• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the Big Bang

David T

Premium Member
There's no evidence for what caused the Big Bang, which appears to be a perfect fire wall against information leaking from whatever existed "before". But I think it's obvious what happened. What existed, and apparently still does, is a non-local Quantumland--that is, a timeless and "distanceless" ether into which the universe, at the Big Bang, started expanding into. The difference between Quantumland and the Universe, is that at a given dimensionless point in Quantumland, it was made (or happened) to become something that was composed of three dimensions of distance and one of time that weren't infinitely divisible. Said another way, there became a limit to the divisibility of the ether/Quantumland which converted it, via the Big Bang, to the Cosmos or universe we all know and love. Those limits, which are specific, are known as Planck-space and Planck-time, and they resolved the 2500 year-old Xeno's Paradox (which see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes).

So, our universe is undergoing an accelerating expansion into/within this Quantumland/ether. Thus we can say we know what preceded the universe. And we can theorize that quantum transactions take place in the "external" Quantumland which would explain Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" and other quantum weirdness.

But the ultimate question still remains, what caused that initiation, that first instance of space-time as the result of the first limit to the divisibility of the ether from which it sprang--which is also known as the Planck Epoch? That ether, that Quantumland, is still there and accessible to quantum entities "through" the infinitesimal Planck space-time "gaps" in the fabric of our universe.
Quantum.mechanics is statistical analysis tool and thus a tool but it has no meaning.so to apply meaning to it is co equal to saying" based statistical analysis statistical analysis determines reality. FALSE because it's circular reasoning. But I have to say it is an improvement over dragons more star trek less medieval.
de616bafccf0deb068a2c7ab001ba6c2.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Cause and effect/event are actually one. We love to analyze stuff though, so we limit our view to smaller and smaller sections of our observations. The "forest for the trees" line comes to mind.

Which is why i stated as we understand it

And still causality did not exist pre bb.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Quote:
"What was the Big Bang"?

Was? It wasn´t anything and it isn´t anything but a silly theory.

And that's nothing but a simple declaration with a silly attempt at the logical fallacy of attempting to force a conclusion by intimidation.

ThePainevulTruth,
To me, it seems that all these great ideas of the beginning of the Universe, is just wild speculation, by a bunch of scientists who have no idea of what really happened. But no matter how absurd their dreams are there will always be some who believe them, because, just as evolutionists say, the only other explanation is Creation by God, and that is unthinkable.

Yes.

When you leave God out of His Creation, you have made the biggest mistake possible, slightly compared to leaving the speed of light, squared, out of the Energy formula. These wild speculations are what they come up with, with many of their speculations going against laws of nature.

The fact remains we have no clue either way.

Take the Idea of a Singularity; impossible, even though we know that 99.9 % of all atoms is space, if you took all the space out of the atoms that make up the earth, you would still have the size of a grapefruit, what about the billionions of stars, and the planets, which scientists have found out are more than the stars. Singularity??? At least scientists should dream up something, at least a little more sensible.

Well, most admit that the singularity didn't exist. It's merely a mental place holder for the nothingness that existed one Planck Epoch before the universe appeared at a finite time and with finite dimensions. The most important concept to understand about the universe is that its existence is enabled by the divisibility of its space and time.

Then, just as impossible, is the Big Bang Theory, which is not fit to be even considered, because it goes against basic principles, that all scientists know; explosions cause chaos, the larger the explosion, the greater the chaos. Scientists say The Big Bang Was the greatest explosion ever. Let’s come up with a rational theory, please!!!

Chaos yes, explosion no. Expansion of chaos which evolved into order because of the expansion, is I think the best way to express it.

Even if any of these theory were possible, there would still be a great problem, what or WHO caused these things to happen, because they cannot happen in the Universe we know today.

The universe didn't happen in a universe, it happened in a timeless, distanceless non-local ether that I've been calling Quantumland--and that's "where" quantum transactions take. It's that Quantumland into which the universe is expanding.

