, what do we see ?
Can the photons turn `off` and then back `on` ?
What turns the plasma in the photon `off` ?
The more one reads this, the sillary it seems !
It's the silly electrons isn't it !! Zooming there and here and then go again !
1) Begging the question
2) Begging the question
3) No
4) Begging the question

So yep, pretty silly all round. o_O But you knew that.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Einstein's theory of relativity describes the bending or warping of the fabric of space-time by gravity. That means there must be something there to warp. Not only that, but quantum transactions apparently take place in a timeless, "distanceless" non-local environment/ether, which is "external" to our said space-time fabric, which is being called by some, including me, to be Quantumland. We're barely able at this point to even envision it, much less speculate on what qualities it might have. Whatever it is, it's accessed by quantum entities by bypassing Planck's minimum divisibility of space and time into the Quantumland beyond, and back.

Yes. :)
While I agree spacetime has geometry, according to relativity, that does not mean there is anything physical there. Though it is true that Einstein when originally commenting on this ideas did suggest that his spacetime geometry was the nearest thing to an "aether" that there seems to be. But Maxwell did not even need Einstein's spacetime to show that no medium is required. Maxwell's equations require no medium at all and predict that the speed of light should be independent of relative motion between source and receiver. In fairness, I suppose you could make the observation that, in Maxwell's equations, empty space has properties, namely the values of the magnetic permeability, μ and the electrostatic permittivity, ε. :)

So I guess that if you want to call the geometrical and electromagnetic properties of spacetime an aether, you could do so if you wished.

Your second claim however strikes me as nonsense. Quantum "transactions" are far from the magical things you seem to suggest. Quantum interactions are described by the time-dependent version of Schrödinger's equation. I remember calculating the time it takes for a photon to be absorbed by a molecular excitation at university (though I could not do it now, sadly). There is no mystery about it at all. The wavefunction of the electron or molecular vibration or rotation couples to the electric vector of the photon, generates a "transition dipole", and effects the transition. This is all modelled in undergraduate level QM.

"Quantumland" is just quantum woo.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Whoa, I think you've given a new and erroneous meaning to Einstein's
"spooky action at a distance". And, like him, I believe that the Moon is still there even when we aren't looking at it.

Would graves "absorb most wavelengths of light" any differently if a lump of clay was buried instead of a body?
No.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
While I agree spacetime has geometry, according to relativity, that does not mean there is anything physical there. Though it is true that Einstein when originally commenting on this ideas did suggest that his spacetime geometry was the nearest thing to an "aether" that there seems to be. But Maxwell did not even need Einstein's spacetime to show that no medium is required. Maxwell's equations require no medium at all and predict that the speed of light should be independent of relative motion between source and receiver. In fairness, I suppose you could make the observation that, in Maxwell's equations, empty space has properties, namely the values of the magnetic permeability, μ and the electrostatic permittivity, ε. :)

More than that, spacetime is warped by gravity. How can nothing be warped? And why is it referred to as a fabric?

So I guess that if you want to call the geometrical and electromagnetic properties of spacetime an aether, you could do so if you wished.

We're not talking about a matter of choice here, or something that's decided by a committee.

Your second claim however strikes me as nonsense. Quantum "transactions" are far from the magical things you seem to suggest. Quantum interactions are described by the time-dependent version of Schrödinger's equation. I remember calculating the time it takes for a photon to be absorbed by a molecular excitation at university (though I could not do it now, sadly). There is no mystery about it at all. The wavefunction of the electron or molecular vibration or rotation couples to the electric vector of the photon, generates a "transition dipole", and effects the transition. This is all modelled in undergraduate level QM.

"Quantumland" is just quantum woo.

I'm hardly suggesting anything magical, merely quantum transactions taking place in a timeless and distanceless (i.e. non-local) environment. That explains the double slit experiments and the EPR paradox. How can entangled particles coordinate from opposite sides of the universe instantly? Only if they're not affected by time and space. Theoretically, there only needs to be one electron in the universe, or one proton, neutron or photon. The only interpretation of quantum mechanics that works, i.e. explains all quantum weirdness, is the Transactional Interpretation (TIQM). We know that quantum mechanics works, we just need the correct interpretation to understand why.

Then what are you talking about, focusing on graves?

exchemist

Veteran Member
More than that, spacetime is warped by gravity. How can nothing be warped? And why is it referred to as a fabric?

We're not talking about a matter of choice here, or something that's decided by a committee.

I'm hardly suggesting anything magical, merely quantum transactions taking place in a timeless and distanceless (i.e. non-local) environment. That explains the double slit experiments and the EPR paradox. How can entangled particles coordinate from opposite sides of the universe instantly? Only if they're not affected by time and space. Theoretically, there only needs to be one electron in the universe, or one proton, neutron or photon. The only interpretation of quantum mechanics that works, i.e. explains all quantum weirdness, is the Transactional Interpretation (TIQM). We know that quantum mechanics works, we just need the correct interpretation to understand why.

Then what are you talking about, focusing on graves?
What? I'm not focusing on graves. Some clown asked me about them, God knows why, so I tried to answer.

Thanks for explaining you are talking about non-local effects in QM. I wasn't of course, just the simple stuff of everyday life, like molecular spectra. So we were rather at cross-purposes. One doesn't need TIQM (which I admit is all after my time at university) for anything in chemistry, so far as I can see. But I concede the EPR experiment may need it.

Thermos aquaticus

think again.....

distance....the unit of measure....Man made
interval of graduation...(seconds minutes hours)......Man made
one divided by the other
time

not a force or substance

Think again. Time, measured by vibrations in atoms. Time, measured independently of motion.