Also, don’t try to use the concept of Zervanism, which states; with endless time and endless chances to happen, anything can happen. Scientist have even put this to the mathematical test, and found that chances greater than, I believe, 40,000 to 1 cannot happen, no matter how long infinity is. They have found that the chance that the Universe, just Happened, the way we find it today, is 1to all the atoms in the known Universe. Absolutely Impossible!!

I wasn't familiar with that term, but while I don't have the wherewithal to argue against, it intuitively appears to be just another empty argument with a name. Yes, we can't rule out spontaneous creation just and we can't rule out a supernatural creation, but that's a far as we can go.

This is the preposterous ideas of scientists who try to leave God out of His own Creation.

Which is just as preposterous as saying God caused it. There is no evidence either way, and if God exists, it has to be because It designed it that way...for a reason--the gift of free will.

What caused the cause of the big bang?

If we can answer the first, we'll have the second, if there is one.

Very insightful.
What is?

There is evidence for the Big Bang, primarily the still expanding universe, which if you put that into reverse is one reason that the Big Bang seems the most plausible explanation.

Well, at least you come to a point, one Planck Epoch after the imaginary "singularity".

But the trouble is that when you throw this out, scientists then start asking, "Who created God?" So it gets us no further in our understanding of the universe.

Because we don't have, and probably never will have, evidence either way. Making stuff up about it is how the theists came up with God. The answer appears to be unknowable.

I could, but I do not feel like it. You really should look into it yourself. I know that most of the atheists here fit that category. Very few if any are anti-theists or strong atheists.

I just recoil at making conclusions based on anecdotal evidence. So until shown otherwise, I leave the door open. I would look into it myself, but there's no relevant study or whatnot available that I know of.
So you did not understand the video or the source that you sited.

Yes, I do understand it, especially where it talks about slowing expansion, which is now shown not to be the case, and previously compacted matter, which is pure unfounded supposition.
Once again, only the universe was we know it would have been in a very small volume.
T

???

The source you have does not say that they entire universe was in a very small area.

But the whole theory is based on the expansion of the universe, meaning it is ever larger, meaning looking backward, it is ever smaller but does not go back to something infinitely small--the singularity.

And the video itself pointed out how the "singularity" was a misleading term to people like you. Even your Wiki article does not rule out an infinitely large universe.

But it is ruled out by definition. Something infinite cannot expand. It's the same thing as saying that the infinite got larger or more infinite.

You have an oversimplified view of the universe at the time of the Big Bang. Watch the video again. The "singularity" was only the time when the laws of the universe as we know them break down. It does not mean that everything was concentrated in one point.

I've said that repeatedly. It's a construct, an imaginary point zero backed in from before the first actual moment of the universe.

You appear to be conflating our observable universe, and it is argued that the actual universe is at least many times larger than that, with the entire universe.

That's what I was talking about with the universe expanding pushing the red shift beyond light speed and making the universe no longer being observable beyond that point or "edge"?
And again, the expansion of the universe is accelerating. The import of that is as huge as the universe itself.

Unfortunately, based the experimental results of quantum mechanics, one can only conclude the mental Universe is ALL that exists

So we're back to the Moon not being there unless we're looking at it a la the Copenhagen Interpretation which is all but gone were it not for the bitter clingers. RE: the Transactional Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, which is slowly being accepted, albeit with much kicking and screaming.

But regardless of the evidence and the results, the clockwork Universe materialists are not going to let go of their cherished beliefs. The clockwork Universe is easier on the brain. People simply refuse to accept the idea the Universe is complex, messy, and not possible to represent with clean mathematical equations. People just love their own dogmas.

None more so than the dogma that if God wanted us to understand the universe, He would have explained it to us--which would put us back to before the Stone Age.

Colliding membranes (various string/superstring theories)
Vacuum bubble (see previous attachment, quantum theory, a universe from nothing)
Colliding universes (Dr Mersini-Houghton et at)
Spawning universes (Dr Lee Smolin et al)

But those are all just different names for the same thing, explanations with no evidence to support them--like calling God a pink unicorn.

We understand that cause precedes event

But this case is so enigmatic and absent of evidence, that we can't assume there was a cause, only that it happened--and if God did do it, it's that way by design. :)

, and many attempting to pin down the mechanism for the bb make the mistake of assuming causality was definable in the same or similar terms pre bb.

Exactly so, and the mechanism could as likely be supernatural as natural.

Until the laws of thermodynamics began to coalesce around 10e-34 of a second after the event causality has no meaning. The natural laws were not there at the start, the substance of the universe was far to dense for the natural laws as we understand them to exist.

Just because we can't deduce a cause, or there wasn't a cause, that doesn't mean the impetus for natural law wasn't there from the beginning. Something had to be working to coalesce order out of all that chaos from the beginning, or we'd still be stuck at the beginning.

Was the raw material there at the start? As far as i know that is an unknown, even the world leading cosmologists don't know, hence the reason for so many hypothesis.

It either had to be there at the beginning, or created along the way by the same incomprehensible mechanism that initiated the BB in the first place, and I see no evidence for the latter.

There are many competing Aeither theories:

Aether Theory 101 | Blue Science

I like this cause for the Big Bang: Our Big Bang was the result of a star collapsing to a black hole in another previously existing space-time dimension.

That's no more or less reasonable, or likely, than saying God did it. They're both made up out of whole cloth.

The evidence being the energy going into accelerating the expansion of our Universe has to come from somewhere.

That's the same thing as saying the universe had to come from somewhere. Lack of evidence is not evidence.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Quantum.mechanics is statistical analysis tool and thus a tool but it has no meaning.so to apply meaning to it is co equal to saying" based statistical analysis statistical analysis determines reality. FALSE because it's circular reasoning. But I have to say it is an improvement over dragons more star trek less medieval.

Yes, quantum mechanics makes reliable predictions, but until the Transactional Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, we couldn't understand why it worked. But it's not a simple answer that works in a message board format. Which forces me to recommend a book. I know, we all want answers now, and a book is not now, but at least it's there if you're really interested and trust that I wouldn't send you on a BS chase.

Anyway, take it or leave it, see for yourself...or not:
51Ni%2BSTuj3L.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh my TLDR.

Painful, let's break this down a bit. You do not seem to understand the Big Bang theory even less then I do, do you wish to discuss it?

ChristineM

Premium Member
But those are all just different names for the same thing, explanations with no evidence to support them--like calling God a pink unicorn.

But this case is so enigmatic and absent of evidence, that we can't assume there was a cause, only that it happened--and if God did do it, it's that way by design. :)

Exactly so, and the mechanism could as likely be supernatural as natural.

Just because we can't deduce a cause, or there wasn't a cause, that doesn't mean the impetus for natural law wasn't there from the beginning. Something had to be working to coalesce order out of all that chaos from the beginning, or we'd still be stuck at the beginning.

It either had to be there at the beginning, or created along the way by the same incomprehensible mechanism that initiated the BB in the first place, and I see no evidence for the latter.

Wrong, they are 4 completely different scenarios with variation's, interesting that you did not spot that. Also they are what you asked for and Google is you friend.

Is it? Please explain how you consider causality enigmatic. Also the evidence is quite conclusive, the history of the universe is known to 10e-43 of a second so 10e-34 and closer to know is well understood.

Please provide evidence of god magic or as you choose to call it, supernatural.

Straw man. The facts show that the natural laws of this universe did not exist at the time of the bb.

Assumptions based on your personal faith, there is no evidence for anything prior to the Planck epoch beginning 10e-43 of a second so I'm not surprised you don't see any.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Oh my TLDR.

Painful, let's break this down a bit. You do not seem to understand the Big Bang theory even less then I do, do you wish to discuss it?

So you're double negative is saying that I could not be more ignorant than you, I think. But seeing the ease with which you dismiss or ignore things, it explains a lot.

David T

Premium Member
Yes, quantum mechanics makes reliable predictions, but until the Transactional Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, we couldn't understand why it worked. But it's not a simple answer that works in a message board format. Which forces me to recommend a book. I know, we all want answers now, and a book is not now, but at least it's there if you're really interested and trust that I wouldn't send you on a BS chase.

Anyway, take it or leave it, see for yourself...or not:
51Ni%2BSTuj3L.jpg
10 scientists will give 8 answers as to "why". It works. Richard Feynman Said "hey it works." As to why a Stanley tape measure works is because it works. Zero meaning is math. Math is just a tool with no meaning. Below are A couple of quantum experts debating the results.
10184918_gfuasu.jpg

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
10 scientists will give 8 answers as to "why". It works. Richard Feynman Said "hey it works." As to why a Stanley tape measure works is because it works. Zero meaning is math. Math is just a tool with no meaning. Below are A couple of quantum experts debating the results.
View attachment 21220

Feynman (my candidate for the greatest theoretical physicist of the 20th century) neither suggested that there was no "why?" nor that itwasn't important and that we shouldn't seek to find the explanation. You might as well plant a 45 into any scientific curiosity that crops up, or that we stop studying gravity and how it might be tied into the GUT. It's truly ironic here, that it was the Wheeler-Feynman quantum handshake transaction, forward and backward in time, that led to Cramer's TIQM. Ruth Kastner revealed TIQM intuitively by characterizing transactions as taking place, not forward and backward in time, but occurring in a non-local "Quantumland", which is timeless [and distanceless -my word :)].

TIQM explains ALL quantum weirdness including all the double slit experiments and especially the EPR paradox. Add to that the Planck space-time limit to cosmic divisibility solves Zeno's Paradox, and voila, all we have left is gravity!
:hugehug:

David T

Premium Member
Feynman (my candidate for the greatest theoretical physicist of the 20th century) neither suggested that there was no "why?" nor that itwasn't important and that we shouldn't seek to find the explanation. You might as well plant a 45 into any scientific curiosity that crops up, or that we stop studying gravity and how it might be tied into the GUT. It's truly ironic here, that it was the Wheeler-Feynman quantum handshake transaction, forward and backward in time, that led to Cramer's TIQM. Ruth Kastner revealed TIQM intuitively by characterizing transactions as taking place, not forward and backward in time, but occurring in a non-local "Quantumland", which is timeless [and distanceless -my word :)].

TIQM explains ALL quantum weirdness including all the double slit experiments and especially the EPR paradox. Add to that the Planck space-time limit to cosmic divisibility solves Zeno's Paradox, and voila, all we have left is gravity!
:hugehug:
Feynman understood there is a way lot more involved than the math. We mutually agree about him as brillant. If you read what I wrote I don't disagree with your conclusions.

I have a simple cosmology its unbounded. It's neither expanding nor contracting nor stasis. It's not "provable" it , is most certainly is disprovable by a simple experiment. Build a perpetual motion machine.

Since none will ever exist, then my cosmology is fact. To deviate one must prove the deviation, by building a perpetual motion machine.

Cosmology itself is simple, debates about which perpetual motion machine theory is the correct factual theory can become extremely complex..... It's also the very smart being very dumb. Normal.....

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Feynman understood there is a way lot more involved than the math. We mutually agree about him as brillant. If you read what I wrote I don't disagree with your conclusions.

I have a simple cosmology its unbounded. It's neither expanding nor contracting nor stasis. It's not "provable" it , is most certainly is disprovable by a simple experiment. Build a perpetual motion machine.

Since none will ever exist, then my cosmology is fact. To deviate one must prove the deviation, by building a perpetual motion machine.

Cosmology itself is simple, debates about which perpetual motion machine theory is the correct factual theory can become extremely complex..... It's also the very smart being very dumb. Normal.....

Whoa, we just ran off the rails. We have to know a whole lot more to declare that the universe is a perpetual motion machine. We still have no clue as to why the expansion started, much less why or how its accelerating.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Straw man. The facts show that the natural laws of this universe did not exist at the time of the bb.

What "facts"? And what time, time zero? No, nothing existed then, or at least we know nothing about it or what preceded it. At time 10 to the -43 sec. the universe, and it's physical laws, existed, though matter and energy had not coalesced into their current forms.

[/quote]Assumptions based on your personal faith, there is no evidence for anything prior to the Planck epoch beginning 10e-43 of a second so I'm not surprised you don't see any.[/QUOTE]

I've never said anything else but that, and have no idea how you decided I thought otherwise.

David T

Premium Member
Whoa, we just ran off the rails. We have to know a whole lot more to declare that the universe is a perpetual motion machine. We still have no clue as to why the expansion started, much less why or how its accelerating.
If you look at the theories as they stand they are perpetual motion machine theories.
"There is no such thing as a free lunch except for the cosmos"

That's a common cosmological theme and is not true.

james blunt

There's no evidence for what caused the Big Bang, which appears to be a perfect fire wall against information leaking from whatever existed "before". But I think it's obvious what happened. What existed, and apparently still does, is a non-local Quantumland--that is, a timeless and "distanceless" ether into which the universe, at the Big Bang, started expanding into. The difference between Quantumland and the Universe, is that at a given dimensionless point in Quantumland, it was made (or happened) to become something that was composed of three dimensions of distance and one of time that weren't infinitely divisible. Said another way, there became a limit to the divisibility of the ether/Quantumland which converted it, via the Big Bang, to the Cosmos or universe we all know and love. Those limits, which are specific, are known as Planck-space and Planck-time, and they resolved the 2500 year-old Xeno's Paradox (which see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes).

So, our universe is undergoing an accelerating expansion into/within this Quantumland/ether. Thus we can say we know what preceded the universe. And we can theorize that quantum transactions take place in the "external" Quantumland which would explain Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" and other quantum weirdness.

But the ultimate question still remains, what caused that initiation, that first instance of space-time as the result of the first limit to the divisibility of the ether from which it sprang--which is also known as the Planck Epoch? That ether, that Quantumland, is still there and accessible to quantum entities "through" the infinitesimal Planck space-time "gaps" in the fabric of our universe.

God looked deep inside God's self and a loneliness occured
God held out Gods left ''hand'' and Said
''let there be light''
In a flash the light was created then gone
God then held out Gods right ''hand'' and Said
''let there be light''
In a flash the light was created then gone
God then placed Gods ''hands'' together and said
''let there be light''
In a flash the light was created and stayed
A + B = 1
God then recalled God's earlier work to create a BIg Bang.

ChristineM

Premium Member
What "facts"? And what time, time zero? No, nothing existed then, or at least we know nothing about it or what preceded it. At time 10 to the -43 sec. the universe, and it's physical laws, existed, though matter and energy had not coalesced into their current forms.

Assumptions based on your personal faith, there is no evidence for anything prior to the Planck epoch beginning 10e-43 of a second so I'm not surprised you don't see any.

I've never said anything else but that, and have no idea how you decided I thought otherwise.

Chronology of the universe

My post was quite specific, the time of the bb...

Wrong, the laws of this universe did not exist pre 10e-34 of a second. As to what existed... A very dense ball of plasma, until that ball has expanded many times thus reducing it's density it was impossible for the natural laws as we understand them to exist. You do not seem to realise how different the environment was immediately after the bb. For example, nothing above the quantum level existed, how do you expect laws appertaining to the natural universe to exist if there was no natural universe?

Perhaps because you said... And i quote "It either had to be there at the beginning, or created along the way by the same incomprehensible mechanism that initiated the BB in the first place, and I see no evidence for the latter."

sealchan

The Gods, looking down on our Universe, which to them is a box that they have not yet opened, still wonder, "Is there anyone alive in there or not?" Fearing to resolve this question in the negative they avoid measuring the state of said box.

Not, perhaps, being able to comprehend "what it is like" to observer our Universe from outside the necessity of its existence for our own, we may never truly be able to answer that question...nor speak with the living beings that theoretically may have such a perspective.